Mt Jefferson Dog Rescue

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.wmur.com/article/dog-rescue-mt-jefferson-hiking-new-hampshire/44643938
It does happen multiple times every year and most people are shocked that F&G will not expend resources to rescue a dog. I have encountered AT thru hikers with dogs that hiked from Georgia that have had to zero a couple of days while their dogs feet have recovered. I also have seen thru hikers carrying their dogs after the dog could not walk. They end up having to zero for a couple of days and in some cases, they have someone meet them in Gorham to send the dog home, or just quit their thru hike and reportedly in a couple of rare cases over the years just abandoned the dog. The ridgeline from roughly north of the Cog all the way to Madison seems to have particularly rough rocks and trail bed that really tears up pads. The stretch of the Mahoosucs from about Carlo Col over to Mahoosuc Notch also seems to have similar abrasive rock.

Caps Ridge Trail seems to be the worst, as its high elevation trailhead and get rough very early and stays that way to the summit.

The other issue that people often don’t consider is the longer term impact on joints. Many dogs are prone to joint problems. I’ve been up CR with a dog without incident but in hindsight I have concluded that for some trails (including CR) dogs are best left home. I’ve turned around in rough terrain before in order to avoid the dog getting injured. Dogs are excellent at finding their way, but I just don’t like taking the chance that the dog gets injured. Ethically folks have to make their own decisions. Dean Potter climbed and BASE jumped (wing suit too) with his dog.

Oh this one hits too close to home. I took my first dog everywhere with few problems, but the worst was when I lazily, stupidly, didn't put her booties on when we did Jefferson. Up Caps Ridge, decided to wander around the summit and around the backside. Just above treeline, I notice she's lagging back which was so not her. I go up to here, and her damn paws are cut up. I felt like the biggest ass in the world, and if anyone wanted to tell me it I wasn't about to argue with them. Dog was way to dedicated to ever whimper or let me know there was a problem until there was a real problem. Fortunately, I was able to wrap them and get her booties on. We sauntered on and while I will assume was in pain, never let on and we got back down uneventfully.

It still makes me mad almost 30 years later :mad::mad:

This hurts me deeply. I don’t understand why they would keep going after the first sign of trouble.

Oh this one hits too close to home. I took my first dog everywhere with few problems, but the worst was when I lazily, stupidly, didn't put her booties on when we did Jefferson. Up Caps Ridge, decided to wander around the summit and around the backside. Just above treeline, I notice she's lagging back which was so not her. I go up to here, and her damn paws are cut up. I felt like the biggest ass in the world, and if anyone wanted to tell me it I wasn't about to argue with them. Dog was way to dedicated to ever whimper or let me know there was a problem until there was a real problem. Fortunately, I was able to wrap them and get her booties on. We sauntered on and while I will assume was in pain, never let on and we got back down uneventfully.

It still makes me mad almost 30 years later :mad::mad:
I went through the same thing. My dog hiked with me for over two years, year round, no booties, never one issue. On our first round of the 52wav, we traversed the Baldfaces clockwise. I specifically went up the Slippery brook trail to avoid the steep south ledges of South Baldface for my dog. We made it over the range in fast time and after adding on Eagle crag, went down the Bicknell ridge trail, again as it is more dog friendly. About a mile from the car, I noticed my dog had a slight limp, thought he just pulled a muscle as he was moving at his normal gait. Got to the car and started home. I looked over at one point and he was licking his paw, I grabbed it and the skin was peeled off, upon further inspection, all his feet were the same. Not terrible to the point of a Vet visit, but still painful for him none the less. As we wrap up our second round of the 52wav as we speak, I have decided not to repeat the Baldfaces, they are amazing for sure, but there is no way my dog will go back up there. We are do de-listed peaks to substitute for that range. P.S. I tried booties and my dog is not having it, he hates anything like that.

I had to carry my dog from Adams to the Great Gulf trailhead via Buttress/Great Gulf on our 48 finish because, even having done every other peak, those rocks are something. I used a hammock chair and sit pad to fashion a sling. Baron never tolerated boots. I've never forgiven myself.

I had to carry my dog from Adams to the Great Gulf trailhead via Buttress/Great Gulf on our 48 finish because, even having done every other peak, those rocks are something. I used a hammock chair and sit pad to fashion a sling. Baron never tolerated boots. I've never forgiven myself.
That must have been a long and horrendous descent. That loose boulder field you have to cross near the bottom of Buttress must have been "interesting" carrying a dog.

I was running a hike day hike through Mahoosuc Notch one day using a very long car spot and the Bull Branch path that Outward Bound used to mark. We came in via the Notch trail and once we got in the tight section of the trail we started seeing spots of blood on the rocks. We eventually caught up with a Forest Service employee with his dog that was beside himself as his dog had worn out his pads on a fastpack through the Mahoosucs. He was a back country ranger in the WMNF and normally hiked with his dog when he was working and assumed his dog was in good enough shape to handle the Mahoosucs without an issue. His truck was parked at Grafton Notch so he was looking at a very long trip out. By the time we got up to him we were just about out of the notch and offered to have him and dog join us and we would give him a ride back to his truck. The dog seemed to be able to walk as long we were off trail in the leaves. Even the old Bull Branch road had a "soft trail bed". Once we freed up some space for a dog and extra person, we dropped him and his dog back off at his truck.

I have run into this type of disbelief of dog owners about their dogs in the past more than a few times. Dogs usually try to avoid showing pain until the point where they are in major pain and many will hike to the point where they cannot hike anymore. A dog owner would not personally beat their dog but unless the dog is trained and acclimated to dog booties, it just seems that there are some of the 4ks and couple of other areas where dogs should be allowed a pass on their 4K list (as if the dog really is keeping track).

Last edited:
I went through the same thing. My dog hiked with me for over two years, year round, no booties, never one issue. On our first round of the 52wav, we traversed the Baldfaces clockwise. I specifically went up the Slippery brook trail to avoid the steep south ledges of South Baldface for my dog. We made it over the range in fast time and after adding on Eagle crag, went down the Bicknell ridge trail, again as it is more dog friendly. About a mile from the car, I noticed my dog had a slight limp, thought he just pulled a muscle as he was moving at his normal gait. Got to the car and started home. I looked over at one point and he was licking his paw, I grabbed it and the skin was peeled off, upon further inspection, all his feet were the same. Not terrible to the point of a Vet visit, but still painful for him none the less. As we wrap up our second round of the 52wav as we speak, I have decided not to repeat the Baldfaces, they are amazing for sure, but there is no way my dog will go back up there. We are do de-listed peaks to substitute for that range. P.S. I tried booties and my dog is not having it, he hates anything like that.
Years ago I was on this loop and met two guys with a dog who was bleeding from all 4 paws and looked to have some cracked nails. When I pointed it out he said "Yah this is kind of a tough one but he's fine". 😡

It's unfortunately all too common to see people with dogs who are hurting, thirsty, etc and the owners do not provide the proper care for them. Really pisses me off when I see that.