Mt Jefferson, Sunday Feb 15, '09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnL

Reaction score
The a cappella rendition of the Marseilles had a little something extra on it during our Sunday morning drive as we headed northward for our date with the mountain formerly known as Mooshillock. The skies got progressively cloudier the further north we got and by the time we got into Franconia Notch there were flakes of snow dancing toward our windshield.
“Wait ‘til we get above the Notch.”
“Yeh, it’ll be clearer up north.”
However the further north we went the grayer the sky became and with it, our hopes of a clear day in the Presidentials faded. Rick, Amy and I mulled over other possibilities.
We met up with Joni at a relatively crowded parking lot at Marshfield and headed up the trail at just about 9:00 sharp. We wore snowshoes round trip and the trail was well packed out ahead of us. We caught up with several groups on the way up before breaking treeline. As we were passing one group, we were told we needed to wait for women up ahead taking a bio break. We waited and chatted for a while. After what we thought was a long time Rick commented, “Our women are faster than yours.” Crickets! The audience was dead. This is a joke, you people! Can’t you take a joke?! At that point we all wanted to get out of there. It was time to move on. Finally the ladies were ready and we headed out, our two groups meshed together like a cross threaded screw. At last the gent in front of me pulled over and asked, “Would you like to go ahead?” I could now tell he had a solid grasp of the obvious. “Thanks,” I said flashing my friendliest smile. We soon put them to our stern.
After a steady dose of bobbing and weaving under the low snow covered branches and getting the requisite piles of snow on the backs of our necks, we broke above treeline and got our first glimpses of the peaks above us. We were just climbing out of the clouds and into the great wide open.
We spent the next couple hours spinning in circles, overcome with the sensory overload of the cobalt blue sky, white peaks, thick undercast, swirling mists, taking photo after photo, walking into deep snow and across crunchy perfect Styrofoam snowpack, talking to innumerable smiling faces (a few of them familiar) making their way across the ridges, and finally planting our feet on the summit of Mt Jefferson. The breeze forced us off the summit to a sheltered spot where we ate lunch in the warm glow of the sun. The encroaching mists and lifting of the undercast forced our hand and we retraced our steps.
On our return trip we took a lower track on the slopes of Mt clay, parallel to the Gulfside Trail but just above the treeline level. It was tracked out earlier by a group we had passed on the way up. It saved us some time, effort, elevation and it was a lovely walk as well. Finally we dipped low enough to be consumed by the clouds and after encountering two walking mirages descending towards us, we disappeared into the invisible opening in the trees. We were treated to a light snowfall as we descended through the trees and back to the parking lot. It was 2:20 and we said our good-byes to Joni and after a push out of our parking space by Marshie and friend, we were on the road again.
Photos are here. http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2734108210027359582Eihelw?vhost=outdoors I have noted the photos that were taken by Amy, Joni and RickB in the photo file names. Thanks for sharing! The rest are mine.

JohnL

short cut???

while climbing the jewel trail monday my partner and i noticed the short cut just above treeline...we also noticed the damage you did to all the fragile trees.we stayed on the trail...

while climbing the jewel trail monday my partner and i noticed the short cut just above treeline...we also noticed the damage you did to all the fragile trees.we stayed on the trail...

If you'd been the first ones up there after the snow had blown in, as we were, you wouldn't have been able to "stay on the trail...". In fact, if you followed the snowshoe-broken track up Clay, you were off it several times.
It has been a traditional approach to Jefferson, when conditions were appropriate (and they were), to contour on snowfields around to Sphinx Col from treeline on Jewell. Our group is as environmentally sensitive as any I've ever associated with and we've confronted people damaging the fragile terrain and flora on numerous occasions. And, indeed, in many years we've broken countless spruce branches just trying to find and stay on the Jewell Trail in deep, loose blown snow. Both routes that currently contour around Clay encounter very few spruce traps (by design!). We were on top of the snow throughout. I was, though, very concerned with what people were walking on on Gulfside, in the area of Monticello Lawn, where there was little cover and yet the route through the rocks was indiscernible.
I fully endorse your point that shortcuts that leave a lasting mark on the landscape should be avoided. But unless some one tried to bare boot through there after our passage, there will be no trace. Is our route an attractive nuisance for others less concerned about the environment after the snow recedes, and so a bad idea? I don't think so; at that point, the spruce won't allow it.

Drewski,

If you read RickB’s trail conditions report of our trip you’ll notice that he describes the “shortcut” as “it was almost trap-free”. The regular trail on the other hand was riddled with postholes and spots where snowshoes had broken into the krummholz or were postholed by non-snowshoers. Wolfgang described the “shortcut” on the same day you hiked it as a “super highway bushwhack” which is not how someone would describe a trail that would show “damage to all the fragile tress” as you described it. For the most part the trail was hard packed, fast, and posthole free. Quite honestly, I remember only two on the entire length of the track. Take a look at the last photo in my album and you’ll see what the trail was like; hardpacked and between the trees.
If you saw damage you would have seen a lot more on the trail you were on than on the one we took.

JohnL

Drewski,

Whoever started that whack did a really good job of missing the scrub and staying on heavily laden snow pack and styrofoam. All the tracks that I saw that day were snowshoe tracks.