Mt. Jefferson trip, and subsequant reflections on hking and life

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmegillon149

Reaction score
This past weekend I went on a backpacking trip that truly put the past, present and future of my hiking experiences into some multi-faceted perspectives. I had decided a while back that Labor Day weekend would be my return to backpacking.

For those that do not know, I had a bad knee injury (teach me to volunteer my time to coach wrestling!) last May, and have been limited to day hikes only since last August. This is the first overnight trip since, appropriately enough, Labor Day 2005, when I did Bonds and S. Twin.

Originally, I wanted to do two nights in the Franconia/Pemi area and finally hit Owl's Head - long story short, Tea Leaf Green played the stone church on Friday night, had some errands to do anyway...so one night it was.

I decided that I really wanted to finally see the upper part of the Castle Trail (I adopted the lower part), and go somewhere not too crowded. I settled on the Perch. I started Sunday on the Castle trail, did a little brushwork (might as well if I'm out there), then up Israel Ridge to the campsite. It wasn't until I reached the campsite and started writing in the log that I truly thought about the other time that I had done that exact route.

It was on day one of a four day backpacking trip in 2001 with Larissa, Kenny, Lincoln, Andrew and Ryan. Don't get me wrong, I obviously remembered the trip and knew the route, I talk about it every time I lead a trailwork day out there - but I hadn't sat down and thought about that trip, and all the subsequent ones in perspective.

Back then I was a college student in RI, and hiked a few times a year with my relatives, the most significant trips were that presi trip in 2001, and Franconia 2002. Back then hiking in the Whites was a big deal to us. Everything was planned out way in advance, totally coordinated, etc.

While I had done lots of outdoor stuff in high school, and a little in college, this trip truly re-ignited the interest. I actually used hiking as the theme of my architectural thesis. I'd always been interested in architecture that was in remote places and tied to nature (I love the work of Frank Lloyd Wright, James Cutler, Fay Jones, etc.) - so "hiker buildings" were a perfect avenue to bridge my architectural interests and hobbies.

After graduation I moved to NH. Hiking is now what I do at least 20-30 weekends a year. I am in a club, lead trailwork days, etc. A large percent of the people I know in NH are people I met through hiking. I now often decide to hike in the Whites on a whim, sometimes I decide in the car exactly what trail to take.

What used to require planning, and be a big deal, has turned into the exact opposite The rest of that crew has gone the opposite route and doesn't hike anymore. Kind of odd, those trips ruled, they are some of the most fun events in my life. Those backpacking trips are a huge reason why I chose to live in NH. We all started with a similiar mindset going in, and the results could not be more different. Its interesting that it went on the become my primary interest, but not theirs...

I also was exposed to differing perspectives while I was camping at the Perch. When asked if I had been there before, people were suprised that I had been there six years ago, as they had not been hiking for six years. Makes you wonder if they will still be hiking in six. Maybe I won't even be, doubt it, but who knows.

The next day I summited Jefferson (had it all to myself!), went down over the Castles, then did some more brushing. All in all beautiful day.

Going down the Castles, I was thinking "how could I have waited until now to hike here?" To think, years ago hiking was this novel thing, everywhere was totally new and an adventure. Here I am now, finding it odd when I haven't been to a marquee spot in the White Mountains. I then followed up with a section of trail where I actually have a sense of ownership. Thats not something I thought of years ago. I especially never thought that while hiking up the Castle Trail that I would someday co-adpot that very trail (or any trail for that matter) five years in the future.

It's funny how interests and paths in life are different for people with similiar starting or even mid-points. This goes way beyond just hiking. Going to wrestling alumni events has a similiar amosphere. I look back at things I did, and who I shared in these experiences with, and its funny to see where they are in relation to these things, other things or even where they are in my life, their life, the lves of each other, etc. The same goes when looking back on the things I am no longer involved in such as football and canoe camping.

What we choose to do differs for all of us, what situations we fall into does as well. Not saying its right or wrong for anyone to pursue or not pursue anything in particuliar, just saying its interesting how these things work out.

Not sure if I made any points in this blog entry, but hopefully I sparked some thought and reflection. Probably more useful to influence one to think about something, than it is to influence one how to think about something.

Back to hiking, its why I like solo hiking, which I don't do a real lot of. As evidenced by this entry, which was mentally composed yeasterday on the trail, my mind wanders in truly reflective ways when there is little distraction. Hiking with my friends is great fun for the social aspect, but solo teaches me more about myself. Guess thats why I will always do both.

jmegillon149 said:
... I actually used hiking as the theme of my architectural thesis. I'd always been interested in architecture that was in remote places and tied to nature (I love the work of Frank Lloyd Wright, James Cutler, Fay Jones, etc.) - so "hiker buildings" were a perfect avenue to bridge my architectural interests and hobbies.

Along these same lines, I had the opportunity to see the "Lon Chaney Cabin" a few weeks ago, designed by the noted LA architect Paul Williams and built about 100 years ago shortly before his (Chaney's) death in the Sierra west of Big Pine. Still in very good condition, it's used by the USFS as an outpost in the backcountry.

Very cool! When you hike alone you think more, as well as see more and hear more. Glad the knee is stable and ready to hike. Nice TR! I'll check that link.

Happy Trails :)

jmegillon149 said:
Probably more useful to influence one to think about something, than it is to influence one how to think about something.....

....Hiking with my friends is great fun for the social aspect, but solo teaches me more about myself. Guess thats why I will always do both.

Very well said on both accounts. Glad you had such a wonderful, and thoughtful experience. I've gone up Jefferson via the Caps Ridge trail many times, but not the Castles yet. I need to go exploring there. Thanks for the reminder and inspiration. Nice trip report! :)