Mt Kineo

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cp2000

Reaction score
Howdy!

Can anyone tell me if there is a trail to the summit of Mt. Kineo.

Thanks

Might be helpful to know which one you're talking about ;) :

Maine

or

NH.

(From your avatar info I'm guessing the latter . . . )

(I'm sensitive to this sort of stuff since an experience I had in the middle of the night several years ago. Got paged for a SAR mission, called for the info and heard the location as near Skokomish, WA. While rushing out, I got a phone call with more details. This time I heard the location as Skykomish, WA (which is what I had actually been told the first time.) The difference is about ninety miles and a ferry ride for the former but not the latter. :eek: It would have been a very long time before anyone, including me, knew that I was headed to the wrong place.)

Last edited:
yip

The NH kineo.....On all the maps Ive seen it seems as if the trail just goes bellow the summit?

Nope, the trail doesn't go over the summit.

If I remember correctly, the summit (NH) has a small sign and a cannister and it involved a bit of bushwacking off the Mt. Kineo trail. The woods were not too thick though, quite the pleasent little walk!

Actually, for reaching the summit of this peak, do people usually bushwhack in from the Mount Kineo Trail, or from the nearby road?

Nate most folks go from the height of land and follow the ridge line to the summit. However, there are some scappy spots along the ridge, not open woods the entire way. Off the ridge itself, the woods are much more open.

I was there last year and did the wack form the height of land. Definately avoid staying on top of the ridge as just below it is MUCH more open. This is what I would call a "cakewack"! :D

If you poke around the summit area a little, you can find a few decent viewpoints. It's a fun place and interesting woods plus, if you hit it right, you won't get ripped to ribbons! Note that the lower part of the eastern section of the Mt Kineo trail passes through a very wet and overgrown area. I was there during a dry time and it was still quite wet. Take care when heading back to the trail not to drop too far down the ridge else it might get messy.

In summer I climbed it from the HP of Mt Kineo Trail and I remember a lot of ferns

I think that road is not plowed in winter so I climbed it from 118 and Hubbard Brook Trail, definitely more challenging