Mt Madison, 6/9

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blaze

Reaction score
Great day for waterfalls! Ascent via Brookbank/Brookside/Watson Path, with a short stint on Valley Way. Descent via Osgood/Valley Way.

Gordon Falls
p1823245495-4.jpg

Jonathan's obligatory wet leaf shot =)
p1874944568-4.jpg

Tama Falls
p1635905941-5.jpg

white ladyslipper
p1835305964-4.jpg

Madison Hut emerges (briefly) from the mist
p1662647835-4.jpg

We saw only a few groups between the trailhead and the summit, despite an overflowed parking lot at Appalachia.

Beautiful pics, Blaze. I have a newbie photographer question, if you don't mind: in the two falls photos, how do you get that effect with the water? Does it involve keeping the shutter open a bit longer? I've seen many more experienced photogs get that effect but have never asked this question of any of them.

Great day for waterfalls!

And great waterfall photos! What tripod do you use on such a big hike, and what does it weigh? I love the concept of the Gorillapod, but in practice I rarely find a suitable attachment for it.

We saw only a few groups between the trailhead and the summit, despite an overflowed parking lot at Appalachia.

No doubt ... Brookside plus Watson sure beats the Interstate known as Valley Way :)

Beautiful pics, Blaze. I have a newbie photographer question, if you don't mind: in the two falls photos, how do you get that effect with the water? Does it involve keeping the shutter open a bit longer? I've seen many more experienced photogs get that effect but have never asked this question of any of them.

Thank you! Yes, these shots are done with longer exposures. It helps to use a tripod, and a dark filter (polarizer or neutral density) allows you to use a slower shutter speed. I used a polarizer.

And great waterfall photos! What tripod do you use on such a big hike, and what does it weigh? I love the concept of the Gorillapod, but in practice I rarely find a suitable attachment for it.

No doubt ... Brookside plus Watson sure beats the Interstate known as Valley Way :)

Thanks Mohamed! I used a Dolica AX620B100. It weighs 4 pounds. It's currently $39 on Amazon... comes with a ballhead and a carrying case.

http://www.amazon.com/Dolica-AX620B100-62-Inch-Proline-Tripod/dp/B001D60LG8