Mt. Mansfield, VT

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keepin' on

Reaction score
I'm going to be in the Mt. Mansfield area the begining of July. I'm looking for any and all info I can get about the peak and surrounding trails. Google has been of limited help this go around.....trails.com must be forking over tons of cake to one very happy google!

Anyway, I'm looking to do a day hike or two, mid week, starting from the Underwood Campground. Any books/trail map resources/suggested routes? Peak bagging is not a must, I'm just as happy staying below treeline...

Thanks in advance.

keepin' on said:
Anyway, I'm looking to do a day hike or two, mid week, starting from the Underwood Campground.
I assume you mean Underhill State Park.

There are several trails from the campground to the several peaks, a typical hiker can easily find loops for 2 days. Best resource is probably the Mt Mansfield trail map in the Long Trail Guide, although if you're willing to wait till you get there I'll bet the park has a posted map that's all you need. Or look at topozone.com to get an advance look.

Talk to park personnel about appropriate trails after you get the day's weather forecast, Sunset Ridge (and The Chin in general) is spectacular in good weather but best avoided in bad weather.

A nice loop from the Underhill side is to go up the Maple, Frost/Wampahoofus trails to the ridge, go North along the Long Trail to the summit, and return via a short backtrack to Sunset Ridge back to Underhill. Avoid the Laura Cowles for descent. As Roy says - only go above treeline in good weather.

fyi -- I bought a copy of the Map Adventures map (from the GMC store in Stowe, I'm sure other places carry it), it covers the area in detail & has those nice mileage stats shown on each leg of the trails. (couldn't find a Tyvek version though, like the one of the White Mountains)

RoySwkr said:
I assume you mean Underhill State Park.
underwood, underwater, underwear....wait! Underhill! Yes, Underhill State Park.....it was [apparently] a long day yesterday!

Can anyone comment on the terrain in the area? Not that I rate anywhere near the level of hiker that most on VFTT are, I do manage to get out a bit more than the folks that will be with me and an a bit concerned they will be miserable.

Maple Ridge might be a bit daunting in parts for lesser travelled hikers - it has quite a few very steep pitches, and the trail tends to approach the edge of cliffs and then make abrupt turns. There is also one small 2-3' leap over a chasm. Sunset Ridge has a few steep spots as well, but not as dramatic.

Have fun, this is what I consider to be the finest mountain ridge run in Vermont!

Last edited:
Other possibilities

Another possibility is to come from the other side of the mountain up the Long Trail and stay overnight at Taft Lodge, if you and your party are interested in a relatively straightforward backpack. From Taft you can hike up to the ridge pretty easily in the morning for a potential summit all to yourself and a sunrise view. It's really the most beautiful time to be up there. I second the advice not to descend the Laura Cowles trail. It was steep and wet and almost treacherous a few weeks ago when I came down that way. While you're in the area of Underwear State park it's not that far of a drive to the Forest City/Burrows Trail loop on another great VT mountain, Camel's Hump.

And if you need a place for good food and local brews...The Alchemist in Waterbury is not too far away!

Just some other ideas. Have fun!

The Laura Cowles trail does get back into the trees sooner than Sunset Ridge so in order to get out of T-storms (in case you missed the turn around before they get there signs) it's a smarter escape.

Key I guess is if you are descending, take Sunset Ridge, if you are escaping, take Laura Cowles.

Not sure what I'd compare it to in NH, harder than Monadnock, easier than Washington, maybe on par with an Eisenhower & Pierce trip.

great replies everyone, thank you! This is a very good start....now it's time for me to do my homework and get a map/guide!!

keepin' on said:
Can anyone comment on the terrain in the area?
If you get up to the ridge, there are side trails with ladders and cables. There are also old woods roads starting at the park. I'm sure you can find something for every person & weather, as usual the problem is if everyone in a diverse group has to like the _same_ something.