Mt. Marcy 7.20.12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Hogan

Reaction score
Just shy of 15 miles (round trip) with 3,166 feet of elevation gain, Mt. Marcy is viewed by some to be a moderate hike.

I tend to give a hike of this length, ascent and potential extreme exposure more weight, although comparatively speaking there are many other summits more challenging in the Adirondack High Peaks.

Realistically, at this point in my life, each summit I achieve, regardless of distance and elevation, is a challenging and rewarding adventure. I try not to label any hike because each hike can be vastly different to different people and indeed, the same hike for one person can vary greatly depending on many factors.

However, it was the first visit to Marcy for my two hiking partners. The day was truly outstanding. Although the weather was forecast to be sunny with summit temperatures in the sixties, cloud cover persisted as we approached the summit and almost no breeze kept the temps higher than predicted. We were also fortunate to have no precipitation and excellent visibility.

The hiking conditions were pleasant throughout the day with mostly dry trails, refreshing temperatures and limited hiker traffic. Our round trip hike time was a respectable 9 hours (exclusive of R&R stops and food and snack breaks.) We lingered on the spectacular summit for over an hour.

We first shared the summit with a few folks already present when we arrived and when they departed we spent some glorious and rare time alone on (arguably) one of the most visited summits in the Adirondacks. That was exceptional!

Oh, how I count my blessings to be healthy and strong enough to enjoy these magnificent places. One never knows what will happen next, but for the time being, I continue to cherish the journey, the mountains and the company.

Today was a gift and I just couldn’t stop taking photographs. I have many photos to share so sit back, relax and enjoy.

After clicking on the link; select slide show; then click pause; then press the F11 key for full screen viewing. Use the (R & L) arrows to manually advance or recall the photos at your pace to leisurely view the pictures and captions.

https://picasaweb.google.com/107373...authkey=Gv1sRgCMTdtO_VpKD9mgE&feat=directlink

Last edited:
Today was a gift and I just couldn’t stop taking photographs. I have many photos to share so sit back, relax and enjoy.

After clicking on the link; select slide show; then click pause; then press the F11 key for full screen viewing. Use the (R & L) arrows to manually advance or recall the photos at your pace to leisurely view the pictures and captions.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1073739...eat=directlink

Would love to see your photos, but no luck:
404 NOT_FOUND
Unable to process request.

Photo link correction

I have recopied and redone the photo link to the Mt. Marcy TR.
I hope the correction works.
Sorry for the inconvenience.