Mt. Moosilauke 1/31/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDawg

Reaction score
Yesterday I did a long loop over Moosilauke via Asquam Ridge, Beaver Brook, Benton, Carriage, Snapper, Gorge Brook. Pulling into the parking area, there was one other car. I it were two fellas about my age who said they were going to the top and were looking to get some turns in on their skis. They had never been up Moose and I told them that people ski Gorge Brk. which was the route they said they were taking up. After a small chat I started off solo, barebooting on the Ravine Rd. at 8:45am, there was a fresh inch of snow and lots of tracks, mostly fox and rabbit. A little over halfway to the lodge I got tired of slipping back every step and switched to snowshoes, they stayed on all the way to treeline.

Asquam Ridge Tr. was previously broken out by a skier some time ago, it had since snowed on his/her tracks and I was breaking trail through 2" down low, up to 6" of snow up high with deeper drifts. Lots of overhanging braches on the lower parts of Asquam. I stopped at the upper Al Merrill Loop junction for pop-tarts and a water break. What a great trail!! It's moderate grades all the way to Mt. Jim made for enjoyable snowshoeing, I was feeling pretty good thanks to a boatload of American Chop Suey the night before.

From the summit of Jim (whose summit was just off trail) the trail drops down through an area of firwaves where you get a view of Moosilauke and Blue and soon I was at the Beaver Brook junction, where I stopped again for a snack and water. From here the route starts to get good (view wise), swinging around the south side of Mt. Blue I was greeted with views down into Jobildunk ravine, south towards Carr Mtn., and up to Moosilauke. The weather was awesome and the sun was making the trees shine bright white. Through this section down into the col it seemed as though around every corner was a different beautiful winter scene.

I stopped in the col between Moose and Blue to change my upper layers and have lunch. But what I was most looking forward to was HOT cocoa out of my thermos, which I was using for the first time. Having never used a thermos before I was skeptical it would actually stay as hot as I desired. But sure enough it did and seeing that steaming, hot goodness, it was like liquid gold!! I ate my lunch as fast I could for fear of getting cold and continued on. I stopped at the Benton junction to change out of snowshoes and into microspikes for above treeline.

Breaking out of the trees I was greeted along with the stunning views, a bitter cold wind out of the NWish direction. It wasn't enough to knock me around, but you had to be steady on your feet. At this point I was very glad I had switched into new dry layers because I stayed warm and happy. I kept moving over the mix of snow, ice, and rock, arriving at the summit around 1:40 where I would stay in the lee of the wind, mostly, for about a half hour taking in the sun and views, and snapping picture after picture. All the White Mountains were out of the clouds and basking in the sun, Franconia Ridge looked especially beautiful. After about 20 minutes on the summit, the guys I saw at the start came into sight making their way up from East Peak on Gorge Brook, battling the wind. I talked with them for a bit, they were from Conway and were nice enough to take my picture for me.

I set off down Carriage Rd., still in microspikes passing two guys who I would see later. No stopping to chat exposed here in the wind. Made it to the Glencliff junction around 2:40 and dropped my pack ( :eek: ) to head up to the South Peak for some pictures. The view from here is worth the short climb and after taking a bunch of pictures I was back down to the junction in no time. While having a snack and more hot cocoa (which was still pretty hot :) ) the two guys I passed above treeline caught up to me. They were from Southern NH, and after some chatting about gear and such, they were on their way down Glencliff.

Now for some reason here I put on my snowshoes again, before too long I realized I should have kept on my microspike because Carriage Rd. below the junction didn't have a hell of a lot of snow. Being too lazy to stop and change back I just kept going, passing a friendly group of hikers with two retrievers, a lab and a golden, I told them how I love retreivers and talked to them for a bit. The rest of the trip was kind of just blah blah blah, so I'll spare you that. Except I'll say that the last climb up from the Baker River crossing near the lodge kicked my ass just like it always does, they should put an escalator in there. :p

It was a great hike, my best winter climb to date. I had never had such clear views in my short winter climbing resume. I'm learning little things everytime out to make things easier, stay warmer, conserve energy, etc...Thanks to those who responded to my earlier question about Asquam Ridge Tr., it was a great route. 13.2 miles, 3200ish feet elevation gain, 8 hours, my longest winter hike to date.

Also, I keep singing my Solomon B52s praises, my feet were never near cold.

Pictures can be viewed here: http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/562333187MNIQWJ

Last edited:
Conditions on 2/10?

Hi,

I might be doing a hike up Mt. Moosilauke with a college group on Feb 10 (I usually hike with friends, but the free car ride is worth it... still, I'm questioning the experience of the people leading it :eek: ). Given the weather conditions the past week, do you think the mountain will be hikable with only traction (crampons, stable-icers, etc...) or will we need snowshoes? At this time, we're not planning on bringing snowshoes... can you recommend a trail from either 112 or 118 that won't require them?

Thanks,

Erin Rapacki

Based on the conditions I had 1/31, of the trails I used only the Carriage Road I would do without snowshoes. It was pretty hard-pack or soft ice from the Glencliff Tr. junction to Snapper Tr, powder over a consolidated base or rock/ice above along the ridge to the summit.

I'm not sure how much snow up high (if any) this next bit of weather Tuesday and Wednesday is going to bring, the mountain will probably get something. Ya can't be certain, conditions can change daily 'round these parts. :)

Last edited:
If you have them, please bring and use your snowshoes. Most of the trails on Moosilauke are used by skiers as well and postholes really make things difficult and potentially dangerous.

David Metsky said:
If you have them, please bring and use your snowshoes. Most of the trails on Moosilauke are used by skiers as well and postholes really make things difficult and potentially dangerous.

This morning we got a good 5" to 6" of snow in Lincoln so who knows how much they got higher up, although Lonesome Lake Hut is reporting 9".

By the way, TDawg, nice trip and report.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't feel comfortable starting a hike up a 4000 ft. mountain this time of year without snowshoes at least strapped to my pack.

6-8" here in Holderness (810 ft. ASL on the side of Mt. Prospect), more weather tomorrow, likely snow up high. Now they're forecasting snow for Wed. night, I'd say bring snowshoes. What's an extra few pounds to a reasonably fit college student? Better to have them and not need them than to have everyone you see think your an idiot for postholing up a trail. (at least thats my thinking :))

I'd say forget the crampons, you likely won't need them (can't speak for the Glencliff trails steep section), and replace that weight with something you will probably like having, snowshoes.

PS. - Thanks Tom.

Last edited: