Mt. Moosilauke, Aug 30, 2009 -- NH48 finish

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Cut and pasted from our hiking blog: http://trishandalex.blogspot.com
Accompanying pictures can be found there -- however, other people's photos are much better than mine, so folks, please continue to post your pictures and links! :)

Gorge Brook Trail, 7.6 miles roundtrip.

Please note: my camera had a smear on its lens, therefore the pictures came out a tad blurry. I will eventually incorporate the photography of other hikers into this entry (with their permission, of course).

On August 30, 2009, Alex and I reached the peak of Mt. Moosilauke, thus bringing to an end our fourteen month peakbagging quest. We have now ascended and descended, on foot, each of the 48 mountains that is included in the AMC's White Mountains Four Thousand Footer list.

We hiked during each month of the year, experiencing the unique beauties and challenges of every season. Along the way, we learned how to use snowshoes and Microspikes, and how to layer, delayer, and layer again. We recognized the value of balaclavas and chemical hand warmers. We found that we really, really don't like to posthole. We discovered that winter hiking can be a lot easier than summer hiking, and we realized that slugs are people too.

Most importantly, we've formed what I hope are lifelong friendships with certain wonderful hikers. We've also discovered that chocolate is the Eleventh Essential. Hmmm...maybe that's more important. Guess it's a tie.

Enough with the preliminaries....now on to the trip report.

The plan was for boots-on-trail at 8:30. Lots of folks showed up to hike with us, including MadRiver and Susan, happyhiker, BobnGeri, bikehikeskifish and his family, lawnsale, Tim&Val, BarkingCat, Salty, Joe and his family, Paradox, MadTownie and his daughter, and DaveBear.

There was a flurry of camera action just before we headed out...

...and then a few more moments of photo-taking at the information kiosk by Ravine Lodge.

With that, we were on our way toward Gorge Brook Trail.

Sage started off on her own two feet, tackling the rocks with aplomb and often hiking ahead of the crowd with MadRiver. She made it just under a mile and a half before asking to be carried. I put her inside my almost-empty winter pack and carried her as I would a sleeping bag. MadRiver and happyhiker graciously carried most of my gear so I could handle Sage.

Alex hiked with Amanda and Matthew, hikebikeskifish's two friendly and outgoing kids. Alex loves the company of other kid hikers.

At the "Last Water" point, we took a sit-down break. Almost half-way up!

When all were properly fed and sated, we continued on our way. Tim of Tim&Val offered to switch packs with me for a while so he could carry Sage. I gratefully accepted his offer.

We kept on truckin', the crowd chatting pleasantly and everyone enjoying the beautiful, sunny weather.

After a steady blur of hiking, talking, and shoelace-tying, we reached the first of the stone steps.

The kids continued upward while the adults followed closely behind. At one point we were able to turn and see Ravine Lodge below.

Dave Metsky and a few of his friends now joined our group. We made our introductions, then complimented him on the excellent craftsmanship of the trail, much of which he had fashioned himself.

Kids were getting tired (Sage even fell asleep in the backpack, though she vehemently denied it afterward), but luckily we were very close to the top. Everyone seemed to revive once we reached scrub. Sage woke up and was removed from the pack, then quite a few small stones were joyously rearranged as everyone took another break.

When the kids felt rested, we journeyed onward.

A short dip back down into the trees (where more rocks were picked up and moved around)...

...then we broke above treeline for good. Alex picked up her pace and moved quickly and confidently toward the summit. We could see and hear people above us, cheering her on.

Hugh was waiting close to the summit. He had started out well before us in case he needed extra time to ascend. He was all smiles as Alex and Sage approached. We paused for a few moments while they embraced, then we moved onward.

Alex approached the final steps under a hail of cheers. Geri, MadTownie, and bikehikeskifish formed a bridge with their hiking poles, and Alex hiked underneath them, followed by Sage, and then myself. Then, finally, we were at the high point. Folks at the top burst into applause and there was a lot of picture taking all around. Here we are, joined by bikehikeskifish's two kids.

Bob and MadRiver presented us with our official AMC NH48 patches.

Bob then presented Alex with a shirt that lists all the NH48 peaks on the back. I put it on over her turtleneck while Sage and Hugh watched.

Now it was time to relax and enjoy the moment.

Others at the top: Mohamed Ellozy, Silverfox, rocket21, una_dogger, MichaelJ, The Feathered Hat, Joe, Joe's wife (I'm sorry, I can't remember your name!) and their incredibly fast and strong young daughters, and many others. Please forgive me if I am forgetting anyone.

Dave Metsky, Mohamed Ellozy, Geri.

MichaelJ and Jason.

The Feathered Hat, Salty, Silverfox, Bob, and una_dogger.

Jason and MadRiver.

The Feathered Hat, Tuckerman, and Terra.

una_dogger, Geri, Silverfox, and Supermodel Rocket21.

Silverfox.

We hung out for an hour and a half, then the crowd split up and descended various routes. Alex and Sage wanted to stick with Amanda and Matthew, so our two families went back down Gorge Brook together. Hugh, BobnGeri, and happyhiker accompanied us.

Going down is always easier than going up -- the kids ran and laughed, even played tag along the trail. Sage was carried for a while -- this time, bikehikeskifish did the honors -- but once we reached the "Last Water" sign, Sage decided to walk the rest of the way on her own.

Here are four peanuts on a log bridge.

The rest of the descent was routine, though Alex went ahead and hiked with Amanda most of the way. When we reached the bottom, I called her to me. I wanted to officially finish with her, side-by-side. Selfish of me, perhaps, because she was happy going ahead with her new found friends. However, I wanted to catch just one last quiet moment with my daughter. A final few solitary minutes, for nostalgia's sake.

It was bittersweet, knowing that she is growing older and needing me less and less. At the beginning of our quest, she was a five and a half year old girl who still very much wanted her mama nearby. Now, she's over six and a half and taking bigger and bigger steps away from me every day. Natural and appropriate, of course. Yet sad, at least for me.

Here, we officially finish our 4Ks. Just the two of us, together.

Then, it was off to the fabulous after-party thrown by MadRiver and Susan, where DiamondRidge and Gwynna presented us with a great poster of all our summit pictures...in order!

Many, many thanks to all who have helped us on our quest. Especially MadRiver, who accompanied us on our three toughest hikes (Willey, Isolation, and Owl's Head). You've been a great friend to us, MR.

Thanks also to Susan, for hosting the after-party along with MadRiver, for being such a cool person in general, and for playing all those name games with Alex while hiking up Valley Way.

Thanks to DiamondRidge and Gwynna, for being good friends and for bringing MooseMaiden and her little sister over to hang out with Alex and Sage.

Thanks to BobnGeri, who have been sources of support and good conversation for months.

Thanks to happyhiker, who's hiked with us a number of times and is always great company.

Thanks to LRiz, who's been a source of inspiration to Alex.

Thanks to DaveBear for joining us on Owl's Head.

A giant thanks to Sage, who has been supportive of Alex's adventures and who has been very understanding of Mama's time away. I owe her some camping trips, pronto.

And of course, another giant thanks to Hugh, who has taken care of Sage while Alex and I have been away. He's graciously entrusted our daughter to me during this entire process, always supporting Alex's endeavors and our outings, and leaving it completely up to me to take care of every detail. Thanks for understanding our need to do this, Hugh.

So I guess this is the end of this blog -- unless I change it to a general hiking blog for Alex, since I have a feeling this is not the end of her adventures in the mountains...

Last edited:
Congrats Trish and Alex! And Hugh and Sage too!

GREAT job on the TR and photos. I'm not sure I could have captured this hike in anything shy of a short novel. It truly was an amazing day - we were so very happy to be a part of your hike and celebration. The Moose has certainly seen her share of finishes, and this one did her proud. I think all of us there will remember this hike for some time, and it will certainly be a special day with lifetime memories for your family.

Thanks again for sharing your journey and this epic day with us. And thanks to Mad River and Susan for extending the fun even longer.

A couple of pictures just below the summit:

P1000292.JPG

P1000293.JPG

After passing under the poles Alex sat down, and had to be reminded that the actual summit was on another rock:

P1000296.JPG

Congratulations Alex and Trish! And Sage you certainly are a wonderful sister and hiker too. Thank you for putting this all together because it was a great get together both on the Moose and at the MadRiverEddy!

Regretably, that was not me helping with the pole arches on the summit. Sorry I missed it.

I've said it already - but congratulations again you two! So wished I could have been there particularly after seeing the great group. There have been many awesome TRs (to go with the awesome hikes) along the way but this one was definitely my favorite. The picture of Alex heading for the summit alone is just priceless (along with all the many, many in all the TRs of her wonderful "poses" and her endless smile). Dave Metsky's picture with the caption "and a child shall lead them" is maybe the best of all though.

I do have to differ with one of the statements in your TR though. You begin by saying "...thus bringing to an end our fourteen month peakbagging quest". I have no doubt that your quest has just begun - and it has nothing to do with lists.

See you on the trail...

Thank you for allowing me to be a small part of your wonderful adventure. You are all a lovely family and a joy to be around. I look forward to other adventures with both Alex and Sage as they mature into adulthood. Now, let’s knock off a few winter 48’s this season.

How can I be more specific;
Your feat is simply terrific!

You & Alex passed the NH 48 test;
Simply because you're just the BEST!

Congratulations you two!!

Congrats again Ladies. Beautiful TR Trish. Lovely pics everyone.

What a beautifully written account of your quest together! I could especially relate to your description of Alex needing you less and less. I feel that way as my kids become more and more independent. It is bittersweet, but hopefully more sweet than bitter.

It was a real pleasure to meet you and your family up there. I hope we see each other on the trails again real soon.

Thanks for all your well-wishes, everyone.

MadTownie, I apologize for not giving you proper credit! I will edit my blog and posts immediately.

I am truly sorry, MadTownie. I knew I was failing to mention someone, I apologize.

PS -- I wish I had adequate words to describe how much everyone's support and positive energy has meant to me. Thank you all so very, very much.

See you out there!

Last edited:
Trish and Alex - A heartfelt congratulations to you both on your fine accomplishment. It's been a true pleasure to hike with you both during the course of the past year. I'm very glad that you chose such a wonderful day on which to finish, and would have given anything to join you. :)

Best of luck in the many adventures that I know will follow. You both are just remarkable. Congratulations again. I hope that I'll be able to hike with you again sometime this winter. Unfortunately, it does not look like I'll be back out on the trails until November at the earliest. :(

LRiz, you have a long lifetime of hiking ahead of you - if you take care of your hip right now. So take it easy, know we are all thinking of you, and heal. Before you know it, you'll be back out on the trail again.

We missed you at the summit, but we have no doubt we'll see you again. And hopefully again and again and again and again. :)

Excellent and well-done report! My advice, continue your blog as your adventures and thoughts will change with time and even more exposure under different circumstances as you hike the Whites. Why not let the rest of us in on it?

CONGRATULATIONS to the both of you!

Congratulations to both of you on your finish. You had quite the group to celebrate with!!! I'm looking forward to reading about more Trish and Alex adventures ;)

Congratulations! Moosilauke is a fantastic mountain to finish on, and it looks like you had great weather, and fantastic company! I hope ytiou keep on hiking now that the list is finished. There are so many other parts of the Whites that are very much worth exploring, not to mention the rest of New ENgland.

Congrats again, and wish I could have been up there!

grouseking

Congratulations to you two and welcome to the club! Glad you had a great day on the Moose!

Congratulations!!! We're really proud of you, especially Alex.

So sorry we couldn't make it. We were ready to go rain or shine on the 29th, but I know you had a much better day on the 30th.

Hope to see you out there again sometime.:)

Congratulations Trish and Alex! I hope you guys don't lose the hiking jones. There's plenty of other stuff out there needing exploration. We hope to see you on the trails.

John & June

Congratulations! I'm so glad I was able to be there and share in the moment. It's quite an accomplishment to be proud of, and I can't wait for your names to be called at the dinner next April :)