Mt Washington via Tuckerman Ravine Trail 7/20 for Seek The Peak

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarpy

Reaction score
This is my first post as a brand new member of VFTT. Very happy to be here. My son & I hiked up early Saturday morning as part of the Seek the Peak fundraiser for the MWOBS. We were on trail at 5:40AM thinking that we would beat the crowds. We were wrong. The amount of foot traffic was incredible. We saw a gentleman trail running down the trail at about 6AM. Didn't think too much about it until we saw him descending again at around 9AM. I overheard him telling some folks in front of us that he had just turned 40 and was celebating (if that is the right word) by trying to do four round trips in one day. I assume he was ascending via Lions Head and descending on Tucks. I still can't get over that. Anyway, back to the report. The weather could not have been better. Very little wind with temps in the upper 50's on the summit. The trail is in great shape for the amount of traffic it gets.
It is always such a surreal experience on the summit. I like getting there but I'm not sure I like being there, at least in the summer. Great hiking with my son. Thanks Jake! Follow the link below for pictures.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.3531265526405.126590.1415261101&type=1&l=10ce4b7919

My 10 year old daughter and I did the same trail up for Seek the Peak and like you got there early around 6 only to find the parking lot about full. We managed to park in the lot headed up and experienced the terrific weather on the summit though could have done without the crowds. this is my first time to hike the summit though not my first attempt my others have been in winter and weather had different plans for me. We took Boott Spur down, afterthought should have gone back down ravine. Like you newbie here too.

Hi fellow Barrington-ite! :D

I think, STP is a necessary evil for the observatory (they raised close to $300k this year I think?) and the summit is always a mess in the summer. Doubly so on STP day.

Welcome to the forum!

Congrats!

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your hike! Yep, STP day is hectic on the trails and on the summit, but all for a good cause! This year nearly 500 hikers raised over $250,000, the single most successful fundraiser so far for them. I, my wife and dog have participated for the past 11 years, missing only the 1st year. If others wish to bemoan the presence of roads, buildings and trains on this greatest of mountains in New England then so be it, but to them I say, "You are not looking at the whole picture, and do not understand the value of their presence, or the value of the dedicated people who live and work there." Their loss! (There's always Mount Adams, a tougher hike IMHO!)

Thank you for helping out this year! I hope you will participate again in the future! Hint: Many of us hike the day before to avoid the crowds and to lessen the impact on the mountain. And remember, nothing says you even have to hike MW or make it to the summit to participate. Many friends have taken to hiking other things, then meeting at the after-party for "Thanksgiving in July" as we have come to call it. Thanks again for helping out!

KDT

Hi fellow Barrington-ite! :D

I think, STP is a necessary evil for the observatory (they raised close to $300k this year I think?) and the summit is always a mess in the summer. Doubly so on STP day.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks JacobH. Did I meet you at Galehead Hut last year on Flags On The 48 day? I met someone there from Barrington who was going up to South Twin.

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your hike! Yep, STP day is hectic on the trails and on the summit, but all for a good cause! This year nearly 500 hikers raised over $250,000, the single most successful fundraiser so far for them. I, my wife and dog have participated for the past 11 years, missing only the 1st year. If others wish to bemoan the presence of roads, buildings and trains on this greatest of mountains in New England then so be it, but to them I say, "You are not looking at the whole picture, and do not understand the value of their presence, or the value of the dedicated people who live and work there." Their loss! (There's always Mount Adams, a tougher hike IMHO!)

Thank you for helping out this year! I hope you will participate again in the future! Hint: Many of us hike the day before to avoid the crowds and to lessen the impact on the mountain. And remember, nothing says you even have to hike MW or make it to the summit to participate. Many friends have taken to hiking other things, then meeting at the after-party for "Thanksgiving in July" as we have come to call it. Thanks again for helping out!

KDT

I like the idea of hiking something else. My plan is to do it with my son for as long as I can talk him into it.

Thanks JacobH. Did I meet you at Galehead Hut last year on Flags On The 48 day? I met someone there from Barrington who was going up to South Twin.

Yes, that was me. I thought your picture looked familiar I couldn't place it though. I think we hiked through the new section of the Gale River trail together as a group for a bit if I recall correctly.

And from your signature, it looks like we both adopted a trail on the same mountain.

Small world!