Mt. Whitney, August 2006 info req.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrown

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Unlike myself, I know that many of the hikers on this board have hiked in many other areas of the country and even the world.

I am calling upon those of you who have knowledge of Mt. Whitney to send me an avalanche of information to aid me in my quest.

I have checked out a couple of good websites with great info, i.e. this one , and this one , and even this one . Any other little info-nuggets and wisdom that can be passed along will be greatly appreciated. I know it's over a year away, but I like to plan ahead.

Thank you all!

Josh

My husband & I will be attempting Mt. Whitney in July (can't wait!) I'll be happy to post a trip report when we return and pass along any lessons we learned. :)

There's a message board on the Whitney Portal website, which I've found pretty helpful (located here. )

- Ivy

Last edited:
Hey Josh,
The lottery for the 2006 permits will be in January or February. Check the Inyo Nat'l Forest website for info. Here's another website that might help. You might be able to get a permit at the trailhead you decide to enter. They save some for each day and it's first come first served.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/recreation/wild/mtwhitney.shtml
If you have time to hike, you might consider coming in from the North at Bishop and following the Muir Trail to the western side of Whitney (we spent the night at Guitar Lakes) and then summiting from there by going south to north. I checked earlier this year and you can still spend the night on the summit. They have some small rock walls as protection from the wind, but still expect snow.
The other option is from the east (Whitney Portal), maybe spend the night at the Boy Scout Lakes and then summit. The permits for the Portal trailhead have some additional restrictions as to quantity issued so check that out too.
Good luck!
Bill

PS Ivy, you're gonna love it!

Did I read your post corrext your going in August? There will be no av. danger in Aug. That is reffering to the standard route, right now the Sierras are buried way above normal, if your climbing the Mountaineers route ice/snow may be an issue, as that route is much more sheltered then the standard slog and I do mean slog, being from new England maybe you like switchbacks, I hope so. :eek:

I hiked Whitney in July 2004 and there were a couple of small stretches of melting snow but nothing major on the Mount Whitney Trail. I don't know about the other routes but the John Muir Trail was also free of snow in July last year. Make sure to get your permits early in February as they fill up quick.

I backpacked it solo, but was far from alone being that it is a well travelled route. It was fun and I am definitely gonna go back and do it again as a one day hike . . .

Let me know what info you'd like and I would be more than happy to help out.

sli74

My wife and I hiked Whitney as a day hike in September of 04. No snow on the trail except for what fell during the hike, which melted quickly.

You've got a lot of good info already. Get your permit early. You have to commit to the day you're going. Hope for good weather.

The trail is beautiful and well marked, easy to follow (the early parts are like a highway). The scenery is spectacular. It's all very hikeable in trail runners.

Key lessons we can share:

Preparation:

>Get fit. Do a lot of vertical locally before you go.

>Bring a water filter or other purification. There is water at Trail Camp, and you'll want to fill up there.

>Make an acclimatization plan. Ours was: Tenaya Peak (10K), Mount Dana (13K), rest day, Whitney. Worked well. We summitted and felt good. Rangers will tell you that the people that suffer are the ones who drive or fly in from sea level or locales <5000', and then try Whitney the next day.

Hike day:

>Start early. The day permit is for the 24 hours midnight to midnight. You can start as early as you want. We started about 4:45 AM by headlamp, which is typical. If you're in doubt, or plan to hike at a slower pace, just start real early.

>If you're looking for a good early breakfast, Denny's in Bishop is about the only choice. It's the only 24 hour food on the East side.

>A lot of people, I'm told, sleep in their car at Whitney Portal. But with the seriousness of the bear problem there, I'd rather not have my breakfast food up there. Give me a restaurant, and a little extra driving time!

>The weather can change quickly. We had snow squalls during the day. The Summer snow doesn't accumulate a lot, and the trail is level and carved right into the mountain, so you won't need crampons. When it started snowing, I asked some locals for advice. They said, don't worry about it, the trail is easy to walk with snow on it. They were right. The one watchout area would be the switchbacks above trail camp. If there's a lot of snow, or a freak ice storm, they could be tricky.

>Totally respect thunderstorms. People have been killed on Whitney by lightning in every month of the year. If there is a thunderstorm coming, stay down at a safer location. Don't be on the summit ridge.

After the hike:

>You might be tired. I don't know if you're camping or hoteling, or where you're staying, but a hotel room in Lone Pine that night is nice to have. We were camped in Yosemite at Tuolomne, which is about 3 hours drive away. We got off the mountain at a good hour (7 PM), but we really didn't feel like driving 3 hours, so we grabbed a room for that night in Bishop, and headed back the next day. (Bishop is a nice place, too. Take in the Galen Rowell gallery there.)

It was my first visit to Whitney. There were a couple things that were a pain in the a**:

>It was hard to find the Ranger station in Lone Pine to pick up our permit. No light on in the building, poorly lit and partialy obscured sign, etc. We drove back and forth and finally stopped in a hotel to ask where it was.

>Poor signage at Whitney Portal. It was unclear which parking lot we should use. Once figured that out, and parked, it was damn near impossible to find the trailhead. There were big clear signs all over the place for the stupid store, but none for the trail. So we joined several other people who were also milling around with headlamps looking for the trail, and we finally found it. The actual trail is marked with a lousy little sign, with dark brown writing on a light brown background.

I don't know your trip plan, like I said. If I was doing Whitney again, I'd probably hotel it in Bishop, and drive up to the Portal in daylight the day before to get oriented.

Have fun!

TCD

Seema, I think you and TCD got very lucky as 2004 was a dry year. Here is a great link for the snowfall history in the area. I'd use Bishop Pass as the guide for the Whitney area.
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/reports/COURSES.html
However, the year I was there was one of the worst, and we were experiencing snow at Guitar Lakes (11,500) all the way to the summit.
I guess you''ll have to wait until April next year to start getting an idea of what to expect.
Josh, I think I have some 8x10's that I can scan to send you by PM. Just give me a couple of days.
Bill

Awesome info everyone, especially TCD. Seema, I'd be interested to know what you did to acclimatize as well, and if you experienced any symptoms of altitude sickness.

I guess HAPE and HACE are my biggest worries. I may be getting worked up about nothing. I've spent the last couple of winters reading mountaineering books about the himalaya and andes (basically the 8k peaks...) and have gained a huge respect for the dangers of high altitude activity. One of my hiking buddies that will be going with me is an MD, but I still want to be fully prepared, heck, he could die before we go...

I'm not set up for PM, I don't think, I'll check...

Well, I was on a 2 month trip out West and by the time I got out to Whitney, I had climbed 5 Colorado 14 ers, the highpoints in Arizona and Texas and New Mexico SO I guess I didn't experience any problems on Whitney with the exception of the usual tiredness from hiking 14 miles roundtrip from Outpost Camp. I did my trip as a 3 day 2 night backpacking trip staying at Outpost Camp both nights. I HIGHLY recommend the backpacking trip though I could feasibly see doing it as a dayhike if I were in the shape I was in at that time (I had been hiking almost daily for 4 months by the time I got to Whitney). There were a number of people on the summit when I got there who were doing the trip in a day and it is done all the time as a dayhike, they even sell T-shirts that say "I hiked Whitney in a day" . . .

I did experience some effects of the altitude while hiking at Bryce and the the first 2-3 Colorado peaks until my body adjusted. My symptoms included an annoying throbbing headache and some mild nausea . . . the headache was kept in check with Advil and the nausea was something I just learned to deal with. I would stop every few steps and breathe deeply. I would also exhale forcefully with each breath out to try and force CO2 out of my system, don't know if that actually helps but I remembered something from my Pulmonary Physiology classes in grad school that seemed indicate that it might help so I gave it a shot.

I tried to force myself to eat and drink regularly even when I didn't want to because I knew it would help. I also suggest maybe staying at Whitney Portal for a couple of nights before and doing some trail running or dayhiking up to Lone Pine Lake (you don't need a permit to thst I think) so you can get your body adjusted.

It is a rush to stand on top of Whitney . . . I was so nervous heading into that trip and the night before I left, I could hardly sleep. I went solo but met a lot of like people on the trail . . . I have a trip report somewhere in the archives about my trip, do a search under "crosscountry trip" and you should find it if you are interested.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

sli74

We did Whitney as a day hike in 2001. An early application sent in for the overnight campground facilities was fruitless, so we just showed up at the nearby ranger station a day early and picked up a one day permit. We started the relaxed pace climb at 3:00 AM (had LOTS of company .... a continuous string of headlamps on the switchback slopes) and finished about 7:00 PM. Our acclimatization hike was Boundary Peak, the NV state high point from the Queen Mine (very scenic and completely open NW approach) two days before the CA high point trip.

A couple more things:

I think there's probably more snow on the West side than the East, which would be expected. Most of the East side trail (from a couple miles above the Portal to the summit) was for all intents and purposes a desert. It was bone dry rock and sand, with plants growing only around the few water sources. Of course we were there (by choice) at the driest time of year.

Acclimatization: it probably helped us that we were camping at Tuolomne, because we were sleeping at 8400' all week.

I wouldn't expect HAPE or HACE during a day hike. Generally those very serious conditions take some time to develop. HAPE is marked by difficulty breathing, extensive lung congestion, and a sensation of drowning in lung fluid. HAPE is marked by ataxia (loss of coordination), blurred vision, and loss of mental capability. These are the result of fluid exiting the cells and producing edema in the area involved. You are more likely to experience what's called Acute Mountain Sickness, or AMS for short. This is marked by fatigue and really bad headaches.

The definitive cure for all these things is to immediately evacuate to lower altitude. But you're much better off minimizing them by acclimatizing.

A couple mountaineers rules of thumb for acclimatizing are: "Climb high, sleep low" and "above 10K, don't gain more than 1K / day." Climb high sleep low is easy and natural. Building up to Whitney gaining 1K pre day is hard. It's not easy to find convenient 11, 12, 13, etc peaks. But it's a general rule. Our plan of 10, 13, rest, Whitney worked well. Clearly, Seema's steady diet of high altitude worked well also.

TCD

Thanks TCD for the information on acclimatizing... it makes me feel a little less nervous about the hike because your recommendations are in line with what we're planning.

JBrown -- if you can't get the permit you want, you might also consider looking up information on hiking in through New Army Pass. Several people have recommended this route to me, but we ended up opting against it because takes a couple more days and would cut into the rest of our itinerary.

- Ivy

try summitpost.org for info on whitney.

we didn't get our permit to do the mountaineer's route this summer. bummer

that too..

on a side note, please be careful! whitney has already had 2 deaths this year.