Mt. Whitney, CA - June 18-19, 2012

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMOutdoors

Reaction score
This year, on February 1st, I entered a lottery application for a permit to hike Mt. Whitney. I was successful with my first choice, and four months later on June 19th, me and my brother reached Mt. Whitney, at 14,505 ft.

I wanted to share some of my favorite photos with you from this trip. It is tough to describe how insane it is to have experienced all of this. On the way back to Vegas the day after we descended, we toured several of the spots in Death valley, including Badwater Basin, going from the highest spot in the lower US to the lowest (in North America).

When we arrived in Lone and as we walked out of the Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitor Center, I came upon an amazing sight, and with 4th of July this week, I want to say that I'm thankful to live in a country where we are all free and have the liberty to take on things like this...Happy 4th of July everyone.
P6170064.JPG

On Sunday night the 17th, we camped at Horseshoe Meadow which is just above 10,000 feet. This was planned so to minimize (as much as possible) AMS. We got here in the afternoon and kept moving around, and we immediately we noticed some symptoms such as dizziness after crouching or leaning over, and some shortness of breathe. It was interesting to experience, and it was such a beautiful place to relax and prepare for our trip which started the following day.
P6170089.JPG

Along the Main Mt. Whitney Trail, 5 miles in is Trailside Meadow. From the start, we could feel the altitude affecting our pace. It was much more laborous than our White Mountain pursuits. Trailside Meadow was a beautiful place for a rest, and the remaining snow and ice was a sight to see. Purple flowers were spread all about this area.
P6190323.JPG

We started our ascent from Trail Camp on Tuesday morning at 3:30am. We were the first to leave Trail Camp that morning, and as we approached Trail Crest at 13,700ft, we experienced an incredible sunrise.
P6190163.JPG

One of many of our summit pictures, reaching the top was something out of this world.
GOPR0847.JPG

To check out the full report, including a couple of videos, click here to read it on my blog.
To go right to the photos, click here. If you have the time, I recommend playing it as a slide show.

Attachments

• P6170064.JPG
    P6170064.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 104
Sounds like you had a great trip and excellent weather as well. Congrats on making it to the summit.

Your report and photos brought memories of my trip right back to me. I could feel it, smell it, even though we took a somewhat different route. Thank you. Glad you were able to enjoy the experience and make it to the summit!

Memories

Thanks for the memories and great pics.
Now I will have to go back and do it again. It appears that the summit is a little higher than in 2008. The Tee shirt we bought at the Whiney Portal Store has the elevation as 14,497.61 feet. Holmes' High Points of the US (2000 edition) has 14,494. The Highpointers club Directory has it also as 14,494 feet. So it must be growing. :). Just kidding but I do need a new T shirt. Proudly wearing it out.
Fun going to the highest point in the continental US and the Lowest Point and all in the same State. Really liked the picture from Lone Pine F.S. Visitor center. It sums it all up. Congratulations.

I enjoyed your report and pics. I'd love to do Whitney, but hope to do it at the end of the JMT. Love the Sierra! Gotta get back soon!

Awesome slideshow and trip report. I have to put that mountain on my list before father time catches me. lol :)

Awesome job, Dan! Your photos are great, especially the ones you posted here. It looks like it was a tough hike but well worth the views and experience! Thanks for taking us along!

Karl

Kevin - Thank You! - Wow, it was hot down below every day I was out there, but incredibly comfortable in the mountains other than when it was windy and more chilly.

erugs - Thanks for the comment about my report bringing your memories back. For many many people, this is a once in a lifetime experience. Happy to have provided you with a reason to think back on your own experience.

Woody - Thank you very much! and for checking it out.

Trailwright - Thanks! I already want to go back for the Mountaineer's Route. The correct elevation is an interesting aspect. At the end of it, my brother and I both bought two of the patches they sell at Whitney Portal. One of them is blue and white with the 14,497.16 indication, and the other patch is purple with a picture of the typical morning alpenglow of Whitney, which states the 14,508 elevation. I'm not a huge patch fan, but one of these is going to be on one of my packs soon.

Pam - Knowing how much more there is to explore out there in the Sierra's is amazing.

Thank you all for your kind words and taking the time to see the photos and report.

When we went we climbed up the East Face climbing route. It was perhaps a little more than we were ready for, and the guide expressed some disatisfaction at not knowing our abillities. There's a good reason he didn't know our abilities, but that is a longer story. We came down the Mountaineers Route, which was pretty cool. Our guide was very careful with us and we ropped up at times I thought were unnecessary, but you can't argue with a guide. Overerall our guided hike was a positive experience of a lifetime and I'm so glad I did it. A regret was not spending much time on the summit, and maybe not having more climbing experience under my harness.

Attachments

• DSCF1153.jpg
    DSCF1153.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 103
  • DSCF1143.jpg
    DSCF1143.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 110
Loved the slideshow!

Whitney has long been on my list of must-hikes. Now I'm more convinced than ever!!! Looks like a great hike with perfect conditions. Congrats!!! :)

--Carla

When we went we climbed up the East Face climbing route. It was perhaps a little more than we were ready for, and the guide expressed some disatisfaction at not knowing our abillities. There's a good reason he didn't know our abilities, but that is a longer story. We came down the Mountaineers Route, which was pretty cool. Our guide was very careful with us and we ropped up at times I thought were unnecessary, but you can't argue with a guide. Overerall our guided hike was a positive experience of a lifetime and I'm so glad I did it. A regret was not spending much time on the summit, and maybe not having more climbing experience under my harness.

Ellen - That looks intense! Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Carla - Thanks so much. I hope you get the opportunity real soon.

Almost always perfect there. If you're out for a hiking vacation, you gotta go hike around in the Bristlecone pine forest, across the valley in the White Mtns. Climb White Mt Peak while you're there.
The TR brought back a lot of memories.

Fantastic TR. Thanks for all the detail, and for posting the pictures and video. What an amazing journey. I'm sure I'll read your report over and over again when it's time for the girls and I to make our Whitney attempt (either next summer or the year after).

Congratulations! You must feel wonderful!