Mud 101 on Dix: ADK Gathering

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mimi

Reaction score
Last Friday evening after many discussions around a hefty campfire at Spence & Maddie’s ADK gathering as to what we should hike on Saturday, a small group of us agreed on Dix. Saturday morning, we woke up to a promising sky of blue hopes. Wow! A good weather day in prospect, a fresh cup of coffee from T-Jay’s Coffee Shop, and Pop Tarts with oatmeal to fill our stomach was a “hikerly” way to begin our day. Dave, Phil, Richard, Paul & myself, drove to the trailhead & set to begin our hike from Chapel Pond on Route 73 sometime around 9:30am. An acceptable time to begin a hike on a gathering weekend of partying!

I’m not quite sure when the mud became a serious issue during our journey to Dix, but I do remember my boots going from it’s natural manufactured color to the mud’s natural blackness in just a few steps from the car. Eh! no big deal, right? Besides, we experienced hikers, can handle a small matter like mud, right? We don’t let it get to us. We’re strong….The Webster Dictionary tells us that mud is merely a “wet soft earthy matter”. Saturday, while hiking to Dix through a multiplication of mud puddles, mud slimy & slippery rocks, mud ponds with missing rocks to hop, mud drowning entire path sections, Mr. Webster Dict should seriously consider modifying his definition. He’s sending the wrong message out there about mud. There is nothing soft about this matter!

Round Pond was a beautiful sight of water under an increasing blue sky. Brook crossings was fairly uneventhful until we reached the North Fork of the Boquet River next to the Lean-to at 4,20 miles from the trailhead. The crossing stones were much fewer in numbers, stressing our stepping strategy. Thank’s to Phil’s assistance, we all managed to cross the river in dry form and hiked towards the base of Dix slide. This slide is one of my favourite place in the Daks as it holds the memory of a special moment. Last February, Erik, Ron, Rik & myself hiked Dix on Dominic Day & nicknamed the impressive slide "Dominic Slide" in honour of a very special hiker. At one point, Richard, a new comer in the Adirondaks' trails, mentioned that perhaps the mud would be less abundant on our way back. The sun should dry the black liquid, no? It didn’t.

On several occasions, Phil candidly volunteered to test the well researched mud scale theory developed by T-Jay (a couple of photos & videos for proof of the pudding) will be supplied by the Dix crew. The following description is quoted from reliable source of several scientists on the “Mud-of-the-Daks”: “The mud scale is BSM (Boot Sucking Mud); scale #1 up to 2 inches of mud.... ; BSM2 is ankle deep and generates some sound on removal.....; BSM3 mud will overflow into low height boot and hiking shoes, and produce a good "squelching" sound pulling out.....; BSM#4 will creep over the top of all boots with possible loss if loosely tied and a definite loud disgusting noise if it does come out.....; BSM5 is anything over the knee and almost certain loss of boot and pride with an excellent chance of a good mud bath and/or fight with hiking partners!! “

Dave came up with the best way to deal with this whole mud thing. Simply give in & quit avoiding it, just plough through it. Not a bad idea as it helps maintain a good hiking pace. Reaching the summit was a well-deserved perk & a welcome sight. The view over the high peaks was clear. Phil named all the peaks & slides surrounding us like a well-versed tourist guide while we all enjoyed a yummy lunch break. The cameras were clicking away & just before nap time, we proceeded to hike back down to the trailhead. We didn’t want to be late for the gathering dinner, so nap would have to be posponed. Back at the base of the Slide, some of us performed a bit of yoga to stretch the body & eat the rest of whatever we had in our packs to energize the spirit.

Last Saturday, Dave bagged another high peak on his list of the Daks. Richard hiked his first 4000 footers in North America, while Paul was homecoming to the Adirondaks mountains. Phil & I were visiting Dix for the third time. Back at the BBQ's gathering, friends, great foods & liquid of better nature were shared with memorable stories of another fun hike. A BIG THANKS to Maddie, Spencer & Bryan for their warm hospitality & their generousity in organizing another ADK annual summer gathering. It was even more special this year with the presence of so many lovely hikers from VFFT: Pat, Audrey, Marc, Rebecca, Steve, Mats, Dave, Al & his two kids.

Here are a few pics from my camera: more is coming from other camera present at the hike! Read Dave's TR for more details:http://outdoors.webshots.com/slideshow/565424852jNxdxW

Last edited:
We actually saw a BSM of 5 Saturday! A girl ahead of us was skipping over some rocks and mud and she slipped, and went into the mud. When she attempted to jump out quickly, her shoe stayed in the mud! :eek:

Thanks for the report Mimi.... you always have a special way with words.
It was a good day to test the new boots I just purchased over in europe. They are good for at least BSM 3 anyway. I wouldn't want anything deeper until I've got more use out of them. So the Bradley Pond trail in the Santanoni's can wait for a little while longer.... lots of #5 scale down there.

It was nice to actually get to hike on a trail that I did some help clearing in the spring. I'd like to add we didn't do any mud work back then as there wasn't any. :)

My slide show is
here

Yoga at the start, yoga in the middle, yoga at the end. It's all good.

I kept hearing about BSM 5 up on the Santanonis and Allen (?) and either that is the worst area for mud in the world or everyone is in on an elaborate plan to keep us flatlanders away from these beautiful peaks.

Nice shots Phil and Mimi!

-dave-

David Metsky said:
I kept hearing about BSM 5 up on the Santanonis and Allen (?) and either that is the worst area for mud in the world or everyone is in on an elaborate plan to keep us flatlanders away from these beautiful peaks.
For my money it's the Sewards and the Santas, but ya never know!