Mud Season Ethics

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your response to mud season?

• I stay off any unpaved roads and soft trails until they dry out enough to minimize erosion damage.

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • I stay off all soft trails until they dry out; I drive slowly on unpaved roads to minimize damage.

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • I walk down the middle of muddy trails, to avoid further damage on the margins. I drive at normal s

Votes: 54 50.5%
  • I walk on the sides of muddy trails, so I can avoid the mud.

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • I can\'t wait for mud season to start, so I can rip up the roads on my ATV.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I can\'t wiat for mud season to start, so I can rip up the roads and trails on my ATV while I spray

Votes: 9 8.4%

• Total voters
Pinski221 said:
I was wondering if the trails that are closed (such as Camel's Hump) during mud season are patrolled or if they are left to the public to abide by the rules. Are there fines or punishments? Personally I think there should be, but I was wondering what you guys thought on the topic.

The measure of one's character is how one behaves when nobody else is looking.

It would be nice to think that all hikers are people of good character.

G.

Last edited:
I was talking in regards to whether there should be fines. Theres no need to give each other attitude here. It's a simple question that I thought would provoke some conversation.

Pinski221 said:
I was talking in regards to whether there should be fines. Theres no need to give each other attitude here. It's a simple question that I thought would provoke some conversation.

It did provoke conversation. I told you exactly what I thought, just as you invited me to do. And I agree that there's no need to "give each other attitude here," whatever that means.

G.

I must be a "granite-head", for I hike every Saturday, no matter the time of year. Actually, I think it's unreasonable to close trails/stop hiking because it's muddy. It's very muddy and wet after a hard summer rain. Do we close the trails when the forecast calls for rain? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Once again

ONE of the dangers of taking to the keyboard is that charity, respect and civility are not the first things that come to mind.

I agree that the true measure of someone is what they do when they are alone. Typing is a solo sport.

Panama Jack said:
ONE of the dangers of taking to the keyboard is that charity, respect and civility are not the first things that come to mind.

I agree that the true measure of someone is what they do when they are alone. Typing is a solo sport.

If this is a reference to my comment, above, I take the point and send in on back.

As for the matter of my response to the following:

I was wondering if the trails that are closed (such as Camel's Hump) during mud season are patrolled or if they are left to the public to abide by the rules. Are there fines or punishments? Personally I think there should be, but I was wondering what you guys thought on the topic.

I am sorry if my reference to good character raised some hackles. I honestly do not think that patrolling, fines and punishments should be necessary to ensure that hikers are respectful of the trails they walk. Nor do I think it is desireable. One reason most of us hike in the first place, I'd like to believe, is to find "The Freedom of the Hills," where common sense, self control and one's own sense of obligation to be a good steward take the place of laws, regulations, cops, courts, punitive fines and jails. (And especially the final four items in that list.)

Is it no longer acceptable to be an idealist?

G.

Being a three season hiker, the call is too strong to stay off the trails as the snow starts melting. That said, I choose my hikes carefully (southfacing rocky stuff) and hike in the middle of the trail when there is mud. I drive only where I know I won't get swallowed.

Grumpy said:
Is it no longer acceptable to be an idealist?
It certainly is, but being so opens you up to both admiration and ridicule.

For me, it is enough to want to respect the wishes of the organization that builds and maintains the trails. If that means staying off GMC trails for a few weeks every spring because they ask me to, that's a pretty small sacrifice for me to make.

Last edited:
I see no point in NOT hiking simply because it is muddy but it does matter where you hike. I avoid trails that the maintainers request we refrain from hiking during mud season, trails that are especially sloppy during mud season, and trails that are apt to be unrestricted but popular. There are plenty of places to hike while having little or no impact on erosion ... how and where you "tread" does matter.

Cleaning waterbars is good practice anytime. It helps prevent erosion. Consider it a mild penance for any unintentional mud season damage.