Muggy Moved Moat Mountain Meander -- 7/10

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
Well, this trip had originally been scheduled for the 9th and I was going to be joining Papa Bear for the Vose Spur and Nancy trip on the 10th but, the rain made me have to change my plans and cancel out on PB :mad:. I really wanted to do that trip! It felt very strange being around the house on a Saturday. I don't think I like it.

Anyway, with this raindate the size of our group shrank from seven to four however, we madde the best of it. We met at the northern trailhead at 8am for the carspot and then drove over to the relocated southern trailhead which is easy to see but, did cause a little bit of confusion.

The new first section of the trail was quite nice and we enjoyed the smooth terrain and decent grade however, I was pretty happy to hit the slabs. We did have to be a little bit careful throughout the trip due to some parts of the slabs being wet, some with running water. Early on in the climb (pre-South Moat summit) we saw some sort of orange lily that was similar to but was not a tigerlily. Does anyone know what kind it might have been? It was the only one that we saw.

Throughout the hike we saw a lot of blueberry bushes which are a little behind season. They should be ready in about 2-3 weeks, although I found one berry that was ripe. I highly recommend doing this hike in a couple weeks or so and bringing a bottle for berries!

The views from each of the peaks were great, though it was a bit windy. We didn't mind the wind. In fact, we welcomed it as it cooled us off on this hot humid day. The whole hike was very enjoyable: great views, varied terrain with fun scrambles and slabs, no bugs until around the junction with the Attitash Trail, and no other people until we got to Diana's Baths! That was the most amazing part. We really thought that we would have seen other folks on this popular hike but, that was not the case. We were really suprised to see so many cars at each of the trailheads when we got out. Where was everyone? It's not like we were traveling fast. Surely folks would have passed us. Anyway, even though I couldn't join PB :(, it was a great day in the end.

Double Bow, that was probably a Wood Lily you saw. I've seen them also at "the ledges" on the Kearsarge North Trail and at the summit.

Mayflower said:
Double Bow, that was probably a Wood Lily you saw. I've seen them also at "the ledges" on the Kearsarge North Trail and at the summit.
I second that "probably", I was hiking in the Ossipees yesterday and saw a bunch of them (Lilium philadelphicum) in bloom on ledgy sections (along w/ bellflower and pale corydalis). The key IDs for this species are the rocky terrain & the flower pointing straight up:

Last edited: