Multi-Fuel Stove Question....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quack

Reaction score
I've been in the market for a good multi-fuel stove for a while and have narrowed it down to the "Brunton Optimus Nova Muli-Fuel Stove" and the "MSR DragonFly Backpacking Stove" Having never used either, this has been based completely on research and reviews. Has anyone had any experience with either/both?

Thanks everyone, more and more I'm finding this site to be more useful than any other resource out there!

- Quack

I love my Dragonfly, absolutely love it. I've never had to clean it, works very well, has a nice wide base that will take just about any pot, and is infintely variable with regard to heat ranges. I like that it will burn just about anything, and it doesn't get much simpler if you have to work on it. It folds up into a smallish pouch that fits into my cookset, so packing isn't a problem.

Can't comment on the Brunton, sorry.

if you want an actual multi fuel, the Optimus Nova is it.
I like Optimus.
They burn hot and loud, but they always burn with very little pampering.

I would take a look at field repairabilty also. I know most MSR's stoves have Field repair kits available. Can't speak for Optimus because I have not used their product for years.

I have a dragonfly for when I cook for larger groups. It works well although I normally use it with white gas as kerosene will gum up eventually and it also generates more soot on the pots. A big issue you should be aware or with the Dragon fly is that it is louder than most stoves. The noise makes it more efficient, but you may want to see if it bothers you.

I too have a DragonFly. Nice stove. Very reliable. But very loud, as others have said. Out-of-doors, the noise is no big deal, but in a lean-to or other walled structure it can be deafening.

For comparison purposes, it takes a wee bit longer to boil water with the Dragonfly than with, say, an MSR Whisperlite. And it's somewhat bulkier and heavier than a Whisperlite.

Have only used the stove w/White Gas or Coleman fuel so... have no knowledge/experience with it's performance when burning unleaded, or kerosene, or....

I have both - prefer the Nova, largely because of the metal and seemingly bombproof pump. Repair kit is available - does not come w/ a windscreen, however.

The Dragonfly is also a superb stove. You won't go wrong either way.

The Dragonfly is reliable as all get-out. I've used it down to -26F and it performed admirably. They are, as folks say, loud; they are effectively a tiny jet engine, using their own heat to atomize the fuel and blast it out as a highly-efficient vapor. Priming is not nearly as scary as it sounds; once you've done it, it's second-nature. You can get a repair kit with all the components you need to do field fixes.

Note that to use kerosene or jet fuel, there's actually a different burner nozzle that you screw into the stove. I've only ever used white gas so I can't offer any more details than remembering that from when I first unpacked it.

Disclaimer: I've gone canister for the non-winter months with an MSR Superfly, which I also highly recommend. It's sooooooo much quieter. :)

Thanks everyone! Great info! I have a pocket rocket for the warm months, but I'm hoping to go on a few overnights this winter which is why I'm looking at these particular stoves. I'm still torn, but obviously have some time to mull over things. Thanks again.

Msr

I also have to give a shout out to the Dragonfly. i love it. The drawbacks of size and volume are exactly what make it work so well. So you take the good with the bad, i guess.

I can also report that while i haven't used MSR customer service for the Dragonfly(or any of their stoves for that matter) i have for other products and it is second to none. And parts are readily available at local shops should they be necessary.

I've seen 2, not 1, MSR stoves carried out of Crag Camp due to the same failure. The plastic pump leaked, caught fire and went into full melt down mode. I've also sat around in sheltersmore times than I can count picking fuzz out of velcro while waiting for buds to get their MSR stoves to light up.

In contrast, the closest thing I've had to a failure with my Svea 123 is the time I overheated it. Instead of a catastrophic melt down like the MSRs I've seen, the Svea's release valve worked just as designed and emitted a scary but very controlled flume of flame, allowing me to simply (albiet somewhat nervously) to shut of the stove.

2 points with these stories....

1) Don't confuse multi-fuel with white gas stoves. Unless you are bike touring or traveling overseas, a white gas capable stove is all you really need.

2) Of the 2 stoves you mentioned, I would get the Optimus.

Dragonfly

It's B-52 loud, but I love it and use it year 'round. I've only used it with white gas, though, but it comes with a field repair kit and the nozzles for other types of fuel.

Multi-fuel stoves

Why not consider the whisperlight internal by MSR? I have faithfully used that stove for 9 years in a row and I love it. Though, I have never had to use anything other then white gaz in it.

The dragonfly is a very noisey stove- especially in an enclosed space like a lean-to. And frankly- do many people really need to try to "simmer" on a backpacking stove?

Msr

Well, I'll comment here.

I've used the whisperlite for several years. Got a lot of use out of it, including over 1000 miles of AT. Before that, I used the Svea 123. I gave up on that after all the gaskets dried out and cracked, and had flames shooting out of everywhere!

With all the use that the whisperlite has had, I have never had it expode, or melt down. Perodically, it does clog up, probably because I'm using old fuel. When that happens, I take it apart and fiddle with the shaker jet. This year, I replaced the gaskets in the pump after one cracked. Other than that, I'll continue to use it when suitable.

Like others have posted, no need for the multi-fuel version in the USA. White gas is abundant. (I'll try unleaded gasoline on my next long bike tour).

Simmer? Can't really with the whisperlite. But, with things like Liptons where you boil for 10 minutes, it would be nice to be able to regulate the heat better.

Lighting and preheating problems? just crack the valve and get some gas into the priming cup and light. Not a long process.

That being said, I haven't used the Optimus or Dragonfly, so I can't comment one way or the other on them. But, before thru-hikers went to alcohol, the whisperlite was the most popular stove. Must be a good reason why.

Peaks said:
Like others have posted, no need for the multi-fuel version in the USA. White gas is abundant. (I'll try unleaded gasoline on my next long bike tour).
Unleaded gas contains additives that you don't want to breathe. I understand it also tends to clog stoves. Suggest that you avoid it if possible.

Simmer? Can't really with the whisperlite. But, with things like Liptons where you boil for 10 minutes, it would be nice to be able to regulate the heat better.
I've been able to simmer with my MSR model G (predecessor to the XGK). Just keep a low pressure in the tank. Doesn't work well in the wind--tends to blow out. Perhaps you can do this with the other MSR gasoline stoves.

I read a survey of stove failures on an AT web site. According to this survey, the only kind of stove with no failures is the unpressurized alcohol stoves (eg Trangia). Silent too. (Can't get used to watching the stove carefully--all one has to do to monitor a noisy MSR is listen...)

Doug

dave.m said:
I've seen 2, not 1, MSR stoves carried out of Crag Camp due to the same failure. The plastic pump leaked, caught fire and went into full melt down mode. I've also sat around in sheltersmore times than I can count picking fuzz out of velcro while waiting for buds to get their MSR stoves to light up.

I would question if the folks using these MSR stoves in this situation were keeping up with routine maintenance of the stoves themeselves.I have found that the beauty of an MSR is that once you educate yourself on starting procedure and exactly how the internal guts of the stove is working that ANYONE can use one. To echo my original comment the best thing about an MSR is its FIELD REPAIRABILTY. Wether the field is you back porch or a Glacier in some remote part of the world MSR is a true and tested technology..simplicity in its essence.
If you want true MultiFuel check out the new XGK. This thing will burn almost anything including 151 short of Pressurized gas.

I have to give my vote to the Optimus Nova. I have had it ever since the first year it came out and it has been wonderful. Works great during the winter, and although there is no windscreen, the wind never became that much of a problem. There is a repair kit that's pretty cheap, but I have never had to repair it. This stove is a field maintainable stove as well and it comes with a small tool that slips into a sleeve in the case. It does weigh a little more than other stoves, but it's well worth it. It simmers well and the fuel pump is a lot better than those on the MSRs.

Few quick thoughts

btw check out my post on JetBoil thread too

Few thoughts:

1: you don't need a new stove for winter, just bring a lighter and plastic container. First put butane container in your jacket to warm it up, then Put butane container in tub, light it and put the first melted snow in tub...you'll be able to use your stove in -20F weather in the whites with this system.

Re the whisperlite...great stove, as others have said have to change the jet to use kerosene, but so far in my experience, very easy to do, doesn't actually gum up the stove too much as long as you activate the shaker jet every time after use. Also Priming with Kerosene is much easier than white gas (no fireball). Challenge can be finding the kerosene in some countries.

You CAN simmer the whisperlite, just have to keep slowly turning down the wheely thing, takes practice, but is doable.