My First Adirondak Adventures!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEB

Reaction score
Day 1. Esther & Whiteface

After some coconut coffee, a sharpie flavored breakfast sandwich and some driving around we finally arrived at the trailhead. This was my first hike in the Adks and I was looking forward to some new terrain. Right away the trails lived up to what I had been hearing about for so long. We went up and up and up and up…..and up some more. We passed a few one person structures and then found the heard path to Esther…my very first high peak. Wondering around a bit on the highpoint I finally looked up and saw the coaster-sized disk affixed to the tree marking the true summit.

Next we travelled along the beaten path over to Whiteface. Through the clouds we saw glimpses of what lay ahead. Again we went up and up and up some more. The wind was cold and frigid and the ground a sheet of ice about a ¼ inch thick. Thankfully I had a heavy pack on and my microspikes….if not for those I would have blown right off the mountain.

Day 2. Dial & Nippletop

After a nice breakfast at the Arc Trail Inn we set off for Dial and Nippletop. There had been talk about adding Colvin and Blake in on the way out if time permitted. After a mile of nice flat walking the trails once again lived up to what they are known for. We went up and up and up and finally arrived at an open area that gave me my first views of the Great Range and the high peaks. Most amazing!

From here went down and then up and up and up and arrived at the summit of Dial. Once again we took in the views and had some snacks. These mountains make me very hungry!

Off to Nippletop now. I can’t remember all about the trail but it did the usual up and down and up and up and up and up. The summit was encased in ice and the ice sculptures on the summit were most interesting and beautiful. The views were beautiful as well. I really need to get a map and a book so I can learn what I have been looking at and photographing.

Heading out we opted not to go to Colvin and Blake….in retrospect I think we could have done all four if we had approached in the opposite direction. We’ll just have to save that for the next trip.

Day 3. Phelps, Tabletop & Marcy

Who would have imagined we would have such a stretch of fine winter weather for this adventure!

Today we woke to cloudless skies and moonshine once again and enjoyed a huge hiker breakfast at the Noonmark Diner for yet another epic day of incredible hiking.

Leaving the Adk Loj I was under the impression that the trail was flat till the last few miles going up Marcy. Well that is not quite the case…..serves me right for not doing my own trail researching. Marcy Dam came quickly and soon after so did the trail to Phelps. The sign said one mile to the summit…and it was pretty much one mile straight up! What a workout. Charles and Andy had it in them to race up the mountain leaving me in the dust. I finally made it to the top and we all enjoyed a nice long break on the open ledge.

So down we go now and then we soon arrive at the trail to Tabletop. The guys took off in a mad dash again while I was left in the dust again huffing and puffing. Up and up and up and up we go. I was finally able to catch my breath upon reaching the summit. At this point Charles decided he wanted to try and get a few more peaks in so off he went. If I could only tap into some of his energy.

Back at the junction the signs pointed the way to Marcy…. the high point in NY and also the last peak of the day. I was told it was about three miles and that we could make it to the top in about and hour and a half. Ha we’ll just have to see about that I thought. Along the way we saw a pine marten….cool.

We finally reached the junction that said we had just over a mile to the summit. Looking up I could see lines of people making their way up. Arriving at the summit we found Charles tucked behind some rocks out of the wind all wrapped up in a large piece of tinfoil. He had decided not to do the extra peaks…. I was glad because I really had my heart set on going out for a BIG dinner and I didn't want to have to wait for him to get out of the woods. We hung out on the summit for quite a while and then eventually made out way down back to the car.

Day 4. Cascade & Porter

Regardless of how much I ate during the day, after the hike and at dinner I still managed to wake up in the middle of the night with an empty growling stomach.

Breakfast this morning was near the post office….I can’t remember the name but I had the most awesome breakfast sandwich and homefires!

We were on the trail by 7:30 and again we had nothing but sunshine! The trail to Cascade was icy but relatively easy compared to what we had done the previous three days. The open rocky summit gave us spectacular views once again! We sat hear for about an hour just taking everything in, studying the map and talking about future trips out this way. There was also talk of doing Giant on the way home….if I only lived closer. The path to Porter did not take long and once again we hung out and laughed and talked.

We arrived back at the car around noon and I arrived back in Maine just after 8 pm. Good thing we decided to save Giant for another day! I have to say these mountains are impressive and tough. I can’t wait to get my ass-kicked again on my next adventure over this way! Thanks guys for a super fun long weekend!

-MEB

http://picasaweb.google.com/meb207/Adirondaks

ps....the only thing that would have made this trip better was if Little Sister had been able to come along. On Saturday she had a most awesome day on Jefferson and finally finished her winter list! Way to go Sis!!!!

AWESOME!! It looks as though you had an amazing experience for your first time, and I'm very glad to hear it! You took out quite a chunk of them on this trip, so congrats. I wish you well in your future Adirondack adventures. Just wait until you get to the trail-less peaks, you'll have PLENTY of fun on those! :)

Judging by those pics, you guys had waaaaay too much fun! Boy do I regret staying home! Glad you all had a good trip.

Oh, and no one believes that business about huffing and puffing and trying to keep up, MEB!

Hey hey! So glad that you've finally decided to give ADK a chance, now what can we do to get Giggy out there.

Wicked awesome pictures, you can't pick a better weekend to make the trip to ADK. Totally agree with you about Phelps, that was the steepest 1 mile I've ever hike.

... Marcy Dam came quickly and soon after so did the trail to Phelps. The sign said one mile to the summit…and it was pretty much one mile straight up!
Breakfast this morning was near the post office….I can’t remember the name but I had the most awesome breakfast sandwich and homefires!

I think the breakfast place is Cedar Run cafe or something... Santanoni wrap... yumm.... :D

You sure got off to a running start!
Hey hey! So glad that you've finally decided to give ADK a chance, now what can we do to get Giggy out there.

Great Range Hike.

Sounds like the Noonmark Diner. Welcome to the Adirondacks.

Thats a very large pine marten up in the tree. Could it be a NE porcupine?

Last edited:
Sweet adventure MEB!!! That's one hell of a drive from your place - glad to hear that you made the most of your time in the ADK's.

BTW - I had to do a double take when I read ADK88's trip report and saw that he ran into you at the Loj. I thought for sure he was mistaken ;)

So...what do you have your eye on next?

Sounds like the Noonmark Diner. Welcome to the Adirondacks.

Thats a very large pine marten up in the tree. Could it be a NE porcupine?

You sure about that, I thought the post office in Keene (not Keene Valley) is right by "Cedar Run", which could not really be mistaken for the noonmark that easily..., plus it's close to Cascade and Porter if staying at the Ark Trail.

Cool trip MEB, glad you guys and gals got good weather.. You mean the trails don't go UP in ME/NH? :D Wow, I need to hike more up there then. ;)

Jay

Cool trip report and pix MEB! Ya know, once you go Dak ya never go Bak :D

What a weekend to be out! Adding Colvin and Blake to a Dial and Nippletop hike is like doubleing it though...

Awesome trip!

awesome! i agree with frodo. it's tough to go back to them hills in NH and ME after a trip to the ADKS. :p

I think you've done more peaks in 4 days then I've done in 25 years. Well done!

ETA: Oh my, there are a few photos in that set I could have avoided seeing.

Great job and looks like you guys had lots of fun!!! :D

Watch out for those ADk peaks, they not only kick your butt but they kick you in the "knee" too!! :mad:

Really glad you had all good weather! Juniper & I had to go back a second trip to see the views and what everyone was telling us....:rolleyes:

I'll be planning some trips back and "no" I dodn't believe the guys were leaving you in the dust either!!! Meb huffing and puffing...yeah right!

Wish little sister could of joined you....next time!! At least Rachel made the most of the weather and finished with a great hike!!:D

Way to go Meb! You picked a good weekend for your first winter ADK peaks. My instincts tell me you'll be doing them all in the winter ;)
kmac

Very cool way to wrap up the winter hiking Mary Ellen, Charles and Andy!!! Awesome pics MEB, looks like you folks really cut loose and enjoyed yourselves! You even had some pics that showed Andy does have a smile.;) Never been to NY mountains yet but reading this and seeing the pictures is plenty to help understand what all the fuss is about! Thanks so much for sharing the fun!:D