Mysterious bat disease

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I heard an update to this on NPR last week - one of the researchers predicted that the brown bat would be eliminated from the Northeast within three years, and in North America within ten.

I should let them know I have a colony in my attic, they are welcome to come and capture them and take them someplace better to study...

:eek:

I know lots of you will think this is nuts but bats are very environmentaly sensitive creatures, like amphibians, and I think this another symptom of global warming.
Maybe. However, this particular fungus seems to like cold conditions.

Also, just because the fungus was found first in North America does not mean that it originated here. It could conceivably have originated in Europe and been discovered here. And it could have been transmitted by a bat (or bat carcass) stowed away in cargo carried by an aircraft or ship.

Doug

This past spring I tagged along on a DEC bat survey in one of the affected caves (actually an abandoned mine). the sight of all those dead bats, and pieces of half eaten bats, scattered for hundreds of yards on the snow around the entrance, with flocks of crows picking at them, was truly chilling. What had been one of the largest hibernaculum in the state was almost completely lifeless, probably >95% dead.

Almost makes me queasy to think about it, a whole family of mammals wiped off the continent. lets hope it doesn't happen. but even if they somehow survive, it will take a very long time for populations to recover to normal levels.

I hope I don't end up telling my grandchildren about how there used to be these things called bats.

Last edited:
This past spring I tagged along on a DEC bat survey in one of the affected caves (actually an abandoned mine). the sight of all those dead bats, and pieces of half eaten bats, scattered for hundreds of yards on the snow around the entrance, with flocks of crows picking at them, was truly chilling. What had been one of the largest hibernaculum in the state was almost completely lifeless, probably >95% dead.

Almost makes me queasy to think about it, a whole family of mammals wiped off the continent. lets hope it doesn't happen. but even if they somehow survive, it will take a very long time for populations to recover to normal levels.

I hope I don't end up telling my grandchildren about how there used to be these things called bats.

Wow - that's pretty sad...I suppose from a scientific point of view, you're lucky to have seen this, but it doesn't change the fact that this is a disturbing change.

We've had an over-the-top plague of mosquitos here this year (absolutely horrendous). Its been very wet, but I suppose there could also be a tie in to bat die-offs. I've not noticed many bats this summer.