Mystery Ponds hidden in the Pemi?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
I was looking at terraserver today and was marveling at all the ponds that are off trail and that I would like to visit. For example there are the little ponds near Mt Field that look interesting. Also, Carrigain pond looks like a great place to visit, although I don't know if I'm up for a bushwhack like that. I see those on terraserver all the time, but I found a new one today that I have never seen before. It is off the Thoreau Falls trail and it looks like its real close to Jumping Brook. Does anyone know what this pond is called, and has anyone been to it?

grouseking

Grouse, in my book that will be out very soon, I have a chapter on a bushwhacking trip into Carrigain Pond that went completely wrong and we got horribly lost. It is a deadly area of blowdowns and thick forest. It was pretty, besides almost getting lost forever. That pond near jumping brook has always been a secret amoung bushwhackers. It is a very small pond, with remnants of a logging camp on the shorelines. If you email me ill give you the name and some more info on it. The Field ponds are tough to get to, and I have heard of few people that have ever been there. Sometime I will try and attempt the trip. -Mattl

grouseking said:
I was looking at terraserver today and was marveling at all the ponds that are off trail and that I would like to visit. For example there are the little ponds near Mt Field that look interesting. Also, Carrigain pond looks like a great place to visit, although I don't know if I'm up for a bushwhack like that. I see those on terraserver all the time, but I found a new one today that I have never seen before. It is off the Thoreau Falls trail and it looks like its real close to Jumping Brook. Does anyone know what this pond is called, and has anyone been to it?

grouseking

Count me in this spring, if you don't mind me packing in a flyrod...
Lots of good fishing in the Pemi, but I've only fished the streams. I'd be very interested in trying to find something in the ponds. (c&r only)

Last edited:
I have also been looking at the pond off jumping brook and was planning on doing it this spring or so. Glad to know it isn't just a bog or marshy spot.

I can verify that the approach I made to Carrigain pond didn't work out. Very heavy growth and lots of areas with swamp muck three feet deep. Not stopping though. Going to try it again probably springtime, hopefully. With a different approach.

Keith

bushwhacks to ponds

With apologies to the earlier poster, Carrigain Pond isn't too difficult from the East following old logging roads and the drainage, then cutting over to the south slope of Carrigain to avoid the worst of the very steep headwall. On many bushwhack routes, moving a little to the left or right of the direct route can make life far more pleasant.

The Field ponds are pretty acccessible in DRY weather by the ski trail/fire road on the topographic map. The route is very boggy and the area around the ponds itself is very wet with copious pitcher plants and labrador tea.

Norcross and Nancy Ponds are quite attractive even if trail accessible. A non-pemi favorite is Long Mountain Pond in the Nash Stream area.

What is the name of the pond one can see from S. Hancock?

Reactions: dms
That one doesnt have a name to my knowlege, and Im not aware of anyone ever visiting it. There are so other ponds nearby south of Hancock Notch Trail as well. Bill do you have any pictures of the Field Ponds? One looks pretty good size and deep. Curious about it. Also Labrador Pond/ bog and Notch Bog are neat. -Mattl

Mount Field Ponds

I couldn't get on Terraserver to be sure we were talking about the same ponds. But.....the ones I was referring to are generally on the south side of Mount Field and towards the col with Whitewall Mountain to the SW of the trailless peak known as "West Field". neither of them appeared to be of significant size or depth when I visited them during an unusually dry summer.

There's another pond up in the whitewall drainage that is a fine place for watching moose.

I've seen & wondered about that pond off Jumping Brook as well. Good to get some info about it. As for the water seen from S. Hancock, check this thread.

funkyfreddy said:
What is the name of the pond one can see from S. Hancock?
Here is a decent enough photo of the pond: http://community.webshots.com/photo/449011975/1449217992064090481tQhnPO
According to Steve Smith, that is not the pond that you see on some maps. There are two ponds in there. The one in the picture is the smaller one. The large one (on the map) is closer to the steep slope of Hancock and not visible from S. Hancock Peak. Steve said he's been to both ponds in winter.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Here is a decent enough photo of the pond: http://community.webshots.com/photo/449011975/1449217992064090481tQhnPO
According to Steve Smith, that is not the pond that you see on some maps. There are two ponds in there. The one in the picture is the smaller one. The large one (on the map) is closer to the steep slope of Hancock and not visible from S. Hancock Peak. Steve said he's been to both ponds in winter.

-Dr. Wu

Great shot of that pond. Could this be a new summer destination...or maybe a late spring one just before the foliage takes over... :)

grouseking

Definetly a pretty pond, I think following the outlet would be the best way in ..? We better get some snow, caus now this is making me want spring. -Mattl

Nice shot, Wu! Here is a zoomed-out shot to give it a little location perspective.

hello,
are you still available at this address.
We are looking for more info on this pond near Jumping Brook
Thanks
campsite

Grouse, in my book that will be out very soon, I have a chapter on a bushwhacking trip into Carrigain Pond that went completely wrong and we got horribly lost. It is a deadly area of blowdowns and thick forest. It was pretty, besides almost getting lost forever. That pond near jumping brook has always been a secret amoung bushwhackers. It is a very small pond, with remnants of a logging camp on the shorelines. If you email me ill give you the name and some more info on it. The Field ponds are tough to get to, and I have heard of few people that have ever been there. Sometime I will try and attempt the trip. -Mattl

Old thread but since it's been brought back to life. This is the pond near Jumping brook. I was told by one of the foremost authorities on the WMNF that it's called (by locals) Joe Boyle Pond. Named after one of the Boyle brothers that worked for the J.E. Henry Logging Co.

P7070117.JPG

Last edited: