Nancy Pond Trail, Anderson/Lowell BW 11/19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suebiscuit

Reaction score
Hamtero, Frodo, Jeffrey and I set out at about 8:15 on the Nancy Pond Trail. Water crossings were a bit dicey – icy rocks and high-ish flow – so we had to pole vault or shimmy over trees to get across. Lively conversation on the way up, which, upon reaching the beautiful cascades, suddenly shifted to Cher and her best songs (someone in the group whose name doesn’t begin with H, J or S admitted to seeing her in concert). I chalk it up it to some strange magnetic flux created by the rushing water, as I had nothing to do with that shift, and three rugged men singing snippets of “Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves” and “If I Could Turn Back Time” while negotiating rocks and ice can only be attributed to some type of cosmic disturbance. Fortunately, we soon bumped into MtMama, MtPa and Poison Ivy, which broke the spell. Nice to meet some new VFTT faces…

Near Nancy Pond, we came across some ’small’ bear prints in the fresh inch of snow. We were impressed by the bear’s agility on the cut log bridges, but soon encountered yet another strange phenomenon, as the bear prints abruptly changed to fox prints. I was beginning to wonder what we might encounter along the way Anderson and Lowell….

We left the NPT shortly after Norcross Pond. We initial headed directly for the peak, scrambling over lots of blowdowns, pressing through thick brush and spruce with an occasional break into more open woods, but upon closer inspection, saw that the north face is most defined by ledges and cliffs. So we shifted to a direct south bearing, heading to the eastern ridge of Anderson. The going was slow, but opened up a bit once we got onto the ridge. Jeffrey led the way much of the time, and quickly used his PVC-sniffing ability to find the canister. With a bit of a struggle, it was opened and we enjoyed views to the north west and south…

We dropped off of the south side of Anderson – a steep descent that was relatively ‘open’ until the col, which was quite thick and lots of blowdowns to negotiate… Jeffrey, eternally optimistic, kept saying: “Looks good! It’s a bit more open ahead!” and we’d find a few steps of relief from the spruce and downed trees, only to have to drop our heads and plow through and scramble over again. Made it from Anderson to Lowell in about an hour and a half, again, with Jeffrey finding the canister effortlessly…

Retreated to the flat section below Lowell, then headed toward Duck Pond. At about 3200 feet. It became swampy (and still thick as thieves), so we opted to head back over the eastern ridge of Anderson, which proved to be steep, rocky, and yes, full of spruce and blowdowns… Got to the top of the ridge and discovered: footprints! Someone else had been here! I knew it! Weird things happen in 3’s – it’s true!! But, oh, no, it was just our tracks from earlier in the day, which we followed for a short distance, then headed more easterly toward Nancy Pond. The going was thick, thick, thick, (a bit thicker than our approach to Anderson, so don’t recommend heading up to Anderson from the SE corner of Nancy Pond if you decide to spend the day getting a spruce exfoliating treatment) but we made it back to the trail just as light was diminishing.

A few icy spots on the headlamp-lit trail down made for some interesting maneuvers, but we made it back to the cars by 6:30, under a spectacularly starry sky…

Thanks for the trip report. Do both Anderson and Lowell have defined summits, or does one need to know which summit bump to seek out?

Nate -

Both summits are very well-defined - pointy little peaks they are! Lowell has a flat area NW of and about 150 feet below the summit that may throw some people off, but we were able to see the summit hump from there.

sue

Thanks for the reply. Also, how did your group decide to approach these peaks from the north rather than the south?

Gee, Neighbor, you're report sounds just like mine...:D And your point is...:confused: :confused: :confused:

We were hoping to include Duck Pond Mt. in our day, thus the northern approach, but the going was slow, so ran out of sunlight.

Neighbor, Sounds like you and Chickety had a fun weekend. We missed you in the brutal brush... Jeffrey took on the forehead slash this time...

Pretty sad that a) I only seem to run into people at REI or bars lately, b) I did not recognize Hamtero (my bad). Not sad that I got to hear of your escapades from him firsthand :). Lowell and Anderson have long been calling me. Might make for a nice whack come next fall! Well done - now I know who to call when I need info!

Cher? OMG!

Suebiscuit said:
Gee, Neighbor, you're report sounds just like mine...:D And your point is...:confused: :confused: :confused:

We were hoping to include Duck Pond Mt. in our day, thus the northern approach, but the going was slow, so ran out of sunlight.

Neighbor, Sounds like you and Chickety had a fun weekend. We missed you in the brutal brush... Jeffrey took on the forehead slash this time...
never mind :D

Suebiscuit it was great to meet you and the gang. Hope to see you all again on the trails. Had you caught us five minutes later you could have joined me for a swim. Although if I heard you singing Cher I might have been inclined to hide in the woods until you passed

Nice TR! Glad to hear that you had a good time.

Barbarossa and I tried for Anderson and Lowell this summer but only made Anderson due to time concerns and going through what Barb described as "Spruce Hell".

As much as I hate leaving a straggler peak, the area is so nice that I won't mind going back up there again (except for when I go off the trail :D). Maybe my next trip in there will be for Lowell and Duck Pond...