Nashua, NH ICE CREAM night... May 4th - 8th..

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Probable that I will be in Nashua, NH for the week of May 4th-8th on business. Anybody up for some ice cream?? I don't know where but I'm sure somebody here has a recommendation. Too much beer in the world, not enough ice cream. :D :D :) :p

Jay

Ice cream ALWAYS makes me happy!!! (so does beer-that would be Martha's Exchange microbrew on Main St Nashua; EXCELLENT beer):D Try Haywoods Ice Cream on the North End of DW Hwy in Nashua, it's been there for 100 years. I live in the North Country now, haven't found a good ice cream place up here yet? :confused:

mmm.. i second haywoods! call me when you're in nashua. i'll be around after the weekend starting tuesday.

We have (or actually had) a cold stone's near me. They were rich and unique but expensive and has since gone out of business.

I like local home made stuff, so Haywoods sounds good. I'll have to see if they have a website and directions... Sounds like I may bring my road bike up so if anybody want to ride and go for some ice cream, I'll try to pick a date and provide a cell phone number. I can't say how late I'll be working since it's my first time (on business) to the branch there. I hope they don't have me working til 10pm or something. :)

Jay

If you have your road bike a beautiful ride is to start at the southern end of Nashua and get on the Rail Trail down into Massachusetts and back. About 24 miles round trip from the northern terminus, and there's (or at least used to be) ice cream in Pepperell Center.

Alright, looks like I have to be at work on a monday afternoon.. How about wednesday night, May 6th, perhaps 7pmish...

Tim, since you may know where Haywoods is better than I do, is that place look feasible to bike to? I.e. not in some interstate or something. As a commuter, I will have a full complement of lights front and rear, and panniers. This is a full on Road bike, and not a specialized tourer or commuter...

I have to find the hotel I'm in to see if biking to the Nashua office is feasible too..

Jay

If you end up being on the northern end of Nashua, head west towards Milford on Route 101 and go to Jakes. They have the best homemade ice cream around. I'd be willing to drive there from Manchester to meet up with some VFTTers.

I just looked at the address of the place in nashua, it appears to be on canal street, close to where the Nashua River meets the Merrimack, south of Bower's Pond. How is that in relationship to Jakes or Haywoods, any preferences???

I think I am staying at the Marriott (Courtyard) over by the intersection of the Everett Parkway and 101A (or Amherst street). Is there any chance of biking to canal street from there or are the roads insane? It looks like 3.8 miles from where I will be to where I shall go but it looks like Amhert Road is probably pretty busy, going pass 2 major highways...

Jay

Last edited:
You shouldn't have any trouble cycling to/from the Mariott. Route 101A is busy, lined with strip malls, but has a wide shoulder. We end up on it at the end of some of the Monday night rides we go on and have never had an issue or felt unsafe. It's 2 lanes in each direction, plus the shoulders.

Another good place for ice cream is "The Big One" in Nashua by the Merrimack town line.

Here is a link to an ice cream stand review from 2006.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060702/NEWS01/107020121/-1/news

I may be able to make this one..I love ice cream! :p

I live near Kimball's in westford...so never go farther than that and I can ride my bike to it and back easilly on back roads!

Maybe schedule another night for Kimball's ice cream and ride????:rolleyes:

Hey Darl, yeah, I am right now, tentatively getting together with Bikehikeskifish for a road ride on tuesday, then the ice cream social on wednesday at haywoods. Then Jakes is an option and then BobandGeri mentioned a"the Big one" which sounds intriguing. I wonder if they are like my old favorite spot growing up called the Milk Barn where they literally gave you a PINT of ice cream on a sugar cone, all for $1.25... Yummmmmmm.....

How does thursday work for you? I sent a PM to BHSF to see about the riding possibilities to various ice cream places... I need a list of directions from 2200 Southwoods Drive, which is the Marriot I am in... Maybe I'll do that shortly..

Jay

Others are certainly welcome. I was thinking (if we leave from Nashua) of riding out through Hollis and/or Pepperell. Westford has some decent riding too, last I did it, so that is OK as well. I wasn't envisioning a 50-mile paceline ride. :eek:

Tim

Others are certainly welcome. I was thinking (if we leave from Nashua) of riding out through Hollis and/or Pepperell. Westford has some decent riding too, last I did it, so that is OK as well. I wasn't envisioning a 50-mile paceline ride. :eek:
Tim

Depending on the weather and time we may be interested in joining you for a ride. Agree that there are some nice loops in that direction.

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream!

I can go after work one night. Just keep us all posted!

It appears that Jakes is just 6 miles west of the Marriot right on 101A, really close by...

Haywood is actually south of where I am on the Daniel Webster Highway and looks like it is past "Downtown" Nashua..

I suggest Wednesday at 7pm Haywoods and thursday at Jakes. I am also open for dinner too...

Jay

Hey Darl, yeah, I am right now, tentatively getting together with Bikehikeskifish for a road ride on tuesday, then the ice cream social on wednesday at haywoods.
How does thursday work for you? I sent a PM to BHSF to see about the riding possibilities to various ice cream places... I need a list of directions from 2200 Southwoods Drive, which is the Marriot I am in... Maybe I'll do that shortly..

Jay

Hey Jay,
Right now Thursday works for me. Tuesday's I have a PT exercise class which I can't skip for my knee. :eek:

Won't be able to do anything too major, but biked last night and it felt great! I took Davesunra on a bike ride around Groton, Westford last summer and we hit the Groton ice cream shop...yummm

I'll put it on my calendar. I live on a really hilly lake road that almost all bikers have ridden if they have gone through Groton. Fun loop ride! :D

So what are the times and dates for rides and such, will try to join.

Dave

Dave, Bikehikeskifish mentioned 6pm on tuesday, however, I get out at 5:30pm and not sure 1)how concrete that time will be and 2) I would have drive back and get myself changed, etc.

Tim suggested meeting at my hotel which is the Courtyard by Marriot on 2200 Southwoods Drive, Nashua, NH. You can google that but it's just off the F.E Everett parkway north and west of downtown Nashua. Exit 8 I think.

jay