NE4Ks vs. CO 14Ks?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weatherman

Reaction score
South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkl
Hi all-
I'm lucky enough to be moving from MA to CO, more or less permanently, for a job later this summer. :D I have a zillion co-workers who, hearing that I peakbag, have offered to take me up any and all 14Ks that they love. And they love almost all of them. Having heard the tragic news today of a death on a CO 14K while climbing, I thought hard and said to myself "this is perhaps one list I DON"T want to complete!"

Looking at the 14er list, it looks like roughly 1/4 are peaks I likely wouldn't try, 1/2 are ones that would be fun and not super hard, and a bunch in the middle rate "Class 3". It also looks like "class 3" is a pretty wide range. My question is, which trails in NE would rate Class 3? I'm guessing Knife Edge and Cathedral on Katahdin, Abol, Flume Slide, Tripyramid North Slide, and (I'm guessing as I haven't done it) Huntington Ravine.

Opinions? Just wanted something from which to compare.

Thanks.

Flume Slide is more like 2.5 :D. Huntington is definitely a 3, and I'd argue that North Slide is too. Holt Trail on Cardigan may be a 3, but I haven't done that one yet. Abol is tough 2 or easy 3. Hell Brook Trail in Vermont could be a 2.5 or 3 also, but I haven't done that one yet either. Knife Edge is probably only a 3 at the "chimney" near Pamola Peak, otherwise i'd say it's a tough 2.

Even if it's challenging, you have to at least give Capitol Peak in CO a shot!

BTW, pick up this excellent CO summits guidebook if you don't have it: http://www.google.com/products/cata...XBpO62AS0qoWNBQ&sa=button&ved=0CA8QgggwATgA#p

Have fun out there!

Last edited:
The recent death in Colorado points out another factor that's accepted by Colorado climbers but unusual on heavily-travelled trails in New England: loose rock. Try the main gully on Whitewall (NH) for a loose class 3.

Definitely go with company until you get used to reading the terrain and the weather - I hear many CO summits are at high risk of lightning strikes practically every summer day starting in the early afternoon.

Last edited:
The recent death in Colorado points out another factor that's accepted by Colorado climbers but unusual on heavily-travelled trails in New England: loose rock. Try the main gully on Whitewall (NH) for a loose class 3.

Definitely go with company until you get used to reading the terrain and the weather - I hear many CO summits are at high risk of lightning strikes practically every summer day starting in the early afternoon.
Agree with both! Many hikers start out VERY early in the AM to avoid the afternoon weather. We did not start very early for Torres and Gray, and we got pelted by hail in the afternoon. It got VERY cold, VERY fast. But then, when the Sun came out, it got VERY warm, VERY fast! Expect rapidly changing conditions.

Actually, that's how I got my trail name... for real. :eek:

Hmm, which are more deadly, blackflies or lightning strikes? One could argue either side.

Thanks for the great information, everyone!

Hang out on 14ers.com to get a feel for things (if you aren't already; I saw a few posts by someone moving out from MA). Class 3's a pretty big range and it's hard to make an apples to apples comparison; Class 2 in CO often has a heavy scree component that's less common here (Owl's Head, South Tri) and it doesn't seem common to have the slabby slides like North Tri, which I'd also peg as Class 2/2+.

The ultimate advice seems to be "go and find out." I'm thinking of Blanca/Ellingwood later this summer, which has a Class 3 option; which end of the state will you be on?

I'll be near Denver starting 8/9 or so, but may not have much time to hike for a while due to a very ambitious new job. I'm thinking if I'm lucky I'll get one 14er this year before it snows. It may be a year that the crampons see more use than the summer boots.

Never say never

Looking at the 14er list, it looks like roughly 1/4 are peaks I likely wouldn't try

Not being a rock climber, I never thought I'd attempt the Maroon Bells, Pyramid, or Capitol either, but somehow I've managed to solo each of them last summer, and they were awesome! I did the two Bells separately though - not the Class 5 traverse. Six to go.

Work up to it. Get accustomed to exposure. Buy a helmet.

Also, the Denver foothillls have some really nice open-space parks/trails minutes from the city:
http://www.co.jefferson.co.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R108.htm

Last edited:
It's hard to compare the northeast to the 14ers b/c there are so many factors that just don't carry-over. (I lived in CO from '02 to '06.)

Weather/Lightning -- rule of thumb is to summit by noon at the latest, which calls for some early departures. Treeline is roughly 11,500 out there, so obviously you will be exposed to the elements for much of every hike (like doing the Prezzies every time). I turn around at the first rumble of thunder unless I'm spitting distance from the summit.

Elevation -- can turn an easy hike instead a slog. Don't underestimate the vagaries or severity of it.

Exposure -- very few trails in the northeast have you peering down hundreds or thousands of feet, whereas some of the standard "trails" in CO have some nerve-wracking exposure. Even simple class 1 and 2 trails can become daunting when placed on a narrow ridge with long drop-offs.

Because of scree and exposure and whatnot, the class rating system is a guideline at best. I've done class 4 hikes that I thought were more like class 2, and some vice versa. What was a fairly enjoyable though challenging hike up North Maroon became mildly terrifying in a thunderstorm and downpour because of the slick footing.

I recommend the Gerry Roach book and Trails Illustrated maps. Start with straightforward stuff and work your way up. Also, don't worry about the friggin 14ers. There is SO much more to Colorado than those. I spent relatively little time on them. If you're in Denver/Boulder, explore the Indian Peaks and Gore Range. PM if you want specifics.

Most of all... enjoy it! The weather is fantastic and good for year-round recreation.

Great advice, and thanks so much to all again. I really need to get used to exposure, which I hate now and am totally wimpy about. 20 miles, 5,000 vert feet grind? No problem. 200 foot fall=die? Problem.

Yeah, anytime outside is great- the "frigging 14ers" probably have relatively less presence in one's mind because of everything else. My daughter will have a 1.5 mile bike ride on trails to middle school...:D:D that alone is worth it.

PM if you'll be in the area this Fall.
Chris

Pick up the book ‘‘Halfway to Heaven,’’ by Mark Obmascik, from your local library. It’s real good, although it’s not a Fourteeners version of James R. Burnside’s ‘‘Exploring the 46 Adirondack High Peaks.’’ ‘‘Halfway to Heaven’’ has no maps*, trail elevation profiles, or even photographs, but I still enjoyed it very much. It should whet your appetite for hiking there. It has mine, although I have yet to even make any plans for actually going to Colorado.

For the maps, trail elevation profiles, and pictures, visit Josh Friesema’s website. He was one of the characters in the most dramatic story in Mark’s book.

I’ve also found some high-quality videos on the Internet that are enough to dissuade me from tackling the mountains Stinkyfeet mentioned, and others. This one must be like one of those horror movies where what you don’t see is worse than what you see. They say that most people who climb this peak don’t even have the nerve to get to the actual summit (Mark Obmascik, and his companion on that hike, who, if I remember correctly, had climbed El Capitan, didn’t), let alone stand up on it. And I guess the really tricky part is getting back down again.

Here is another one, a 13er, to roil your stomach juices. So much for completing their Hundred-Highest list.

* Actually, it has a map that shows the locations of the 55 14ers (although the copy throughout the book otherwise says there are 54 14ers), but no topographic maps that would assist a hiker.

Great advice, and thanks so much to all again. I really need to get used to exposure, which I hate now and am totally wimpy about. 20 miles, 5,000 vert feet grind? No problem. 200 foot fall=die? Problem.

It's great to read that line. As a bit of a lurker, I'm always envious of what I read here about the climbs people do. I love hiking and climbing, but I am terrified of heights. It's an odd combination, but the drops really scare the willies out of me. It's good to know there are others out there who push themselves to overcome their fear because of their love of the mountains.

Have fun in Colorado. What a gorgeous state it is - if I could move anywhere Colorado would be it.