Nearest hiking to Brunswick, Maine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRat

Reaction score
Hi all!

Next week I'll be camping in Brunswick, ME at the Thomas Point Beach Bluegrass Festival and was wondering if anyone familiar with the area has any hiking suggestions within an hour or two drive from there.

I figure one good daytrip would be a wonderful vacation within my vacation. Any ideas or other VFTTers going to the fest? I love to combine my obsessions! :D

Grafton Notch is a little a little under two hours.
Old Speck and Baldpate

The BaldFace over in Conway are 2 hours away

Chocorua is 1:45 away.

Mt Blue in Weld Maine is 1:40

Dalraida said:
Do a search for Morse Mountain. There are old sandbag bunkers there from WWII. The site belongs to Bates College and there is a small parking lot just off the highway. The beach adjoins Popham Beach State Park but the beaches are seperated by a large marsh drainage creek. Nice old hill and remote beach.

http://www.bates.edu/morse-mountain.xml

I second that. Yam and I were there just a few weeks ago. It's about a mile or so hike up and over Morse Mountain and then you reach the beach, which is hands down the best beach I've ever been to. The tidal pools are unreal if you can get there at low tide.

Also, you'll be pretty close to Wolf's Neck State Park in Freeport, which is great for dayhiking (though your treks would only be a few miles). There's a small island in view there where ospreys nest, and you can get a great look at them. Neat little park.

Not too many "mt's" around brunswick. There are about 5 mini mt's in my neck of the woods that rise 1,000 -1,400 feet, and good views of the ocean. It's about 50 miles from brunswick and takes about an hour. The only other hikes from there are in acadia or grafton notch, and those are a lot longer drive. If you have any real warm sunny days, check out popham beach in the brunswick area, great waves, great beach.

Camden Hills State Park

For a real treat head north up Rt 1 To Camden and hike up Mt Megunticook &/or Mt Battie. The state park has dozens of miles of trails. What makes these peaks unique are the views of the ocean from the summit.

"Camden Hills State Park signature location is the scenic vista high atop Mt. Battie where sweeping views of Camden, Penobscot Bay, and surrounding islands await. On a clear day, visitors can see Cadillac Mountain at Acadia National Park. Mt. Megunticook, the highest of the Camden Hills - and highest peak on the mainland - is a moderate climb by foot trail."

Onestep

The midcoast area (Camden) also has a lot of tree-hugger groups that have hiking trails on property they manage. If you do a search on GRTA (Georges River Tidewater Association), among other groups, you'll find a lot of hiking trails.

Another plug for the Camden Hills Park though, nice way to spend a day with some awesome views.

check out Bradbury Mtn State Park in Pownal,Wolf's neck SP or Mast Landing Sanctuary in South Freeport