Need advice: Hiking in bad weather ...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueZ

Reaction score
planning to do a hike this saturday...

The weather forecast doesn't look good. So big mountains like mt. Washington are out of question.

With your respected hiking experience, which trail would you take if you really want to go out for a day, with nice views around the trail, SAFE, and exerting reasonable exercise for a reasonable hiker? :confused: :cool:

BTW, I have water-proof clothes, I know the danger of hyothermia from the recent two incidents @ Oregon, but can't resist to go to mountains ... :eek:

Thanks ... :D

Last edited:
This summer Hikerfast, Jen and I parked on the Kanc at the Greeley Ponds Trailhead. We walked all the way out to the ponds, continued on to Livermore road and walked a bunch of side trails out there like the "Big Pines" and the Kettles trail. Some beautiful little side trips that often get overlooked as peakbaggers chug by to hit up the Tri-p's.

Brian

There's no such thing as bad weather, just inappropriate clothing.

I wish I knew who said that...

jbreen said:

however, there is no view on the top of the mountain in bad weather because of low visibility... :(

My question is which trail(s) is/are pretty even under low visibility situation.

I'm thinking of Zealand Notch if zealand road is still open. I don't know what Welch-Dickey Loop or Mt. cardigan will look like in rain. I suspect there is no view on the top with low visibility... Should I leave these beautiful summits for a sunny day?

thanks Brian, I have been to Greeley Ponds last summer. pretty place. don't know what it looks like in winter.

blueZ said:
My question is which trail(s) is/are pretty even under low visibility situation.
In the rain and fog, one tends to focus on things that are close to the trail. Different from on a clear day. Nice in its way.

I'm thinking of Zealand Notch if zealand road is still open.
Closed. Most seasonal roads are closed now.

I don't know what Welch-Dickey Loop or Mt. cardigan will look like in rain. I suspect there is no view on the top with low visibility... Should I leave these beautiful summits for a sunny day?
Welch has some steep slabs. Not a good choice when wet.
Cardigan--stay of the Holt trail--more steep slabs, other trails ok.

If you are bagging peaks, a good time for the viewless ones. Or forget the peaks--the Waterville hikes mentioned earlier are nice. Or hike to waterfalls.

Doug

blueZ said:
thanks Brian, I have been to Greeley Ponds last summer. pretty place. don't know what it looks like in winter.

Ironically, Hikerfast was telling us this is the place he likes to take new hikers in the winter. He says that, when the ice is thick enough to walk on, you can get out into the middle of the ponds and get some neat view perspectives not available in the non-snow months (unless you are into bushwacking around to the other sides.)

Brian

jbreen said:
Kevin Rooney said:
According to this link , it was Sir Rannulph Fiennes
Gee. I would have thought it would be Gore. A great salesman line. "If you have the right clothing, you can go anywhere at any time."

Wonder what kind of clothing those Mt Hood people had.

DougPaul said:
...Or hike to waterfalls.
Doug

Bingo. I'll second Doug's suggestion. When you know it gonna be wet with low visibility, but you're itching to get into the woods, then don't try to beat the rain, join it. Go to the waterfalls. Do a search here on "best waterfall hikes".

Pete_Hickey said:
Wonder what kind of clothing those Mt Hood people had.

Sadly, according to the reports, not much.

When you are finished packing, stop, ask yourself "If I were to get lost or sustain an injury, how long can I expect to survive with what I have in my pack, taking into consideration hypothermia, starvation and dehydration?
I don't know if this sign is still on the pole as you ride up one of the Killington chairlifts. It reads...."The mountain will be as cold and lonely tonight as it was 200 years ago."
Be ready for the unexpected. You will never be sorry.

Last edited:
Maddy said:
taking into consideration hypothermia, starvation and dehydration?

And injury.

I also pack this way and think this way on all trips. I always assume I will be in trouble (or come across someone on the trail that may need help) at least for 48 hours before being found and totally on my own. Weather it is a day hike or camping trip. I know there are other trains of thought and that is fine. This is just me.

Keith

Last edited:
dvbl said:
Bingo. I'll second Doug's suggestion. When you know it gonna be wet with low visibility, but you're itching to get into the woods, then don't try to beat the rain, join it. Go to the waterfalls. Do a search here on "best waterfall hikes".

I agree ...

This is why I chose Zealand Trail to zealand pond and zealand fall, and the hut. I remember it is a beautiful trail and I want to see it in winter. Too bad zealand road is closed now. :eek:

About weather and hike: I did a hike to Jefferson last fall in rain. it was cold, very windy, low visibility. I was able to follow the caps ridge trail above tree line, but I had trouble to stand because of the strong wind. Hiked another half miles above treeline, I felt there is no point to go to summit. there is no view there. I turned around. on the way back, the weather getting worse ...

This is the situation I try to avoid. In bad weather, you are under pressure; under pressure, you don't have much energy left to appreciate the views. You just want to get out of the place ASAP. :p

Thanks all for the helpful information. I becomes more careful because the knowledge from you guys. :)

Last edited:
not just you Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
And injury.

I also pack this way and think this way on all trips. I always assume I will be in trouble (or come across someone on the trail that may need help) at least for 48 hours before being found and totally on my own. Weather it is a day hike or camping trip. I know there are other trains of thought and that is fine. This is just me.

Keith

me too, and quite a few others...

Ed

blueZ said:
This is why I chose Zealand Trail to zealand pond and zealand fall, and the hut. I remember it is a beautiful trail and I want to see it in winter. Too bad zealand road is closed now. :eek:
Not a showstopper, just a minor nuisance. An easy walk--regularly skied and hiked in winter. And there are some nice views from it.

Doug

SAR-EMT40 said:
And injury.

Light and fast accomplishes more and has a lower chance of a problem, but is worse if there is a problem. Heavy and slow accomplishes less and has a higer chance of a probem, but is more able to take care of problems.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. Or maybe you takes your choice and you pays your money...

Guess I tend toward the heavier end of the spectrum...

Doug

Hike to a pond. Ethan, Shoal, Nancy, Three Ponds...these are all nice hikes. More like walks in the woods. I usually head for a low-level hike that that if I don't feel like dealing w/ the weather.

Another nice pond hike, thinking back to a drizzly October day over a year ago, is East Pond. If you feel adventurous you can make your way over to Little East Pond which might be interesting if there hasn't been any trail maintenance since then.

Knowing big mountains are out is a pretty good idea, if a lot of water if forecasted, water crossings should be avoided too. Thinking about changing your destination means you're thinking which is rule one.

Waterfalls would be a good choice of destination. That said sometimes I like to visit a summit in bad weather that has short term exposure & quck escape. Jackson, Pierce, Osceola (when Tripolii Road is open) are good choices for that. (I've also been on the summits at least 2x, many several more times than that so I don't mind missing a great view if I've seen it before)

DougPaul said:
Light and fast accomplishes more and has a lower chance of a problem, but is worse if there is a problem. Heavy and slow accomplishes less and has a higer chance of a probem, but is more able to take care of problems.

You pays your money and you takes your choice. Or maybe you takes your choice and you pays your money...

Guess I tend toward the heavier end of the spectrum...

Doug

I prefer the saying you pays your money and you rolls the dice, because that is what the light and fasters are doing. They are betting their life that they can out guess the weather, out think the misstep, overcome the illness before they are physically destroyed.

Sometimes the term "experienced" simply means someone who have been doing unsafe things, for a long time and have gotten away with it. IMHO

I believe that fast and light is an option, not a strategy. I think too many climber believe that it is something that you can use over and over. The thought that going fast and light your exposure time is shorter maybe true but even minor problems can evolve into a major disaster. Sooner or later you are going to get caught.

Keith

SAR-EMT40 said:
I prefer the saying you pays your money and you rolls the dice, because that is what the light and fasters are doing. They are betting their life that they can out guess the weather, out think the misstep, overcome the illness before they are physically destroyed.
It depends a lot on what kind of hiking/climbing one is doing. Here in the NE, moving slowly rarely increases one's risk significantly on hiking routes. In some other places or on some technical routes, one has to pass through zones of rockfall or icefall (eg the Eiger North Face). Or one might have to deal with short weather windows or beat the afternoon thunderstorms, etc. In such places, speed is safety.

Doug

Last edited: