Need NPT advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz

Reaction score
Never been on the NPT so looking for advice/suggestions on my plan.

My son & I (both 46er & lots winter) planning to travel North starting at the S. trailhead, on March 31, & hike to Wakley Dam site by April 7

Questions to you vets of the trail:

What do you think trail conditions might be?
Those that live in the area, what do you think the temps might be?

All suggestion appreciated

Cheers

Copying and pasting my response to your thread on ADKForum here as well.

Note: There is no winter/spring car access to Wakely Dam. The road is closed a few miles east (towards Indian Lake). So you'll have to hike that much further to get to your car.

I would go prepared for snow- definitely bring your snowshoes. The warm temperatures should help consolidate the snow some, though, but I would still be prepared for deep unbroken snow in some of the more remote areas (especially the West Canada Lakes). It's likely that the snow will slow you up.

In terms of temperatures, be prepared for below freezing (teens) at night, and around 50 degrees during the day. Also be prepared to get wet, with all of the melting snow- especially if you end up tent camping. If it rains, you'll be cold and wet. Be careful about hypothermia.

My biggest concern would be stream crossings. Many small streams that the NPT crosses do not have bridges. Normally, in the summer/fall, these streams are not difficult to cross, but during your time frame it is likely that the water will be up. You may find some difficult, if not dangerous, crossings along the way.

I would not want to do chest deep sream crossings in late March/early April.