Need some Great Range info

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumpkinhead

Reaction score
Planning a trip out of Johns Brook later this week with Gothics, Basin, Haystack, Wolf Jaws/Armstong as likely peak destinations. I've never gone in this season so it's hard to know what to expect. Two concerns: water availability and ice. Haven't decided whether to base-camp it in JB valley or up higher near the summits - is there water at Wolf Jaws leanto? Best routes to avoid danger for the abovementioned peaks? Thank you!

Water availability shouldn't be too big a concern yet. No matter which lean-to site you pick (including WJ), there is available water nearby. Seems to me that as long as you stay low enough (elevation wise) to still have decent tributaries flowing, they're not gonna be frozen over (you might have to bust through a small layer of ice though). It's running water, so it takes quite a bit to freeze all the way through. As far as JLB, definatly water, JB flows year round I beleive, you just have chip your way down to it in deep winter. When all else fails, melt snow.

I've not been up in about a month, but sounds (from trip reports) that it's pretty much winter conditions now. As far a which routes are dangerous, if your properly outfitted for winter (crampons should be manditory now), none of the traditional routes should be overly dangerous.

If it's icy (and it probably is), take particular caution on some of the open rock faces found along the range, such as the east/west sides of gothics, west side of saddleback, upper cone of basin, etc. Without crampons, those places will be like vertical ice rinks if it's icy.

Let us know how it goes.

If you're doing Gothics and Basin, I'm assuming Saddleback is in the mix (unless you are hiking them on two different days and from different directions). Best to do Basin/Saddleback/Gothics from a counter-clockwise direction because of the "wall" on Saddleback. Not sure that I would want to do it if there is ice (as there appears to be). It is tricky enough when dry.

Just a thought.

I did Basin and Saddleback two weekends ago and there was about and inch of crusty snow and some thin ice on the rocks. Of course conditions at this time change daily so get the latest trail report.

The trickiest spot we encountered was coming off the summit of Basin towards Saddleback. This side faces North and doesn't get any daytime sun so the snow and ice made it tricky enough that crampons would have been a very welcome item. There is a steep drop off at the base of the icy section.

The west side of Saddleback on the other hand, although much steeper, was bare, dry and a delight to climb in the afternoon sun.
If there is ice on there, it would be virtually impossible without crampons. It is a non technical climb....you'll definitely be using your hands.
Coming down the Orebed brook trail was also tricky due to thin ice and the North facing aspect.

Good Luck

-Phil