New Baxter State Park Geology Book

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amicus

Reaction score
A knowledgeable friend forwarded me, with an enthusiastic recommendation, the following notice of what sounds like a promising new publication by the Maine Geological Survey. At $10, it seems like a worthy investment, and I have already ordered a copy. Perhaps one or more of our resident geologists know something about this?

Maine Geological Survey Publishes New Baxter State Park Geology Book

A new book published by the Maine Geological Survey is unearthing a neglected aspect of Baxter State Park and Katahdin -- its geology and the continent-moving forces that went into creating this unique part of Maine. Through a collaborative effort, “A Guide to the Geology of Baxter State Park and Katahdin” by Douglas W. Rankin and Dabney W. Caldwell completely revises an earlier bulletin on the same subject. The new book, however, includes new information about Baxter State Park based on the latest understanding of plate tectonics and continental glaciation; two full-color maps on bedrock and glacial geology; stunning photos that give a real feel for the park area; interesting sidebars on history, science and geology; and perhaps most enticing, a description of five geology hikes ranging from easyto challenging.

Famous for a number of reasons, such as being a terminus of the Appalachian Trail and for its unique Alpine ecology, Katahdin and the 209,501-acre park often are overlooked from the geological perspective. Yet it is the geology that defines the mountain and the dramatic landscapes of the park. The park basically is a large area of igneous intrusions and volcanic rocks, featuring solidified molten granite pushed up from below in a gigantic eruption to form the mountain, later carved out by glacial activity, in the southern part of the park; and sedimentary rocks, specifically in the north part of the park, that contain numerous fossils, including Maine’s state fossil, Pertica quadrifaria, a primitive plant.

After Caldwell’s death in 2006, MGS decided to revamp the guide and invited Rankin, another internationally noted geologist with the U.S. Geological Survey who mapped much of the volcanic rocks, to participate in the project. MGS staff designed and edited the new book.

The book is $10, plus tax, and can be purchased by calling the Maine Geological Survey at: (207) 287-2801.
Additional information about purchasing the book can be found at: http://www.maine.gov/doc/nrimc/mgs/baxter.htm

Cool, I do love me some geology maps!! The price sure sounds right! Thanks for the heads up.

I believe one of our resident geologists is mentioned in this article in the Bangor Daily.

I shared this information with a friend of mine who teaches geology here at UNH Manchester and he responded, in part..."Recent book released on the geology of the Presidential Range by Dykstra Eudsen is also excellent."

Last edited:
I shared this information with a friend of mine who teaches geology here at UNH Manchester and he responded, in part..."Recent book released on the geology of the Presidential Range by Dykstra Eudsen is also excellent."

Agreed, Eusden's book is excellent on the bedrock geology of the Presidential Range. Now, if only someone would publish a similar book on the glacial and surficial geology of that area.

My copy arrived today and it is a steal at $10. The 80-page softbound book is very nicely prepared, with many color photos, maps and diagrams. The five "geology hikes" described in the last chapter include some of my favorite BSP Trails, such as Cathedral, the Knife Edge and the Travelers Loop, but also a trek up the banks of South Branch Ponds Brook that I would never have thought of.

Also included are two separate 18 x 24-inch color "Plates," which illustrate attractively the Bedrock and the Surficial Geology of BSP and Katahdin.

The book describes impartially the "spirited debate" between the late Prof. Caldwell and Prof. T. Davis on glaciation in BSP. I know little geology, but the authors seem to have attempted conscientiously to summarize the current state of thinking on the topics they address. Thank you, State of Maine!