new believer in sternum strap camera carry

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forestgnome

Reaction score
One of our posters(can't remember who) advocates attaching their camera case to the sturnum strap for quick access. I've planned on trying it, realizing the advantage if some cool wildlife sighting happens. Well, I just learned the value of this idea.

I was walking out on Rob Brook Road after hiking to Owl's Cliff(on the way in I saw fresh deer tracks). Then I heard three rifle shots (usually indicating a miss :eek: ) from the SW. Ten minutes later I saw a beautiful, huge buck walking through the woods from the SW, about to step onto the road just 20 feet in front of me. I crouched down and quietly pulled off my backback, opened it up and got my hands on my camera case while watching him walk and chew.
Then he stopped before I could open the case. There was no way I could continue to remove the camera due to noise. I had to remain completely still; he was way too close to not hear any noise from me. So I just watched him walk out into a perfect setting for a photograph, unable to shoot. The light on him was gorgeous and soft, no shadows. The backdrop was solid spruce with a dusting of snow. It was such a beautiful moment. Then he turned and looked at me, flared his nostrils and snorted, stomped the ground and took flight. What a moment!!! All the while I have my hands in my pack, where I have a 6.3 mp camera with a 300mm Antivibe zoom. D'OH!!! :mad:

Immediately afterward, I attached the camera case to my sternum strap with carabiners, as has been suggested here. It is quite comfortable and it distributes the weight a bit more evenly.

forestnome said:
One of our posters(can't remember who) advocates attaching their camera case to the sturnum strap for quick access. I've planned on trying it, realizing the advantage if some cool wildlife sighting happens. Well, I just learned the value of this idea.

That would have been us :> Makes the camera easy to access and you aren't heavy on one side. We use a Lowepro top loading holster style bag.

Sorry you missed the photo op, but it sounds like you had a great experience!

Ah, yes, Bobandgeri. Great idea. My case is also a Lowepro toploader, and I quickly decided I liked the way the weight is more even, very comfortable. Thanks for the idea.

Yes, it still was a magical moment! What a beauty!!!

Happy Trails!

I too missed many good photo opts when I would carry the 35 mm in my pack. I bought a digital with the 10x optical zoom just to hike with. It is too big for a pocket but I found I can keep it hanging around my neck with the neck strap and I just use the chest strap of my pack to keep it from flopping around as I hike and bend over. Instantly ready. Now if nature would cooperate.

I put the camera case on the backpack's waist belt. I use a carabiner to attach the side of the camera case to a strap on the side of the pack. That keeps the camera case on my side instead of in front of me where it gets in the way on steep trails.

You can sort of see the set up in this shot.

- darren

Though I'm sure I'm not the one advocating it, I've always done this with my camera. I have a Lowepro camera case with built in rainsack and it has a velcro back that you can run your sternum strap through. Of course, you'll take more photos with it this way than if you carried it in your pack.

Jay

I carry my light-weight digital P&S in a Lowe-Pro case on my belt. I can slide it around front or to the side as needed. Quick access to the camera via a zipper closure on the case.

I used to carry my film SLR on a shoulder strap hanging diagonally across my chest (like a rock-climber's gear sling). Works either way--under or over my pack. Keeps the camera out of the way, but readily available when needed.

Doug

I keep my case on my hip belt. It has a zipper on top and a flap that goes over that. I leave the camera's wrist strap hanging out to one side and when the time comes I unzip the top, slip hand into wrist strap and pull the camera out.
I usually try to keep near center so my legs won't keep bumping it up and down.

One thing that I should add to my reply, is that if you do keep the camera on your sternum strap, I would keep it in some kind of case. I don't seem to have a problem with steep trails like Darren mentions, but since it is in front of you, I am always sweating on it on the hotter days which my case will absord, rather than my camera.

Jay

bruno said:
dude!! where is that shot from??!!!! :)

The Dolomites in Italy. That is Marmolada in the background. If you go to Part 6 of my trip report, there is links at the top to all the other parts. That photo is from Part 2.

- darren

Mark said:
Isn't three consecutive shots a distress signal?

Hmmm...Don't know the answer to that. To be more precise, I heard one shot, then a few seconds later, a couple more shots. I interpret that as two shots at a fleeing deer who was missed by the first shot. A hunter I spoke with agreed.

Like Darren, I too carry a small LowePro padded case attached to my waist strap. The cam itself also has a sturdy and liteweight neck strap that ,as I approach the key areas, I can remove totally from waist pack and have accessible/ available for shots. My cam is a 7mp digital but only 3x zoom. My 8X zoom is too big and cumbersome for trekking altho I often miss this bigger zoom. Tradeoffs in everything. Above works for me...

stuck on stupid!

It happened again! :( On a Thanksgiving Day hike I kept the camera case inside my backpack because of light snow. I followed FR137 for a couple miles, then bushwacked a big loop and came upon a big clearing. There was a huge bull moose, covered in snow, beautiful rack. We spotted each other at the same time. I removed my backpack, opened it and got my hands on my camera, then he trotted across the field and slipped into the woods as I tried to shoot.

He looked at me, standing perfectly still, long enough to get a shot had I been carrying out front, but nooooooooooo . His back and rack had a dusting of powder, and he was standing in wintered wildflowers up to his knees. The snow was not very heavy so my camera case would have handled it.

I'll never carry in my backpack again. Still, a beautiful sight watching a bull moose in full trot, all covered in snow.

Kevin Rooney said:
When it occurs during hunting system, it usually means you're a poor shot ...
I sometimes teach Native American studies to the Boy Scouts.
The word Vegetarian also means "poor shot" :D

Wally World has a number of neopreme knock off bags, I clip one to my pack straps or chest strap and have never missed a shot either.