New Hiker/Climber Section?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Rickie

Reaction score
Do we have an exclusive section or sticky a new hiker could go to so they can start out better prepared. We pontificate on lost and injured hikers all the time. Lets do them a service and consolidate our best thoughts and then lock or sticky the thread. Who wants to add to this thread?

Many forums have a FAQ to serve a similar purpose. The FAQ link above refers to the vBulletin FAQ, not a hiking FAQ in the more general sense. Keeping it up to date is the challenge, but if someone wants to own it, I can make a sticky post for it.

Tim

Many forums have a FAQ to serve a similar purpose. The FAQ link above refers to the vBulletin FAQ, not a hiking FAQ in the more general sense. Keeping it up to date is the challenge, but if someone wants to own it, I can make a sticky post for it.

Tim
Tim I noticed your avatar pic....I hope you have a license for that fish.Also,does that fish have some sort of insurance?:D

Ownership means you will update / edit the thread when information changes. I don't want to have a stale FAQ or post. This has been the problem in the past (and was the big concern of the community when B The Hiker queried "us" about a hiking wiki.) You will be an editor, mostly, since I expect you can find much of the information already, or people will contribute it, the main effort being organizational.

Yes, Sasha, I have a license to fish (not for that fish specifically, although it was the best Father's Day fish I've ever caught at Lake Sunapee in the 11 years I've celebrated Father's Day--I do wish my son had caught it instead of me) as I have every year since I was 16. Yes, it would benefit me if existing license holders were exempted from SAR fees, but that's a different thread

Tim

AND you'll need a consensus from ALL of us on what exactly what new hikers are capable of hiking, wearing, carrying and comprehending, so good luck with THAT. ;)

Editing isn't the same as consensus. ;) I'm sure for the serious level headed folks there would be some common thoughts.

Do you think it would consulted by many people? I don't. Not enough to justify the work and in spite of the adage...."if it helps one person......"

I bet you can find plenty of good stuff already posted all over the net. You could copy-paste the material, or would that be an infringement of copyright? Linking to it you would have to constantly update dead links.

Most people join a forum to ask a question then get into posting and the community if they feel welcome. If this is something the are directed to when the join they will know about it, Certainly if we see somone posting that is inexperienced we can direct them to the resource.

I'm concerned that we rake over the coals ad nauseum reports of lost and injured so much that it has become obsessive and may not be precieved well by a new member. So lets stop -itching about it so much and redirect that energy to something positive.

With the talent and experience we have on this forum it wouldn"t take long to fill a thread with new posts or moved existing posts and then it could be closed or stickied for occasional update. I'm only suggesting basic safty stuff so people can be better prepared in the begining. There is lots of good things posted all through the forum but a new person isn't going to dig too far in the begining. Once established it wouldn"t be much work.

Are we a a forum of experienced hikers only?

Would this be a positive to help the hiking community?

I think this would make our forum look good/better.

Last edited:
As with the previous suggestion for a wiki, it's probably more work to argue about it than to do it.

While there is lots of useful info all over the Web, I don't think there's a single place that really combines everything that a newbie needs with lots of stuff that a newbie might be looking for.

Note that we have to be clear about what the FAQ is and isn't. We aren't saying "follow these rules and you'll never get charged a rescue fee"; we're saying "here's some things you need to know that you might not have thought about" and "here's some things that worked for us".

To make the proposal a little more concrete, here are some possible chapter headings:

How to Plan

How to Communicate your Plan
When to Change a Plan

Safety and Courtesy when Hiking in a Group

What to Bring

What Not to Bring

Trail Etiquette

First Aid and Rescue

Skills and Resources
navigation skills
where to find maps
peak lists
road closures
weather

----
If I do this myself, I'll have a (search-enginge-friendly :) ) section of questions that newbies frequently ask but that probably indicate they're too focussed on questions they understand rather than trying to appreciate any unknown unknowns. "What's the best brand of shoe for trail X?" "Is this hiking pole better than that one?" I'll have to find a gentle way to answer ...

Last night I happened to notice inbound links to my dayhike equipment list that I posted years ago, from a Meetup discussion group in a big city. I'd write it differently today, but it's interesting to see what I thought was important back then, and people apparently still find it useful.

I changed it to "hikeSafe". You should know, however, that in the browser's title bar / tab title, it is in fact spelled "Hike Safe" (the way I originally put it...) so even they are not internally consistent.

Tim