New Rail Trail coming soon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
Dutchess County, NY is building a rail trail (paved - bummer) thru the middle of the county. They are spending a *LOT* of money, perhaps up to $8,000,000.00! :eek: At first, I thought this was a good idea, but now I'm not so sure. It's starting to sound like the local version of the big dig! :(

Anyway, the article is here:

http://pojonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060713/NEWS01/607130348

See also:

http://www.dutchesscountytrails.com/

At some point, I'll either bike it or walk it, and report back...

That will be one sweet ride! Hopefully there are strategically placed ice cream shops (like the one right on the trail in New Paltz). Personally I can't wait for them to get the trail over the old trestle ... biking that over the Hudson will be quite an experience.

MichaelJ said:
That will be one sweet ride! Hopefully there are strategically placed ice cream shops (like the one right on the trail in New Paltz). Personally I can't wait for them to get the trail over the old trestle ... biking that over the Hudson will be quite an experience.
I agree with the Hudson River part! Do you have a summer house right down the street or what?!?! :D

It would be great if the trail would link up with the Harlem Valley Rail Trail. Ive ridden on that trail many times from Wassaic to Millerton and love it (Im very much looking foward to the expasion of that trail as well). The article doesn't seem to indicate if it will, but from the areas it describes, it doesn't sound to me if its going to link up. I wonder if anyone has raised that idea yet.

I am not sure if they could link up since they are a good ways off from each other. I would have to look at an old map to see where the railroads met up if they did... The southern terminus of the Harlem railtrail is quite a distance from both East Fishkill and Poughkeepsie to try to connect them. What maybe fun though is to come up with a road ride connection between the two.

Like they said in the movie "If you build it they will come."

Yahoo! Big victory in battle against couch-potatoedom. I'm a huge fan of rail trails. Rail Trails bring so much good to so many people. Provides sorely needed opportunities for active recreation to so many who wouldn't otherwise get exercise. Not just hardcore outdoor enthusiasts. I'm hugely dissapointed in my home state of Massachusetts for being so delinquent in building them here. Big showcase trails like this give something for others trying to build trails something wonderful to point to and say "Look how great this one is. Why not build one here?"

Cool! I like that they are also considering building the bridges to avoid road crossings on the busiest roads (i.e. 55). When are they supposed to finish the Harlem Valley one (the missing sections)?

Hopefully there are strategically placed ice cream shops (like the one right on the trail in New Paltz).
I'm not sure exactly where the trail will pass through Hopewell Junction, but there are several ice cream places that might be close enough. :)

Tom Rankin said:
I agree with the Hudson River part! Do you have a summer house right down the street or what?!?! :D

Just a lot of opportunities to be out there visiting. :)

Even with everything I'd read here on Views, when I started seeing the Hudson highlands and areas like the 'Gunks and Minnewaska I had no idea that there was such amazing hiking and biking out there as there is. It may not have the highest summit elevations but the trails and geology are fantastic!

Last edited:
Jazzbo said:
I'm hugely dissapointed in my home state of Massachusetts for being so delinquent in building them here.

We're not lacking in trails, though. Besides the standards of the Norwottuck, Nashua River, Cape, and Minuteman, they're building the Mass Central, I'd never even heard of the Ashuwillticook, a friend commutes on the brand-new Assabet, and there a myriad of little ones all over the place (Manhan and Lower Vine Brook come to mind).

Plus a whole bunch of trails in places like Standish Forest, the Southern New England Trunk Line Trail, Great Brook Farm, and around the Quabbin.

I think it's just slower here because in the eastern part of the state it's so populated and landowners have encroached on the right-of-way, in some cases so long that it's not possible to just make them tear down their garage and back off (which did happen with the reconstruction of the Old Colony Railroad, but they had more clout). Once the ROW is reestablished, things seem to go pretty well.

I will say this, Massachusetts does tend to be a Boston-minded state when it comes to the legislature, thus they focus more on things like bike lanes in urban areas.

MichaelJ said:
Even with everything I'd read here on Views, when I started seeing the Hudson highlands and areas like the 'Gunks and Minnewaska I had no idea that there was such amazing hiking and biking out there as there is. It may not have the highest summit elevations but the trails and geology are fantastic!
Well put! :D