New Trail????

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ADAM12

Reaction score
When ADKDREMN, SDG75, and myself were in the Flowed Lands area 2 weekends ago we noticed a new cut path with blue ribbon markers just past the herdpath to Marshall on the left hand side heading to Lake Colden.

Does anyone know anything of this new blazed trail?

Thanks,
Adam

No, it leads to a new lean-to site to replace the one with the dirt floor!
All new lean-tos are built further away from water and trails.

Hey!

There is nothing wrong with dirt floor leantos!

Oh, on second thought that may be the old fahz in me speaking. At one time, as I recall, dirt floors were pretty much the standard. But they were made homey by amenities such as bough beds that would be regarded as highly criminal in this era.

G.

So, why do they take some out and build others? :confused: Have the location guidelines changed, or is it as Pete might say, 'because they did'? :D

TCD said:
soon, they'll all be 1/2 mile from water.

This is terrible news. My favorite lean to in all the ADKs sits right on the water. The location (right on the point past the dam at Lake Colden when headed towards DEC headquarters) is great. Wonderful views and good breezes. I passed it a couple of weeks ago and still appears to be in good shape. Hopefully it will be there for me to take my son when he gets older.

non-compliant?

I guess the old lean-to's being removed are in non-compliance with the regulations.... Maybe the ranger's outpost should be relocated or removed as well, to adhere to the rules.

hillman1 said:
Some of the ranger outposts have been removed--Duck hole and I'm not certain of but also think Shattuck clearing.

All of the outposts have been removed (burned by DEC) in the Adirondacks except the one on Lake Colden and the one on Johns Brook.

Similair observation

Interesting thread. When I had my infamous failed bushwack attempt on Redfield last May I noticed a line of orange ribbon heading up between Redfield and Skylight from the more upper reaches of the Uphill Brook. On the topo map this is higher than the 'fork' in the stream and a good distance off of any trail (from what i saw). Anyone ever see this? It was in a very thick and isolated area on the mountain side of the stream heading upward.

-Dom

dom15931 said:
Interesting thread. When I had my infamous failed bushwack attempt on Redfield last May I noticed a line of orange ribbon heading up between Redfield and Skylight from the more upper reaches of the Uphill Brook. On the topo map this is higher than the 'fork' in the stream and a good distance off of any trail (from what i saw). Anyone ever see this? It was in a very thick and isolated area on the mountain side of the stream heading upward.

-Dom
It was probably a bushwhacker who did not want to get lost.

Lean-to

We were in the Flowed Lands/Lake Colden area last week. Heading from Flowed Lands toward Colden there is a new lean-to being constructed. It opens up facing Flowed Lands. I think I remember one being there before. It sits close to the water. Further down the trail and to the left the blue markings are evident leading to a newly cut trail - didn't head up the trail so cannot comment on what it leads to.

Hope this helps.

adirondacker said:
We were in the Flowed Lands/Lake Colden area last week. Heading from Flowed Lands toward Colden there is a new lean-to being constructed. It opens up facing Flowed Lands. I think I remember one being there before. It sits close to the water. Further down the trail and to the left the blue markings are evident leading to a newly cut trail - didn't head up the trail so cannot comment on what it leads to.

Hope this helps.

So if the lean-to is the one to the right of the trail facing Flowed Lands I wonder where the blue ribbon trail leads to. Who wants to go?

Slightly off topic (as usual)

That Cold5 photo (half-built leanto) evokes vivid childhood memories of playing/building with those notched toy "Lincoln Logs" ! And (for me) that was the 1960s, before pre-fab plastic infiltrated the product line. I can even remember what they smelled like (uh...dyed wood ?).

Interesting trivia/backstory here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_Logs
Note that the "vintage" (old growth ??) line is now available (for a lot more $$$, presumably).

And of course, we were tough then, and so dint need no steeekning steel-toed boots :)