New White Mountains museum opening Saturday (Feb. 23, 2013)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sardog1

Reaction score
If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
PLYMOUTH, N.H. -
Opening a window to the rugged "White Hills," the Museum of the White Mountains opens for the first time to the public Saturday at noon.

Admission is free.

Landscape paintings by famous 19th-century artists of Franconia Notch, the summit of Mount Washington, the Northern Presidential Range, Conway region and Crawford Notch are the focus of the first exhibition, Passing Through: The Allure of the White Mountains.

Hikers, artists and historians who visit the museum or who review archives online will be able to download global positioning system coordinates for where the paintings were created, many over a century ago.

There will also be opportunities for White Mountain visitors to learn about the art and history of the region as the new museum becomes a repository and teaching facility on the campus of Plymouth State University.

New White Mountains museum opening Saturday

I'm looking forward to seeing this. Saw something similar in Concord many years ago. At that time, no QR codes or positioning information. That's a nice feature.

I would love to see an exhibition that reaches across different mediums (i.e. something that brings together literature, paintings, and photography).

The photography of Brad Washburn and others elicits an equally strong emotional response as that of oil and canvas.

Just a thought.

Z

[Wonder why this is in General Backcountry not New England]

Stopped in today, they have a lot of oil paintings on loan and some old maps including a reproduction of Phillip Carrigain's

Another feature is a compass course that leads you from painting to painting (can anybody find Madison Boulder?)

The video mostly includes shots of stuff on the walls

If you finish a hike early for any reason it's worth a stop on the way back, it's not like some museums where you need a tuxedo to get in