White Mountain Art exhibit in Ogunquit, ME

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarencil

Reaction score
The Ogunquit (ME) Museum of American Art's primary exhibit is currently a room full of paintings of White Mountain scenes. It'll be up until the end of October. The museum is generally open 10-5 (1-5 on Sundays)--for more info, try its website.

It's a couple of miles off of the main drag in Ogunquit (which is packed with tourists during the summer so the going can be very slow)--feel free to post or PM me for directions.

I didn't recognize any of the artists except for Benjamin Champney, for whom, as many of you know, the Champney Falls Trail is named. There were a couple paintings of Chocorua, but all of the featured Champneys are of Washington (as are at least half of the collection.)

To my completely untrained eye, the paintings were very well done but nothing blew me away. For me, it's hard for paintings to match photographs in representing "real life"--my favorite pieces were those were some "artistic license" was taken. I also enjoyed seeing how the valleys looked in the 19th century.

I wouldn't recommend driving a long way just to see this exhibit, but it's well worth it if you're in the area.

--Andrew