News on Marcy Dam area/roads into Keene?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sijesi

Reaction score
Hey, some friends of mine and I are planning a trip to the 'Dacks in early January. I remember how hard Irene hit the Keene Valley region, and I think I remember reading that Marcy Dam sustained some major damage. My crew had been planning to stay at a lean-to in the Marcy Dam area, maybe get a peak from there. Is this still viable (roads/trails passable, lean-tos intact), or should we be looking to camp elsewhere?

Thanks.

The roads are all open at this point, so you should be fine for your drive.

As far as being in the woods, the trails are mostly all open (with 1 or 2 minor trails still being closed that few people use anyways). A lot of bridges went out during the floods, and not all have been replaced yet. In particular, the bridge over Marcy Dam is out. A reroute has been marked below the dam, but if the water is high, crossing the brook could be difficult.

Other than that, things are once again in good shape. A trip into Marcy Dam to camp and climb one or two high peaks is certainly doable at this point, with only minor inconveniences as a result of Irene. Enjoy your trip! :)

Last edited:
The truck trail to Marcy Dam would avoid the newly marked and possibly questionable crossing(due to water/ice level) below the dam.