NH parking area vandalism

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMax

Reaction score
Avatar is on Gannett Peak, Wyoming's high point.
I'm heading to the Whites for the long weekend and may do some backpacking. I haven't seen any posts recently and was just wondering if vandalism on cars at the parking areas (specifically Great Gulf) was still a problem?

I have never experienced any vandalism in the Whites, however, I have heard of such incidents recently. To combat this, I leave my car completely unlocked with nothing of value inside.

It's always going to be a problem to some degree. But as someone pointed out once in the MANY threads on this topic, the majority of hikers who post here on these boards have parked hundreds of times at trailheads with no incidents. Enjoy your hike.

bob

According to the police report in the paper this week (which means it's last week's news or maybe the week before), there were a couple of windows smashed at the Crawford Path parking area. I tend to worry more about those that are a bit more off the beaten path, but I guess no area is immune.

I also leave my car unlocked, with nothing of value in it. Knock on wood...

Since you're going up for a long weekend (Columbus Day) you might be better off since there will be more people in the area. Of course this could work against you as well but I think most vandalism tends to take place in lots that don't have as much traffic and during the week.

Relax and enjoy the hiking.

Not exactly your area but we parked a car at the Rocky Branch Trailhead off of Rte 16 this past sunday-monday. It was the only car in the lot and I was a smidge concerned but everything was fine when we got back.

dentonfabrics said:
It's always going to be a problem to some degree.
How true....
I just had a pair of sunglasses stolen from my pickup in my driveway in the middle of the night. A few other folks in the general vicinity got hit too, and we're in a fairly safe area. The police caught the guy in the act the next night, but not before he sold my shades for his next heroin high. I lock the truck now.

If it's gonna happen, it's gonna happen. Go hike, enjoy yourself, and don't leave anything valuable inside.

Smitty