NH48 Winter Record Attempt 1/16/10 -

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jason came back to the Hancock's TH at 5:20pm on Sunday so his final time became 8 days 11 hrs flat (no minutes since we started at 6:20am on 1/16/10).

Ryan came in the evening before at 11:27pm so that's where the 7 days 17 hrs 7 min derived from.

So I guess that's make the list for those six breaking 11 days in winter so far:

1. Farmer 7:17:07
2. Jason Ferris 8:11:00
3. Tim Seaver 9:20:24
4. Cath Goodwin 9:23:13
5. Stinkyfeet 10:22:37
5. Frodo 10:22:37

This was an amazing and challenging expierience. One that would'nt have been possible without all of support from team shake and bake.Thanks very much to everyone that had a hand in this.(you know who yoou are) Jason, Mats and I seem to mesh perfectly on and off the trail and bring different strengths to the table. For example, when Jason and I decided to take the Kinsman ridge trail over the cannonballs only to discover it was partially broken I knew Jason was feeling weak and i broke trail all the way to kinsman junction hoping to get us to north kinsman on time. this is where we decided that i would go ahead and Jason would skip the Hancocks that night to get rested. for the rest of that day i pushed my physical and mental limits. getting from south kinsman to lafayette place in 1:15. pushing hard on the osceolas and struggling through the Hancocks with Rebecca. The last day i was only able to follow Jasons snowshoe tails in a zombie like trance. He is the strongest hiker i know. Although we did bust out tecumseh in 1:20:D. i'm not sure the last day would have gone so well if he hadn't made the sacrifice to fall back the day before.
What a way to learn about the limits of human endurance. It has opened my eyes to a huge realm of possibilities. especialy in other seasons;)

Caths womens record still stands. Any takers????

Team Shake & Bake - you guys are truly amazing!

Having spent a fair bit of time with the fellas over the past 9 days, I think one thing that really stands out was how ordinary things seemed when they were off the trail (nothing ordinary at all happening on the trail :)). No complaining about aches and pains, physical exhaustion, lack of sleep, each other:rolleyes:. These guys went out day after day and endured more than I can imagine, and I never heard a negative word out of any of them.

The daily show and tell program of broken gear (MSR better have a healthy stash of replacement bindings!) and fresh blisters and other war wounds seemed to be part of the fun of the whole thing instead of a source of frustration or anxiety. I think it was the particular mix of personalities involved...these three guys respect each others' abilities and truly enjoy spending time together. Most importantly, everyone kept their sense of humor throughout. A recipe for success!

Congrats again on a great achievement. I can't imagine ever doing the Osceolas in 2:45 or Tecumseh in 1:20 (etc. etc.)...let alone after doing similar things for 15 hours or so a day for a week straight on very little sleep. It boggles the mind (and makes my legs hurt just thinking about it). Well done!

Rebecca

pb&j anyone????:eek::eek::eek::D

I still have not seen this answered. Do you guys have daily totals?

On the average each day was around 28 miles and 9,000 vertical feet gain so figure 224 miles and 72,000 vertical gain.......this is probably +/- 10 miles and +/-3,000 vertical........haven't had time to figure out exactly......

On the average each day was around 28 miles and 9,000 vertical feet gain so figure 224 miles and 72,000 vertical gain.......this is probably +/- 10 miles and +/-3,000 vertical........haven't had time to figure out exactly......
Thanks.

I figure about 1.2 mph. Clearly room for improvement! :D

Although, I just realized that my pace for 1 hike yesterday was slightly slower! :eek:

The more I think about how difficult this is for anyone that has held the record the more amazing you guys are. Not to geek squad this thread but if you don't take into account traversing or sleep for that matter and just take the total hours divided by 48 peaks Ryan's record averages to 3.9 hours per peak!:confused: Back up to Sue and Frodo and you are still only up to 5.5 hours per peak. I have to have at least 5 hours sleep a day to be functional for a week so sandwich that between 24 hour days and it puts Ryan's at 3.2 hours per peak! Holy Shite you people are incredible!:eek: Considering Mats posting of daily average and me being heavy and out of shape my first day would be a minimum of 20% over booktime and after 22 hours on the trail I'd sleep for a day!;)

So, if you folks come up with a "Mountain Marathon" of sorts will there be age brackets?:rolleyes: I'll still be a spectator because you competitors are always more fun than football playoffs! Winners all of you, in my book!;)

Congrats on an incredible feat!!

It's amazing the mileage you guys did with the speed..:D

Wish I could of joined in on some of it for support..:rolleyes: