No tree cover, 90+ degrees, but #112/115. Saddleback/Horn via Ski Trails and AT.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elhefe007a

Reaction score
6/18/2006

Do you like lots of sun and zero tree cover? Hike Saddleback and The Horn on a 90-95 degree day up the Ski Trails. Thank god for 15 bottles of Gatorade, Powerbars, PB&J and sunblock (Although today it doesn’t look like I put any on).

All in all, it was a beautiful day to hike. I drove to my fathers house Saturday evening in Northern VT. Sunday, at 3AM we drove out too Rangley ME to Saddleback and the Horn, #111 and #112 on my fathers NE 115. A 4.5 hour drive, but the time was passed pretty easily with 6 moose in the road, 3 deer and 1 black bear. Good stuff.

We got to the base lodge parking lot around 8AM, first car in the parking lot, and we were expecting seeing a few people at least on the ski trails. We headed up the slopes (which were in rough shape, even for summer ski slopes), it was pretty obvious this area has had a ton of rain lately. I’m a big snowboarder, and I’ve never been up to Saddleback…I’m curious as to if anyone has and how they like it. (I pretty much live at Jay Peak in the winter time…I think I’m spoiled).

Anyways, we reached the summit of Saddleback, without seeing anyone so far. Had a quick bite to eat, took some pictures and started working our way over to the Horn. The sun was really starting to beat down, and the only woods we had seen all day were the ones we walked into purposely to take a leak.
Coming off of Saddleback was much steeper than I expected from looking at a topomap. But, that has to be one of the most amazing ridge walks I’d ever been on, absolutely fantastic. We summated the Horn, and to our surprise we did not find any people, but to actually see a Deer standing right on the summit marker. Good stuff, not enough time to grab a camera. After recharging for a bit, we headed back over to Saddleback. On the way over, we actually ran into an AT through hiker, who had run into a moose right in the col between the two peaks…no surprise, I had seen 2 of them from the summit of the Horn.
By this time, it was about 12:30, and the sun was really starting to bear down on us. The climb back up Saddleback was that much tougher because of it. We summated, did a final recharge, and headed back down the ski slopes (which were tough going down with how much of a mess they were in general…).

Overall a great day, I’m really surprised as to the lack of people (1?!?). As stated, it was number 111 and 112 for my father on the 115 list. It was number 82 and 83 on his NEHH list. For me, it was #68 and #69 on the 115 list, and #65 and #66 on the NE HH List. Coupled with 8 moose instances, 4 deer and 1 black bear, it was a good day.

Pictures at http://www.forthoseabouttorock.net/climb/NE/saddlehrn/saddlehrn.html

I’m going to add some GPS logs of it later tonight.

Last edited:
Congrats! 3 more to go, where is your dad finishing?

I'm going to be working at the Vermont Brewer's Festival (in Burlington) during the July 20-23 time frame. We're also planning to do some hikes while we're up there. Let me know if you want to get together.

For my dad, two Bigelows and Slide left for the 115...chances are the way scheduling will work, it will be Slide.
For the NEHH at this point, probably Baldpate.

Myself however, planning on finishing on Haystack in the ADK's for 115...

As for VT - I'm right in Burlington. And beer is awsome. Where are planning on climbing?

Last edited:
that is exactly the hike I'd planned this year, it will have to wait 'til next year unfortunately. Glad you enjoyed it -- there are maybe five or six of those spectacular ridges in New England which are in the krummholz (vs. that rockpile felsenmeer crap in the Northern Presis) & this does definitely seem like one of them.

I take it the drive in is fairly easy? (since it is a ski lodge)

elhefe007a said:
Myself however, planning on finishing on Haystack in the ADK's for 115...

I'm sure you've heard, but Haystack is a great peak, you wont be disappointed. Good luck!

elhefe007a said:
For my dad, two Bigelows and Slide left for the 115...chances are the way scheduling will work, it will be Slide.
As for VT - I'm right in Burlington. And beer is awsome. Where are planning on climbing?
Slide: Let me know when and I'll try to be there.

Vermont: My s.o. needs Pico and Killington. Sunday after the festival is the most likely date. PM me and we'll chat...