Noah John Rondeau

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fritz

Reaction score
Just finished De Sormo book. Neat story! Only now, I realized NJR plight with the Conservation Dept

Just wondering if anyone has been at the original location of the "Hermitage"

In the book "On the abandoned site at Cold River, the Conservation Department erected a sign bearing his name" Still there??

fritz

Yup

Rondeau.jpg

The 2nd pic is right on the trail at a small clearing (if I remember right, there is a 90 degree turn there) and the plaque is nearby just above the river. If you hike that section of the NPT, you won't miss it.

Life With Noah buy William Jay OHern is the other book about Noah, And sometime between now and this summer there is going to be another book of his about Noah out.

As Fritz and Tim say, it is on the NPT and there is a major bend in the trail. I think the clearing the trail goes through was part of the Hermitage. I didn't take pictures when I hiked it, but I think it might have been even more than 90 degrees. It's pretty easy to spot and it is a nice space. I think Rondeau picked his space well.

pedxing said:
As Fritz and Tim say, it is on the NPT and there is a major bend in the trail. I think the clearing the trail goes through was part of the Hermitage. I didn't take pictures when I hiked it, but I think it might have been even more than 90 degrees. It's pretty easy to spot and it is a nice space. I think Rondeau picked his space well.
Grace muses about NJR on the 'Good Climbing' CD.

She said that her hiking party forced her to don pants when meeting him, after all he'd been out in the woods a *LONG* time! :eek: :D

Nice timing. I decided just last night to bring my 7 year old on a backpack from LL to LP this summer. Last time I was through the village was around 94 or so - It si a peaceful, beautiful place to hike through.

My conversation with him last night went from discussing Cold River Valley (and "Dad, Power Rangers wouldn't be cold there") to Game Boy DS and Picachu and then finally the fact that NJR isn't the same guy who built an arc. :D

Tom Rankin said:
Grace muses about NJR on the 'Good Climbing' CD.

She said that her hiking party forced her to don pants when meeting him, after all he'd been out in the woods a *LONG* time! :eek: :D

Actually it was her husband Ed Hudowalski, who don pants for her when meeting him.

The swamp at the Cold River/near the hermitage is how the Old Timer, Forty Sixers climbed Couchsachraga. Noah John helped get them across. When we visited the Hermitage back in the early '90's, Grace told us how to get to the swamp, as she wanted us to see.

Grace also used to carry a birthday cake, in her hands, the 14 miles into the Cold River, to Noah John and wouldn't even smudge a rose. She didn't know when his actual birthday was but she'd say, "his birthday was whenever the cake arrived."

Actually Noah John's nephew, lives in Au Sable Forks and we (his nephew and I) worked together for many years.

Last edited:
Thanx for

the great "beta" on NJR
Been hiking Dacks trails since 1974, and just recently started to read some of the history
Looking forward to the new books on the subject.

Question. Can the entire Northville Placid Trail be done on skis? If so, about how long to do at a leasurely pace

Most of the NPT would be a great ski, and in fact the guidebook includes discussion of winter use. The ridge north of Tirrell Pond might be a bit if a challenge, but OK with skins.

(Tim, it must have been on a recon trip that you saw that plaque; the last time you went through there, you were going so fast it must have been just a blur!)

TCD

fritz said:
Just finished De Sormo book. Neat story! Only now, I realized NJR plight with the Conservation Dept

Just wondering if anyone has been at the original location of the "Hermitage"

In the book "On the abandoned site at Cold River, the Conservation Department erected a sign bearing his name" Still there??

fritz
Good read!
I read that book a few years ago.
I was also wonering about camping on or near the hermitage, and wacking up Couchsachraga.
Anybody done it?

I haven't done Couch from there, but a lot of people have. From what I've read, results vary. :)

Camp at Miller's Falls Leanto, right nearby. Just gorgeous; the nicest place on the Cold River, and it may be the nicest place on the NPT.

TCD