Non-hiking deathmarches

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the winter... when XC ski conditions are perfect. I walk out my front door, walk to the corner, then start on a 100 mile XC ski loop in Gatineau Park. I only do it when I'm in shape. Although it is not all that hilly (probably less than 5K climbing) it is long.

A buddy of mine biked 11,000+ miles to see a game at every MLB park in '04. No support team was involved, just a guy and his bike. The next year, we hiked from Lil Haystack to Madison, which he said was harder. I don't believe that, but he did say it. Apparently, neither was a death march, as we're still getting out there.

Driving from western Nebraska to Vermont "nonstop" in a little over 30 hours. Now that was epic...
Okay, I have to ask. Why were you in western Nebraska? (I'm guessing for the high point. I grew up in that area so your post caught my eye).

Well, the trail runners equivalent of a Devil's Path Traverse. Apparently, its a trail race. For comparison, when we did the one day traverse last spring, it took us about 11.5 hours on average. I understand those who run it complete it in about 8. Tough course to run!

Does a particular group run it as an organized event? That is a nice technical course.
I have hiked it summer and winter both ways and while training for Rainier we BACKPACKED it both ways over a weekend - to this day the toughest thing I have ever done. Started out on Prediger Road on a Friday night, camped along the way, hiked the rest of the way to the western end on Sat., camped Sat. night and came the whole way back on Sunday, back to the car at 7pm. On a chilly wet June weekend. Summitting Rainier was a walk in the park in comparison.

I think the PBP is probably the ultimate cycling deathmarch, and randonnées in general. Calling long-distance touring a cycling deathmarch is like calling thru-hiking a deathmarch. Not really the same.

If you live in California, there are lots of ultra biking events if you're so inclined. Many of them are 200+ miles, and are in the 10-20,000K' elevation gain. If you participate in any 3 during a calendar year sponsored by Planet Ultra you get to wear a spiffy jersey (California Triple Crown); any 4 "earns" a higher level T. Some hardcore types do them all each year.

The events sponsored by Planet Ultra go through some pretty spectacular terrain. They're not races per se; rather, you have to complete them during a specific time period in order to qualify for a "completed event".

Okay, I have to ask. Why were you in western Nebraska? (I'm guessing for the high point. I grew up in that area so your post caught my eye).

Good guess -- I made the grueling ascent of Panorama Point after spending a month goofing off in Colorado in '05. Nice country.

I do know a few folks who have done the run around Mt. Blanc. They all raved about it, obviously.

My worst would have to be a combined hike/drive.

Woke up at 10PM.
Started the drive to Zealand Notch at around 11.
Arrived around 4:30AM.
Proceeded to do Zealand > Bondcliff traverse and back again.
Arrived back at my car just before the sun went down, picked up some food on 302, and started the drive back to CT.
I got home after midnight and was in bed a little before 2.

That was a very long 28 hour day.
And I'd do it again in a heartbeat. :p

My wife stopped going on day trips with me when she realized that day trips meant 24 hour day trips.

The double-deca triathlon comes to mind.....In 1998 in Monterrey, Mexico a Double Deca Ironman Triathlon was held, (that's 20x a regular ironman), and Vidmantas Urbonas of Lithuania finished the race in only 437 hours 21 minutes and 40 seconds.

Vidmantas Urbonas covered 76 kilometers by swimming, 3,600 kilometers on a bike and 844 kilometers in his running shoes.

Also the "Great Bunion Derby" which was held in 1928 and 1929 was an unreal event. 275 runners lined up to run from LA to New York running about 45 miles a day for 75 days..........just imagine the shoes they ran in:eek:

here you can read more about the 3,422-mile foot-race: http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=9386&PageNum=1

The Zealand/Bonds Traverse did it for me this past winter. 23 mile hike. Wonder what's it's like to do in the summer? I guess a bit shorter since you don't have to do the Zealand road.

In the rock climbing category, my deathmarches have involved long approaches to Grade III climbs. Climbs like the South Face of the Petit Grepon.

Good guess -- I made the grueling ascent of Panorama Point after spending a month goofing off in Colorado in '05. Nice country.
Well, at least you did all the easier hiking in CO first so you were in shape for the tough climb up Panorama Point. :D

Perhaps we can reclassify drive/hike/drive as some new weird form of triathalon...

That would be a duathlon. (first thing, second thing, first thing again)
An equivalent triathlon would be boat/drive/hike, I think.

Next weekend, I'll do an event that involves sawing, log rolling, fly casting, chopping and then beer drinking. I call it a pentathlon.

When I backpacked around Mt. Blanc last summer, many folks were out on the trail practicing for the TMB Ultra that was the following week. That's insane...

I find the most interesting part of this thread that we each have our own ideas about what's "a lot" and that's cool. I bike a lot and plan to do several centuries+ this year but then I have friends who will ride from Bangor, ME to Burlington, VT in a day.

Next weekend, I'll do an event that involves sawing, log rolling, fly casting, chopping and then beer drinking. I call it a pentathlon.
You forgot the tobacco chewing. Looks like I'm going to miss it again this time, please send my regards to Lucky Pierre.