North and South Hancock on 7/31

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickbrusil

Reaction score
My hiking partner and I camped out along tripoli road saturday night and were well rested for the fairly long haul over both Hancocks the next day.
(much thanks goes out to the kind gentleman who saw us searching our car for the final dollar fifty to obtain a camping spot and out of the goodness of his heart gave us 2 bucks)

The walk from the hairpin turn along the Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, and Hancock Loop trail was very easy and peaceful as it felt as if we were the only ones in this corner of the whites. Then a daunting climb up 1250 feet in .7 miles to the summit of North Hancock. I slowed down my pace dramatically on this section as it seemed every foot forward was two feet of ascent. There was no scrambling but it appeared some heavy duty trail work was been done about a third of a mile from the summit and the trail became filled with tons of loose rock and gravel (it seemed even more loose than the south tri slide and flume slide SO BE CAREFUL). This made the last part of the ascent hard and tough but well worth the view from the outlook on North Hancock.

I was dreading the decent down south hancock - 1000 feet in .5 miles - but after a quick jaunt to the summit a look out the fine viewpoint and we began the trip down. It was great footing when compared to the North Hancock side and there were many trees placed in fine spots to hold as one is going down. It seemed like we jumped down becuase in no time we reached the junction of the loop trail and headed back for the car.

We had kept slightly ahead of book time to the base of North Hancock but by the time we reached the car the clock showed 1 hour and 45 minutes over book time - I suppose our breaks that we enjoyed so much along the cedar brook trail did us in. None the less it was a succesful hike and a great day.

PS

there was a sign going up North Hancock that said to call and let the crew know you are coming monday thru friday as serioius injury or death could occur from high tension work (I wish I could remember exactly what it said) but there was no number to call however it was an official posting from the USFS. I'm not sure what to make of it but a heads up to anyone planing on hiking this route during the week

I saw the same sign. I believe it refers to a high tension cable and pulley system used to move rocks along the trail. The trail workers want you to call (yell, not telephone) up to them so they know you are coming, and they can make sure it's safe for you to get through without having a rock dropped on you.