North Conway - More Than Just a Pretty Place to Shop (Middle & Peaked Mtn: 06-Jan-09)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1HappyHiker

Reaction score
North Conway - More Than Just a Pretty Place to Shop (Middle & Peaked Mtn: 06-Jan-09)

If perhaps you need a break from peakbagging your winter 4K’s (or other lists), then you might want to head to North Conway to hike Middle Mountain (1,857 ft) & Peaked Mountain (1,793 ft). Both are located within the Green Hills Preserve which is practically within walking distance of downtown North Conway.

What these little mountains lack in altitude, they make up for in attitude! Starting at the trailhead on Thompson Road (530 ft), the 5.4 mile loop of both summits provides a 1,750 ft elevation gain. A pretty respectable work-out!

And although these mountains are little, they provide big views from various locations on and near their summits.

All the photos below were taken on the date of this trip (06-Jan-2009) with the exception of the view toward the Presidentials. Since those guys were pretty much socked in today, I inserted the one photo below which was taken when I did this same hike last year. (Hey, I didn’t want to do an injustice to these little mountains by failing to show ALL that they have to offer!:))

PRESIDENTIAL VIEW
Presidential%20View.JPG

Regarding the 2 photos below, the one on the left features the Moats in the foreground. The one on the right is similar but is looking a bit more northwesterly and shows Mt. Carrigain & surrounding mountains in the background on the horizon.
100_0674.JPG
100_0677.JPG

The photo below features Mt. Chocorua, but many other peaks such as Mts. Passaconaway, Paugus, etc can also be seen. And as you’ll recall, Forestgnome was in the Mt. Paugus area the same day as this report. So, if you look very closely at Mt. Paugus, you might see Forestgnome taking photos.:D
100_0678.JPG

The next 2 photos are looking eastward into Maine. The one on the left features Pleasant Mountain, and the one on the right simply depicts the rolling terrain of western Maine.
100_0684.JPG
100_0691.JPG

Finally here are the last 2 photos. The photo on the left shows a couple of the brand-new signs in this trail system. Nice!
And the photo on the right shows my hiking partner Steve admiring the views toward the end of another great day in the Whites!
100_0672.JPG
100_0687.JPG

BOTTOM LINE TO ALL THIS: Sometimes big things come in small packages.

1HappyHiker

Last edited:
Great trip report, John! The Green Hills are great - between Middle, Peaked, and Black Cap, there are some excellent vistas.

Nice photos,great place. Glad you had fun. A word to the wise. You may want to avoid the Thompson Road TrailHead and park on Artiist Falls Road at the Pudding Pond entrance. The Thompson Road Trailhead is within a private developement and the folks that live there don't take kindly to out of state vehicules and/or in state...especially in Winter when things are narrow and potential for plowing and sanding could occur.

When the Presis are socked in, the the Green Hills are many times clear as a bell!

We were so pleased the last time we were there, we sent a contribution to the Nature Conservancy for trail maintenance.

The Nature Conservancy has a good trail map covering all three peaks and the web of trails among them - in the past, free copies have been in stock at trailhead kiosks. Black Cap has the nicest views by far of the three (it is in Scudder's View Guide), although it is some distance from Middle and Peaked, so don't miss it if you haven't been there. It is also has a big parking area off Hurricane Mtn. Road (but closed in Winter), to address the issues skiguy mentions.

Excellent! Thanks for posting. After being wowed by my first hike to the Moats this past fall, I'm interested in checking out these nearby peaks.

Nice photos,great place. Glad you had fun. A word to the wise. You may want to avoid the Thompson Road TrailHead and park on Artiist Falls Road at the Pudding Pond entrance. The Thompson Road Trailhead is within a private developement and the folks that live there don't take kindly to out of state vehicules and/or in state...especially in Winter when things are narrow and potential for plowing and sanding could occur.
Hey Skiguy, thanks for the reply. I’m wondering if possibly you’re thinking about the area at the UPPER END of Thompson Road (at a cul-de-sac area) rather than the area much further down on Thompson Road (at the power lines)??

I spoke with a person at the Mount Washington Valley Field Office for the Nature Conservancy this morning and was told that it’s fine to park at the trailhead lot which is located on the right hand side (south side) of Thompson Road just about 0.3 mile after turning onto Thompson Road from Artist Falls Road.

Further regarding the UPPER END of Thompson Road, parking is definitely forbidden at this former trailhead. But an old section of trail still remains there, and hikers who so choose can access it by walking 0.6 mile up Thompson Road from the current-day trailhead parking at the lower end of Thompson Road.

That would be correct. Thanks for the clarification. The Upper End of Thompson Road was what I was speaking of being a "No No". Thanks for the clarification between what is actually Thompson and Artist Falls Roads.

I did this hike as part of a birthday 3 pack with Black Cap and the Doubleheads. I parked at Pudding Pond lot but was disappointed to find the pond didn't actually contain pudding.
I accidentally went off the hiking trail onto a bike trail at one point, but just went with it and found my way through a series of bike trails, snowmobile trails, abandoned trails, herd paths, and unknown trails to find the ridge and headed north to Middle Mtn. There are a ton of different trails south of Middle Mtn that I want go back and explore.