North Conway's Too Close, Hundred Mile's too far

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

--M.

Reaction score
Maybe someone can help me understand...

Why I don't want to hike Washington, but won't go find any of a hundred decent places worth hiking in the Northeast Kingdom?

I seem to seek solitude, but don't want to be entirely cut off at Hudson Bay.

Maybe it's time to stretch the balloon and get into Maine.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else feels this paradox....

--M.

I've found the Evans Notch area to be fairly quiet. Stay north of Blue Brook on the west side. The Caribou-Speckled area (east side) should be pretty quiet.

Of course, you could always bushwack too.

Doug

Thanks for the good tips...

Yeah, this issue is how I found the Wild River in the first place.

And I will stretch the envelope and these are good tips.

I just found myself wondering why I wanted to be away from the crowds next weekend but not to the point of going to Timbuktu. It seems odd.

And then using the periphery (Evans Notch, the north country, western Maine) seems to address this okay.

Thanks again.

If you are lucky enough to be able to hike during the week that will also reduce crowds. I've summited all the peaks without a soul in sight for all my weekday hikes in the month of September including Liberty and Flume this week - awesome peaks to get alone. Even Carrigain was pretty much a solitary hike - bumped into a couple guys on the way up, but was alone for all my time at the summit and the rest of the hike. I haven't needed to make an effort to go super early to avoid the lunchtime crowds either. May be I've just been lucky (Bonds alone in the summer months, but probably cos it was forcasted to rain later that day). If you are tied down to work on weekdays take a mental health day.

At the risk of looking gift horses in the mouths...

First, I again thank everyone for their kind and helpful responses. Many good tips.

[Extra white space]

[New paragraph]
But that was only half of my point. What I was actually trying to convey was the dichotomy of wanting to be 'away' from the madding crowds, but not wanting to be so alone as to feel cut off.

Apparently, I was either so obtuse that this point was lost, or it is not really an issue for others. D'oh.

[Extra white space]

[New paragraph]
But I again thank everyone for the input!

See ya. ;)

I found that I could get to the Dacks (Keene Valley) in a little over 4 hours from Newton, MA. It takes me at least six hours to get to the 100 mile wilderness. Guess which one I spend more time at. Go figure.

I lived in California long enough to really appreciate the opportunities that are there if you expand your driving radius by a couple hours. It's worth it, especially after you get the peakbagging lists out of your system.