North Kinsman - Lonesome Lake Trail to Fishing Jimmy to Kinsman Ridge - 12/28

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roy Boy

Reaction score
Trail to the hut is fine, and is easily barebooted. We put on microspikes at the hut. Fishing Jimmy had a couple of inches of snow over ice. The descents of the PUDs had a couple of steep, icy spots that were challenging. The climb up to Kinsman Ridge was icy in the steep areas, and challenging with microspikes. A few of us switched over to crampons, but we all had some technical difficulties and ended up back in microspikes. The steep areas of Kinsman Ridge were challenging, but doable, in microspikes. Same goes for the descent (or ascent of the PUDS).

Trail Conditions: Light snow over ice.

We did it, as did most people we saw, with microspikes; but it wasn't easy and the going was slow. If I did it again tomorrow, I'd plan on at least my 6 point crampons.

Comments: We planned to hike over to South Kinsman, and started over there once we summited North. The 70 yard drop just off the North summit was an icy chute, and we turned around. Even if we made it down, we were unsure of getting back up. And we were running late at that point. Overall a nice day to be out in the woods.