North Moat Mountain?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrAmeche

Reaction score
So my fiance wants to go hiking in the Whites before the cold sets in, and since she hasn't been at all this year, naturally I'd like the trip to be a good one. Last year we did Welch-Dickey, and while she enjoyed it, the exposure was a little too much for her on those rock slabs.

For some reason, North Moat jumped out at me, via the Moat Mountain and Red Ridge trails. Has anyone done this loop? How are the views? Are there any difficult scrambles on the trail?

Dr. Wu, I vaguely remember a post from you some time ago regarding the Moats... any help would be appreciated!

Moats

This one is on my radar too...but from what I have read and heard from others it is a lot more exposed than the elevation would lead you to beleive...a great hike, but lots of exposure (and views!!)

MrAmeche said:
So my fiance wants to go hiking in the Whites before the cold sets in, and since she hasn't been at all this year, naturally I'd like the trip to be a good one. Last year we did Welch-Dickey, and while she enjoyed it, the exposure was a little too much for her on those rock slabs.

For some reason, North Moat jumped out at me, via the Moat Mountain and Red Ridge trails. Has anyone done this loop? How are the views? Are there any difficult scrambles on the trail?

Dr. Wu, I vaguely remember a post from you some time ago regarding the Moats... any help would be appreciated!
The Moats are fairly open and exposed. North Moat is ledgy on the way up and completely open at the top. The summit area is large and the views are among the most spectacular in the whites imo. I didn't count the # of 4000'ers you could see but it must be over 1000.

The Moat Mountain Trail is not too steep but I recall Red Ridge being fairly steep and exposed on the way down! It was amazing but I guess if you don't like exposure this might not be the trail for you.

Oops, I never wrote a TR for that hike. Good Luck.

-Dr. Wu

May I suggest South Moat as a better alternative?

The Moats are a great choice! Especially this time of year. The lower elevation and easy approach will lend well to soaking in the foliage. Also the exposure is not terribly steep up top and has sweeping views in all directions. (Its a cool place to kinda piece together all the familiar ranges from the Whites.
I also highly recommend Red Ridge if youre deciding on a loop. Topping off above the ledges (at a safe distance) above Echo Lake is memorable.

The hike you are considering is one of my favorites. Nothing really difficult or scary. Spectacular views from N. Moat and Red Ridge. Ledges in this area can be slippery when wet, kind of like the Kinsman Ridge Trail going up Cannon Mt. from the ski area. It's easy to lose the trail on the lower part of the Red Ridge Trail.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses, everyone! So the Red Ridge trail is better for ascent rather than descent?

carole said:
May I suggest South Moat as a better alternative?

Carole, any particular reason why you'd recommend South Moat over North Moat? My fiance is a big fan of loop routes, which South Moat doesn't offer, but if it's worth it, we'll certainly consider it.

Here's a trip report with some good photos of the ledges. Nothing as steep as Welch-Dickey, but they could be a bit slick in wet weather.

-dave-

MrAmeche: I made my suggestion based on your comment.

MrAmeche said:

The fact that she hasn't been hiking all this year and was uncomfortable with the slabs on Welch-Dickey and you suggested N.Moat. The Moats are definitely a great hike to either or all. I suggested South Moat as it is a shorter hike, nice variety, no real exposure feeling and excellant view. If you were up to it continue to Middle Moat. But you are correct it is not a loop unless you spot cars and do an end to end. South Moat never disappoints me!!

Red Ridge - Better to descend

I've done the No. Moat-Red Ridge Loop a few times including this summer. I prefer going up No. Moat and down Red Ridge because the latter has long open ledges that aren't too steep. If you go up it you'll miss the best views unless you keep turning around. If it's wet I'd choose another hike altogether. Also, that loop is fairly long - at least ten miles - and cumulatively tiring - no really difficult stretches, but when I've done it a fair amount of muddy or rough up-and-down trails before and after the summit ledges.

I just did the Moats from the south. Nothing scary or exposed. There are some slabs before S Moat--easy, but a little tiring on the way down. There are some short steepish slabs on the N side of M Moat, but no problem. Also a few short steep sections of rocks just S of N Moat, but easy.

The slabs shouldn't be any problem if they are dry. A few spots could be somewhat "interesting" if wet.

About 10 mi and 3000 vert ft.

Nice views from all 3 summits and from various slabs.

Haven't done it from the N, but it sounds nice from either direction.

Doug

DougPaul said:
I just did the Moats from the south. Nothing scary or exposed. There are some slabs before S Moat--easy, but a little tiring on the way down. There are some short steepish slabs on the N side of M Moat, but no problem. Also a few short steep sections of rocks just S of N Moat, but easy.

The slabs shouldn't be any problem if they are dry. A few spots could be somewhat "interesting" if wet.
Doug
Definitely wait for dry conditions because the ledges and scrambles on either North Moat or Red Ridge would require extra care if wet, particularly for someone a little shy of exposures. We did this loop at the end of May; Lucy Brook crossings were a little tricky if you wanted to stay dry, but not dangerous. It was mud, mud, mud on the lower half of Red Ridge - things are considerably drier now but water/mud may be a consideration if rainfall is significant this weekend.

In the same area alternatives with open ledges and outstanding views but slightly less exposure might be Kearsarge North or Mt Crawford, although neither is a loop. I recall that both of these are around 3 miles (one way). Could combine Crawford with a trip to Resolution/Stairs for a longer hike.

Have a great fall hike!