North Twin Slide 7.19.09 (via North Slide)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniper

Reaction score
Participants: Stev-O, MtnPa, Juniper

This hike was something that Stev-O had been wanting to do for a long time. He had a picture of the slide taken from Peak Above the Nubble and some info from a TR by Craig from last summer. I was in NH with no hiking plans and was very excited to join the adventure.

We headed out on the North Twin trail about 9:30. Just across the first crossing of the Little River we headed into the woods in a NW direction. After a straightforward walk in fairly open woods we came to a section of an old logging road running north-south. At this point we weren't certain whether we were north or south of the drainage we were seeking that would lead us to the base of the slide. We headed north for a while following a very well-defined herd path. This was definitely bear territory - berries galore and scat here and there. We went about three tenths of a mile and realized that we needed to turn around.

We backtracked to where we started on the road and continued north, still following a clear track. When we hit the first serious stream we figured we had found the drainage we were seeking. We headed back into the woods heading west and keeping the sound of water within earshot. The going was not difficult, but not as open as described in last summer's TR. Our goal was to start looking for the bottom of the slide at about 2600'. After bushwhacking for quite a while, we angled slightly north and started seeing flagging and other signs of traffic in the area (probably people heading for PAtN??). The going was much easier through this section, almost like hiking on a trail. Somewhere between 2600 or 2700' we cut towards the stream and discovered to our delight that we had hit the very bottom of the slide!

We dropped into the rocky bottom of the slide and began the long approach. The boulders in this area were bright red in color and very cool. There was water running here and there. It was easy rock hopping up to the point where we hit the wet slabby bottom section of the ascent. The spur slide off to the left that Craig also climbed last summer was shimmering with wetness and terrifying! We had a snack break and began our climb.

The slabs were pretty wet, so we focused on finding a dry route up. Ominous clouds kept lingering above us, and we were nervous about how dodgy our situation could become if it started to rain before we got above the slabs. We reached some chunky ledges that were almost more difficult than the slabs because of the shortage of secure hand and foot holds. After a while of careful climbing we reached the more scree-y (that a word?) upper section of the slide. We had to be careful to stay clear of each other as we made our way up the loose rocky slope.

At last we were at the top of the slide with fantastic views to the north and east. After a quick snack and beer break, we put on long pants and glasses and headed into the bush in a southeasterly direction. The going was not as bad as any of us expected. The biggest danger was postholing into the deep layers of rotting blowdown below a plush layer of moss. We slowly made our way and finally emerged right at the viewpoint on North Twin. There were no visitors there to surprise, so we had the place to ourselves. After a short break we headed down the N. Twin trail and back to the cars.

A fantastic day out. Many thanks to my companions for having me along for the adventure!

pics here: N. Twin Slide

Last edited:
North Slide!

What are the odds that there would be two TRs at the same time about slide climbs on North Twin??! Just to be clear, this TR is about the North Slide. Will try to have the title changed.

Nicely done guys.
Sounds like you have fun despite the wet conditions. I’m surprised at how long the drainage stays clear. It looks like it has a nice open feel.

The spur slide off to the left that Craig also climbed last summer was shimmering with wetness and terrifying! We had a snack break and began our climb.

Next trip, go in dryer conditions so you can climb the spur slide. That baby is a STEEP open slab that I had to climb “Pieds a Plat” with approach shoes. I little hairy. :)

The slide looked fairly intimidating from PAtN, especially the wet. Didn't see you on it...you might have been back in the trees by then, as we summited at 12:30 after serious spruce difficulties.

Cool hike, I have pics of that slide and have been wanting to check it out also...

Great TR & pics!! :D

I get a call from Stev-O who heard a rumor that I may be interested in hiking the following day. Says he took a picture of this slide from PatN that looked cool. He wants to go try to find it. Curiosity won out over good sense, so we had a plan.

Fortunately the rain never materialized. The woods around the slide looked very thick. Some highlights: long sections of wet slab with narrow dry sections barely wider than a boot. The wet slab was as slick as ice. Large embedded rocks crumbling in my hand as I tried to pull myself up, and my favorite; couch-size boulders teetering and sliding down as I stepped on them. Not for the faint of heart.

:cool: Great plan Stev-O! You guys displayed far more humor than the situation dictated :cool:

Thanks for the report and photos. This must be the slide that is so visible as a white swath when driving south on Rt. 115 towards Twin Mountain in winter and spring; has been on my back-country ski 'to do' list for years; has anyone skied it?

Here is a view of the slide from PATN.

Yes, the slide is quite visible, especially, after you take a left on rt. 3 off of 115 into twin mountain.

In the 2nd photo, I wanted to take this dry patch up however there was a 6 ft. jump to the next patch of dry. I played it safe and went around.
It would of been one hell of a ride though.

Great to have some company, as I didn't really want to do this one alone.