Northern Forest camping with kids?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weatherman

Reaction score
South Metro Denver Avatar: Basin Ponds Bullwinkl
Hey- having fallen in love with hiking in and around the Northern Forest areas the last few years, I'm interested in introducing it to my 5 and 7 year old kids. I have a significant even-numbered milestone (yeah, big number birthday) coming up later this summer, and my wife has offered that we all might go camping for a long weekend, anywhere I want, except that it has to have hot running water close at hand. Basically, I want my kids to be able to hear loons at night from our tentsite and have a decent shot at some near-moose experiences, and get away from things electronic. I'm thinking Northern VT (Maidstone?), Northern NH (not sure where exactly) or Maine somewhere south of Baxter but north of most civilization. Any suggestions welcome. I think the kids are not quite up to backpacking yet, so car camping or a short walk in is good.

Thanks in advance!
Weatherman

Hey Weatherman,

Sounds like a good plan!

I recently stayed at a wicked nice northern forest campground in Maine, right on the NFCT and just off the AT. I was run by the state, was totally free, had short-walk-in from car campsites right on a large lake, plenty of mose signs, and was it lousy with loons. It had everything you want except hot water.

In Maine, Cathedral Pines on the North Branch of the Dead is pretty nice, and there are 3 tent sites right on the lake (I believe I remember #67, 69, and 70). I have seen and heard loons there on every visit. The "rules" there aren't too bad, but don't try to ride your bicycle around after dark. I have stayed at Rangeley Lake State Park, and I think that would suit your needs too. There is a Blue Mt State Park CG that I think has hot showers too.

Most of the Vermont State Parks have full shower facilities I believe. You might look at Brighton, just east of Island Pond (and on the NFCT). It's very nice there, and I'd be surprised if they don't have resident loons. I know where Maidstone SP is, but have never checked it out.

Does that give you some leads?

Last edited:
One of my favorites is Mountain Pond. In Lower Bartlet by the visitor/viewing area on 16 take a right onto Town Hall Rd and keep going for awhile. (you can find it on th elarger maps of the Whites) the pond is a mile in from the trailhead. The trail passes some marshy area full of frogs. there is a brook crossing if you take the south trail of the loop. There are moose, loons, N pike, warblers, many types of owls and a blaock crowned night heron that cuold quak all night long. There are areas for camping as well as a cabin on the north shore. The right time of year the bushes are heavey with blueberries. I have spend a lot of time here with my son.

Word of warning. Because it is easy to get to to, many people portage canoes for day trips and there can be some yahoos making noise and trashing the place. There have been a few occassion when I hiked out with bags of extra garbage.

Tramper Al said:
In Maine, Cathedral Pines on the North Branch of the Dead is pretty nice, and there are 3 tent sites right on the lake (I believe I remember #67, 69, and 70). I have seen and heard loons there on every visit.

A second vote for Cathedral Pines. We saw eagles there, fifteen years ago when one didn't see them all that often in the NE. There are some sites remoter than others. Good hiking nearby in the Bigelows.

I highly recommend Vermont's state parks for camping. My favorite so far has been Gifford Woods State Park, which is close to Killington if you want a good day-hike.

http://www.vtstateparks.com/htm/gifford.cfm

The state parks have running water (no pumping) and hot showers for $0.25 for 5 minutes. Totally worth it after a hard day. Bring lots of quarters.

There are lots of other parks througout the state, so you just have to explore the link a little bit to find one that suits you.

-percious

weatherman said:
Looks like we'll be giving Cathedral Pines a call . . .
Have fun, Chris, and don't forget to check out the historical plaque at riverside just as you pull off the Rt 27 at the campground. It's all about the Arnold Expedition and how this officer from Worcester called Bigelow volunteered to bushwhack up the nearby peaks to see if he could see Quebec. You can't get enough history, right?