Northern Presis - Aug 28 to 30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac

Reaction score
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail
Aug. 28: Arrived at Lowe's store at 4 PM (after 10 hour drive). Provided amusement for proprietor as I purchased supplies and loaded my pack. My climb began at 4:30 (Lowe's Path) with the Log Cabin as my target, and perhaps Grey Knob if I felt able. I reached the Log Cabin at about 6:15 and after re-hydrating and some snacks, felt that I should reach Grey Knob cabin well before dark. The very nice family staying at the Log Cabin (thanks for chasing me with my map/book) did say that the next stretch of trail was steeper than what I had encountered so far (they weren't kidding). I arrived at Grey Knob cabin just around sunset after enjoying a beautiful view from the Quay (as I massaged my cramped calves :eek: ). I ate my evening meal and chatted with the caretaker (Leslie) who arrived around 8:30. Slept like a baby. Temperatures were in the 80s at the base with nighttime lows in the 40s at the cabin.

Aug. 29: Awoke to MW higher summits weather forecast. It sounded like a great day so, after breakfast and some discussion with the caretaker, decided to attempt Madison, Adams and Jefferson. Took Lowe's and Gulfside to Madison Hut, topped up my water, climbed Madison and returned to Madison Hut for soup and more water (11:30 AM). Met Steve and two gals who were bagging their 32nd and 27th summits (I think) respectively. Took Star Lake trail to summit of Adams, then down to T-Storm Junction bypass, Gulfside (met a hiker attired in a kilt), Edmands Col and Jefferson Loop to the summit of Jefferson. Descended to Edmands Col accompanied by a family on a day hike, then took Randolph Path, Perch trail to the Perch, Grey Knob trail to Grey Knob cabin (5 PM). Checked out Crag Camp, returned to Grey Knob cabin, ate and rehydrated, chatted with the caretaker and had another great sleep. Temperatures were in the low 70s at treeline and low 60s at the summits. Nighttime lows at the cabin were in the 50s. Visibility was practically unlimited with early winds becoming light and some haze in the afternoon.

Aug 30: MW higher summits forecast warned of thunderstorms after noon, so I ate quickly and began my descent around 7:30 AM (Lowe's path, again). I arrived at Lowe's store at around 10, bought some water and began my drive home. I arrived in Truro, Nova Scotia at 8:30 PM, Atlantic time and once again slept wonderfully.

I'd never hiked the northern presidentials and I enjoyed the perfect weather conditions which allowed me to fully appreciate the beautiful scenery of the region. The Randolph Mountain Club should be commended on their facilities and staff.