Northville Placid Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavis

Reaction score
Thinking about through hiking this in a couple of weeks, but I have a few questions.

1) I guess there is about a ten mile section right at the start in Northville near route 30 where you hike on a road. I think I read that this section is not required for the patch. Is that true?

2) If replenishment is necessary (food) are there any areas where this can be done with a credit card near the trail?

3) Anybody know where a car can be parked for a week or so near Northville?

4) Is there any form of mass transit that I can use to get back to my car from Lake Placid?

I guess that's about it. If anyone has any useful tips I'd be interested in those also.

Thanks
Mike

mdavis said:
1) I guess there is about a ten mile section right at the start in Northville near route 30 where you hike on a road. I think I read that this section is not required for the patch. Is that true?
True. Not required.

mdavis said:

A couple years ago when I did it, there was a house that allowed parking on its lawn (IMO, a bit safer than the trailhead parking several hundred yards down the road) They asked for something like a dollar a day. This was, not in Northville, but where the trail starts going into the woods.

mdavis said:

2) If replenishment is necessary (food) are there any areas where this can be done with a credit card near the trail?

4) Is there any form of mass transit that I can use to get back to my car from Lake Placid?

I guess that's about it. If anyone has any useful tips I'd be interested in those also.

Thanks
Mike

1. YES

2. There is a SMALL store that sells VERY limited stuff in Piseco, I think they accept credit cards but I would send a mail drop to the PO since you have to walk by it anyway. The Lake Durant Campground has a small store as well I believe, give them a call. Everyplace in Long Lake (2-3 miles away from the trail) takes credit cards.

3. I got dropped off and picked up so I cannot comment but I think Pete is right about the private lawn thing

4. You could post a request for a shuttle from a VFTT member . . . has been done in the past by someone here, I would have helped if I still lived in NY

If you have anymore specific questions I'd be happy to answer them. Have fun . . . it is a GREAT trail.

sli74

Mike,
If you are interested, I have a Spreadsheet breakdown of the trail mileage from point to point that might be helpful for planning. I can also send a copy of the Boomhower article, Death on the NLP - About a hiker that got lost. Helpful for planning your trip.
cheers
Rick