Novice Snowshoers Are Introduced to a Grand Sport

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edelweiss

Reaction score
On Saturday, Feb. 7, Alan (Peakbagr) invited me to join him on a short walk in Thacher Park to introduce 15 enthusiastic Capital District residents from the Bethlehem YMCA to the winter sport of snowshoeing. We met in the Paint Mine parking lot. I arrived just as everyone was gathering, putting on their mostly rented snow shoes and making introductions. Bookah bound up to me for her usual “hello, how are ya” hug and then made the rounds of the other members of the group. Alan had previously met with interested members at the “Y” to go over clothing and equipment options for winter activities. We began our walk on a broad snowmobile track which is part of the Long Trail. Alan gave each person the opportunity to break trail by leading them on a short “bushwhack” off the main trail. At 5-minute intervals each person in front moved to the back of the line. They practiced going uphill in fluffy snow and side-stepping to go downhill with control, easier said than done in a couple of instances. Many who had never been off trail before, were confronted with some errant tree branches and roots only partially visible in the snow. They were also impressed by the beauty of the open woods. I went back to the main trail to find a young family who weren’t convinced that they should follow the rest of the group on the “bushwhack.” Dad carried their baby in his arms and the mom tried to help their 5-year-old son to slow down and stay on his feet. After a quick adjustment of bindings, the youngster was off once again, but this time able to walk on his snowshoes with more success. We joined the group and the boy proudly took his place at the head of the line. As we returned to the main trail, some people noticed that ice had formed on the bottom of their snowshoes, the result of walking through a wet area and then back into the snow. Alan introduced the group to the “Rockette” technique of lifting up each snowshoe and hitting the edge on the ground to loosen ice chunks – no choreography, though! Snowmobilers shared the trail with us as we headed back to the parking lot. Many of the novice snowshoers expressed an interest in getting together again for another snowshoe outing. I’m certain that Alan will oblige!

http://picasaweb.google.com/jojazz2004/0927BethlehemYMCASnowshoeOuting?feat=email#

Last edited: