Now that VFTT is the official ranger station...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markv

Reaction score
I thought it was interesting that not one but TWO different ranger stations had no info but suggested i ask here instead.

So...

I'm checking for any last ditch info on the conditions going up either Airline, Valley Way, King's, Great Gulf, Six Husbands, or Osgood. Anyone been up there this week or have a good guess about snow/ice? Also, lwhat ikelihood there will be water (a pump??) at the Madison Hut or the springs at Edmonds won't be under snow and ice? Trip is after this weekend, come hell or high water. At least come hell.

After this weekend, check the trail conditions & the trip reports, I imagine there will be a lot of activity here as the weekend looks pretty good. (so far, knock knock)

The high on Mt Washington today was 46, at least similar temps predicted for the weekend, so snow/ice should not be a problem.

Water is another issue. The soil is saturated, and with the remains of the snow melting and the possibility of rain Fri/Sat stream crossings may be interesting :(

Have a great trip!!

Saturday I went down Airline (after ascending Lowe's Path). Airline was very wet with frequent running water. I wore winter boots (which turned out to be a great decision) so I found conditions on the trail of no major issue. There was not much mud or deep standing water. Snow was encountered above 5000' and was up to 18" deep. The major issue was not stepping between rocks since a blanket of white hid the voids. Traction was good (I carried stabilicers and 6 pt. crampons but didn't need either).

Water at Madison hut is never a problem if you have a filter. The hut is sited adjacent to madison springs and that is always flowing and there would not be snow cover. There was fresh snow down to 3000 feet on Monday, so water will not be a issue (possibily solid :) . The black flies are out in force at 1400 feet in Gorham, so bring lots of Deet!.

I climbed Adams and Madison on Saturday. There was still some snow around the hut but the spring was accessible. Valley Way, below the junction with Watson Path was free of snow and was somewhat wet but not too bad. There were a few blowdowns but they were easily passed. The hut opens this weekend.

markv said:
I thought it was interesting that not one but TWO different ranger stations had no info but suggested i ask here instead.

I have spoken with many caretakers who look here for trail conditions.